Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G1 V.S My Little Pony?

TwilightPomegranate

How Did The Animation Style Improve from G1 to now?  

10 users have voted

1. 1. Did The Animation Improve?

• No, not really..
    • It kinda did, both at a half.
    • Almost, just a few tweaks here and there and the animation will be amazing!
    • It looks awesome now! I love the art style too!

• 3 years later...

Considering that G1 was traditional cel animated, it would be disrespectful in my eyes, for all the hard work that they put into G1, to call a Flash Cartoon an improvement.

So i would say, from the effort and how the Animation turned out, no, the Animation did not improve in G4.

However the My Little Pony Movie from 2017 continued the Legacy, by also being traditional animated, not with cels, but it still looked really good.

If we are Talking About all Gens, i would say G 1 was awesome, G 1.5 a step higher, G2 the same, G3 slightly down again, G 3.5 ( except for These 2 horrible Infant Shorts ) the same, G4 a step down again and the 2017 Movie and Rainbow Roadtrip up again.

Sorry, i just dislike Flash. I have way to much respect for traditional Animation, to ever call a Flash Show better than something traditional animated.

• Brohoof 3

Both animation and art style improved in FIM, with the help of Flash. (this is my opinion)

The original animation of G1 and My Little Pony Tales have quite a lot of errors because of over sea animation teams. But the backgrounds are better than FIM!

The MLP The Movie had amazing and vibrant designs, but the ponies looked too squeezed together, and not as cute as FIM or G1. And the ponies looked blind as well, with all that sparkle dust in their eyes. It was too much! Backgrounds were crazy good though (including BG animations like waterfalls and clouds), much better than FIM!

• Brohoof 3

There is one thing I noticed in G3 when compared to any other generation: Several of the animations were internally inconsistent with the art styles. I noticed this specifically in 'Friends Are Never Far Away'. As a single example of the inconsistency; some ponies (it appeared to be characters from previous animations) have thick black outlines and others (which appeared to be the new characters for that particular story) had very thin or non-existent outlines. It was 'fixed' in the next animation 'A Very Minty Christmas' where all the characters then had thick colored outlines (not black).

Now, G3 didn't have 'seasons', each animation was technically independent of the others as they were all direct-to-dvd/videotape adventures most of which were part of toysets, so the production didn't have the same kind of oversight that the two G1 series and G4 did. That's probably why they were a bit more 'wild and woolly' than any other generation.

• 1 year later...

I think the very first G1 animation (Rescue at Midnight Castle) was pretty decent. It got worse from there though. G3 got a little better. G4, even though it was animated with flash, had way more fluid animation than previous generations. The cherry on top was the MLP movie which improved the animation drastically.

• 2 months later...

Does sloppy, on-the-cheap, outsourced cel animation made for a Saturday morning cartoon look worse then modern, extra crispy, super-colorful tween animation made with modern animation tools?

All joking/facetiousness aside, I feel like it's just plain unfair to compare the two. They were made in radically different time periods under radically different circumstances. The same could be said of the other gens that followed G1; they get increasingly shinier, more polished, and more competently art directed as time goes by. G1, bless it, was strictly meant to sell toys during a time when nobody took cartoons seriously. G4 was meant to create a decent cartoon both kids and their caretakers could enjoy WHILE it sold toys. And everything in between then and now reflects the shift in that creative attitude.

G5 lookin' hella fresh for a MLP property if I do say so myself. Individually detailed eyelashes? Hubba hubba.