Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Theme Song Snag

Color Song

Ok so I've noticed something. I did a search and didn't find a topic on it, so hopefully I'm not redundantly posting anything.

After first learning of MLP and watching the first two episodes, the song jarred me a bit. 

"I used to wonder what friendship could be...."     Uh, no, no you didn't. You blatantly ran away from the ponies you knew in Canterlot and you kept trying NOT to make friends when in Ponyville. You decided they were your friends when your lovely *spark* happened inside you, but you didn't WONDER about friendship.

Based on that, I called Twilight a liar. I got over it, clearly, hahaha, but it still pokes me every time I hear the song. Anyone else? Thoughts? Other takes on it? Maybe I'm just interpreting it incorrectly or something.

Yeah if you take it literally word by word vs. her literal actions within the show.

However, the phrase "I used to wonder what friendship could be" could be taken to mean she did not understand it (friendship) or felt she had no need of it, which she obviously did not until she met the remane 5. She may not have been literally sitting around pondering it all the time, but she showed that she had no real concept of it.

Up until Amending Fences at least we thought she was originally more or less friendless (Yes we saw Minuette and the others in the opener in that one scene, but we really did not learn anything other than they were just random ponies who knew her), however at that point we learned she did have friends although apparently not close enough to remember any of them until Spike reminded her, which just tells me she really did not understand what true friendship was about at that time or at the very least took it for granted.

So no, I don't think she was a liar at all unless you take what she said literally. Songs do often tend to exaggerate thoughts, feelings and phrases for the safe of the song and lyrics, I don't see this as any different.

They could have changed the lyrics to "I never understood what friendship could be" and probably made it match up better.

• Brohoof 1