Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What bugged me about Season 6.

Buck Testa

I thought I was the only one who found her annoying, all she did last year was annoy other ponies and use that annoying party cannon that she would never let go of, but I guess that's what being in the Mane 6 would do to her, the show would never cut/replace her because of what she did in the past.

Well, to be honest I'm kinda tired of seeing the Mane 6 get all the focus. Season 6 was great in my view, to see someone else get the spotlight. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, to be honest I'm kinda tired of seeing the Mane 6 get all the focus. Season 6 was great in my view, to see someone else get the spotlight. 

Me too, the sooner they move on from them, the better the show will become, I appreciate of what they did in the past but I think it's time to look to the future and focus on Starlight and the other characters, hopefully.

• Brohoof 1

Me too, the sooner they move on from them, the better the show will become, I appreciate of what they did in the past but I think it's time to look to the future and focus on Starlight and the other characters, hopefully.

Man I really dislike these view and I find it so weird that EQD has the exact opposite view, so I'm going to use their arguments. Replacing the main cast is a horrible idea, and shows that do it only do it when they jump the shark. If they're done with the characters then end the show, don't shove them in a ditch because You don't want to see them. And nevermind that the Mane 6 still have a ton in them.  These are incredibly developed and likable characters and they're not going anywhere nor should they. These are the MANE 6 and the show wouldn't even remotely be what it is today without them.

Now I'm not against having secondary characters have a more prominent role but how about we use the secondary cast that's been established since season 1 instead of creating Season 1 Twilight all over again except this time without any of her likable quirks and making her more of a sociopath that has everything handed out to her by the writers and the world bend ass over backwards for her. How about we get more Mane cast interaction with Big Mac or Zecora? How about Cheerilee gets in on more stuff or Discord? Why not bring in Sunset Shimmer? Fuck how about that freaking Celestia episode? It's about God Damn time. Having a colorful cast COMPLEMENT, NOT REPLACE the Mane 6 is a great idea because it helps flesh out both the secondary character and the Mane ones. 

tl:dr: Mane 6 awesome, secondary cast should get more love as well.  Also Mr./Ms. GlimGlam04 you sound like 134F19. 

• Brohoof 3

Man I really dislike these view and I find it so weird that EQD has the exact opposite view, so I'm going to use their arguments. Replacing the main cast is a horrible idea, and shows that do it only do it when they jump the shark. If they're done with the characters then end the show, don't shove them in a ditch because You don't want to see them. And nevermind that the Mane 6 still have a ton in them.  These are incredibly developed and likable characters and they're not going anywhere nor should they. These are the MANE 6 and the show wouldn't even remotely be what it is today without them.

Now I'm not against having secondary characters have a more prominent role but how about we use the secondary cast that's been established since season 1 instead of creating Season 1 Twilight all over again except this time without any of her likable quirks and making her more of a sociopath that has everything handed out to her by the writers and the world bend ass over backwards for her. How about we get more Mane cast interaction with Big Mac or Zecora? How about Cheerilee gets in on more stuff or Discord? Why not bring in Sunset Shimmer? Fuck how about that freaking Celestia episode? It's about God Damn time. Having a colorful cast COMPLEMENT, NOT REPLACE the Mane 6 is a great idea because it helps flesh out both the secondary character and the Mane ones. 

tl:dr: Mane 6 awesome, secondary cast should get more love as well.  Also Mr./Ms. GlimGlam04 you sound like 134F19. 

#WeDemPoniez 13-2

That's what I thought about Season 6 and Starlight, in my opinion, she has made the show different from previous seasons since there was little to no change from the previous season, like the Season 4 finale was just the Season 2 premiere with an old G1 character and special effects. That term might also be a reference to putting a new character or QB and somehow the show is doing better than what they did in the past. Her episodes were the only ones where I thought that it wouldn't be something that I saw before or be disappointed.

And about the Mane 6, other than Rainbow becoming a Wonderbolt, I feel that they were no different from previous seasons and if they were, they had regressed, Twilight is no longer the pony we once grew up, Pinkie's only purpose is to annoy other ponies, Fluttershy's doesn't have much dialogue and is only there because the fans love her. If we ever see development in the Mane 6, it should've happened in Season 3 or 4 where they where in their prime, I think now it's too late for that to happen and fans aren't very patient these days. I understand what they did in the past was great but when you keep riding on your past success rather than what's going on now, it's going to become a problem in the future, look at some of the shows who refuse to make any major changes, most are not doing well in my opinion.

• Brohoof 1

I just don't see it, I feel like pretty much every season we had a good mix of great, good, average and weaker episodes.

Overall id say it didn't have quite as many super high highs as S5 or S4 but it's lows were much less low than S4 (not S5 since I think that's the best season of hte show). The only truly terrible episodes IMO were Applejacks Day Off for comitting one of the worst sins an episode can: being boring. and Cart Before the Ponies for being the most character butchery episode since "Somepony to watch Over Me"

But I also think this is the best season Fluttershy and Spike ever had by far, about on par for Twilight as 5 even if she got less focus I felt she had more personality, about average for Rarity and Pinkie (which means really good) first half was bellow average for AJ, second half above. I will admit it was fairly weak for Rainbow but other than 3 and 5 I can't think of a season where Dash ISN'T the most inconsistent.

And I like Starlight Glimmer and thought her episodes were consistently really strong. She's a hell of a better character than Sunset "my personality totally changed between movies and then after one good story I became almost as boring as S4 Twilight" Shimmer. 

And who really cares if Gift of Maud Pie and Hearths Warming Tale weren't the most original premise's they were both exeucted well, used the characters well and were fun to watch. The show's always had some pretty tropey episodes as long as their fun who gives a damn really.

And what show DOESN'T do a Christmas Carol episode? Honestly I though HWT was one of hte best iv ever seen. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 2

*Snip*

1) If the show is really and I mean really out of idea, then end it. Sure go ahead with a spin off set in the same universe but end the main show then if they're really done.

B ) They aren't done. They have a happy ending right where they are, yes and they could end it but the exact same could be said when Twilight became an Alicorn and look at what they did. Just because one story line ended doesn't mean the characters are through. There are plenty of storylines with each of these characters, the writers just have to explore them instead of shoving them aside because they'd rather write for sociopath season 1 Twilight clone instead of them.

III)Pinkie's purpose is to bring smiles to everyone's faces. You can find her annoying but she's not. Look at Gift of the Maud Pie, there is legitimate character stuff going on there and shows she is a whole hell of a lot more than the annoying ADD pony. 

$) Season 5 was absolutely fantastic because of how it used and developed it's characters. Pinkie Pie has a ton of depth. Fluttershy was on her A game showing just how far she's come and how she can be used going forward. Twilight had to learn hard lessons. Rainbow Dash had to deal with lose. There was a ton of great character moments that pushed the show and showed that the show wasn't anywhere close to done with these characters. The thing is the writers have to care about them and both want to write them and understand them. The writers of season 6 really didn't have both for a fair share of episodes. The writers that wanted to write for them were rather new and so didn't understand them and the writers that understood them didn't want to writer for them *Cough*Haber's Pet*cough*. Some of the best episodes of season 6 were ones that had both like Saddle Row Review, Flutter Brutter or Top Bolt where the writers has a passion in them. Now I'm not saying having supporting cast members play a bigger role is a bad thing but they have to respect the Mane cast, not shove them aside and reduce them all to make the new super special unicorn look good. Episodes like Gauntlet of Fire and Discords and Dungeons showed off how you could do that. Even episodes from past seasons showed this off like Brotherhooves Social and Make New Friends but Keep Discord. Those were episode were not centered on the Mane 6 but they respected them and showed them interacting with the characters instead of trying to get them out of the way because having them there would spoil the new character. 

Edited by Sidral Mundet

The post above mine.

They would end it, probably is, now would be a bad time to do it because we have no idea what's going to happen in Season 7 or who will the main character will be in that season. That's one reason why some fans are impatient about hearing news about it and I guess that's why we haven't heard about it yet.

The difference between Twilight being an alicorn and Starlight being a main character was that after Season 3 ended, we knew that there was going to be no major change since the main cast was going to be the same anyway and as for Starlight, just look at the point above. And plenty of storylines? When is that going to happen? It took 6 seasons for Rainbow to become a Wonderbolt, Twilight refuses to try out her friends interests who ironically is the Princess of Friendship, I thought Gift of the Maud Pie was really low for Pinkie, it was to a point that I no longer funny and just want to annoy ponies with that party cannon of hers, I just wish somepony would tell her to be quiet like that nurse in Baby Cakes and I would much rather have the show focus on the Twilight clone rather than the bland and predictable adventures of the Mane 6, the show is called Friendship is Magic, not the adventures of the Mane 6, it doesn't have to be focused on them.

As for Rainbow Dash, it seems like that she has forgotten what she had learnt and she just goes back to what it was and every time she does something wrong, she doesn't get punished for it, Spitfire was the only one to do that for her in Season 6. The one thing that annoyed me about previous seasons was that they had to feature the Mane 6 even if they wasn't the main focus, this was evident with Slice of Life, last season, they finally had an episode where it didn't feature them at all and I feel this is a step in the right direction.

What's the worst that can happen if the Mane 6 weren't the main cast anymore, is there something evil going to happen if they weren't the main cast? I don't why they can't go with Starlight, if they wanted to be a good show, they got to take some chances and I feel this a good one.

• Brohoof 1

Insert

Oh boy it's going to be one of those isn't it. Well first things first, might as well establish that neither one of us is going to convince the other regardless of however "reasonable" we think our reasons are. 

First off Mane 6 are the stars still. Hasbro said as much. While I have my doubts, the Mane 6 are still clearly the main leads and have the upcoming movie.

You weren't around for the Twilicorn drama were you because I can tell you that that was never something people knew about when she first hit the scene. And with the Wonderbolt thing, it took the CMC 5 to get their cutie marks. Length doesn't matter and Rainbow had only one episode at best per season dedicated to achieving her goal of being a Wonderbolt. 

Okay for one thing I can clearly see you have no emotional investment in the Mane 6 at all. My question is why did you even start watching the show then? At this point you might as well confirm your 134F19 cause you have the same responds they have. 

And now onto the big question you asked, what would be the worst? Easy, you lose your audience. Fact remains that the audience of the show is emotionally invested in the ongoing of the Mane 6, they are the main characters and the one people have invested in. While not everyone's favorite character is a member of the Mane 6, you're going to be hardpressed to find someone other than yourself who doesn't have at least one in their top ten let alone top five.  The Mane 6 are why people started watching the show and why they want to continue watching it, to see how the characters they love go on. Dropping them isn;t going to win them to the show, people by far and large are always going to be more invested in the characters than the setting and the Mane 6 are the most popular characters.  I mean image how people would react if all Batman comic books decide to go and say Batman's no longer ever going to appear in them, that the character many love will not be seen again and instead a reformed Two-Face is going to be the new star of the franchise. That's never going to fly because people want to read about the adventure of Batman. Same prinicpal applies here, people are fine with a colorful and extended cast but they're there for the charcaters they like. 

Dropping them works for you because you don't have that investment, instead having it in Starlight and considering the Mane 6 finished. Now I could easily say Starlight's arc is done and finished so therefore the show should drop her and send her away. Hell I would honestly consider that an improvement. You wouldn't and you know why? Because you're invested in Starlight and want to see her go forward, and because of that investment you want to see more and more of her while you would like to see characters you aren't invested in ie the Mane 6 get out of the way of the ones you are invested in. That opinion will always be in the vocal minority, not the having Starlight part but in dropping the Mane 6 part because they are the reason so many started watching and the vast majority loves them

insert

If they were the main lead, Hasbro or anyone from the show would've just said it by now but nobody has answered that anywhere even on Twitter, the writers and voice actors has stayed quiet so maybe it's something that they know that we don't.

I was around before Season 3 began and from what I can remember, yes there were some people whining about Twilight leaving her friends or the show ending, but that was at the time when the show was still in it's prime, if Twilight left now, I don't think it would matter now that we have a suitable replacement for her.

Being a Wonderbolt and getting your cutie mark are two different things, being a Wonderbolt takes a shorter time because you don't have to find out what your true talent really is and you usually get your cutie mark at a young age, Rainbow had being dreaming about that even before the series begun.

I used to like them for the first 4 and a half seasons especially Applejack, but after Bats! I felt that the show lost it's magic and when we didn't have a season in 2014-15, I thought that's where I lost interest in the show because we were expecting nothing different from Season 4 and I was partially right about that one since there wasn't an episode that I liked from that season. And as for Equestria Daily, I don't even comment on that site and I have no idea who that user is, I try to stay away from commenting, rather than reading the comments that the others posted.

From what I heard from EQD, the ones that dislike Starlight are just a small but vocal group of people, the rest have been generally positive, there was even a poll to prove that they wanted her back in future seasons and you'll lose your audience if you keep recycling the same stuff every season, fans would grow tired of it and they will just leave, maybe not even come back, so you'll do more bad than good if you just stick with the same stuff rather than come up with something different. The difference between MLP and Batman is that that series is named after him so obviously it's going to be focused on him and I don't think people get tired of him because doesn't have a bland personality like what Twilight does. Since FiM isn't exclusive on the Mane 6, I don't see why they can't go with the change and I've seen people grow tired of the Mane 6 like the user above me said it.

That is like sticking with a player that's been with the team for quite some time but when he starts to decline, you also have an unproven rookie who is waiting to take over but you stick with the veteran and when he goes down, the rookie takes over and when the rookie starts winning games for you and by the time the veteran is healthy again, he is forced to sit because the rookie is doing a better job as him, that's what I feel about Starlight, I'm not saying get rid of them, but rather put them in a minor role since they don't really have much of a purpose now and I rather see the show move forward with another character rather than sticking to a main cast because of what they did in the past.

Edited by GlimGlam04
  • Brohoof 1

Season 6 for me was some of the most disappointing episodes that this show has put out. Please note the use of the word "disappointing" instead of words like "crap" or "garbage", cause I wasn't really angry with any of the episodes that came out. 

Just disappointed. 

In some ways, that's actually worse than being mad with the series, because that means that I wasn't able to garner enough passion towards this season too even feel anger. When a bad episode aired in a previous season I was heated, I had made posts about how it could be made better, and I've even admonished people for judging the show before a season even aired, much like with the announcement of Flurry Heart. 

I was right too, Flurry Heart was not the bad thing about season six. Her introduction has been so unimportant that I dare say the season could have taken her out of it and nearly nothing would change save for the premier. Even her appearance in the season finale was entirely inconsequential. No it wasn't Flurry Heart that was the bane of the season, nor was it even Starlight Glimmer per say (though she plays a role). The real killer of my enthusiasm for the show lies with the writing. 

The abysmally on the nose, lack luster, painfully cringe inducing writing that makes me question why I'm watching the show to begin with. 

i'm talking about writing that went to plot ideas so uninspired that they've been stale for literally hundreds of years. Episodes ideas that are so worn out and overused like Gift of the Magi, liar revealed, an episode about characters with different points of view, A Christmas carol,  episodes that make the normally competent characters look dumb, episodes that forget the basic character development that's already happened, and a few genuinely good episodes sprinkled in there as well. Its not just that they used these basic uninspired plots, other seasons have done that too; What is worse is that they didn't do ANYTHING NEW with these plots. Gift of the Maud Pie was just Gift of the Magi with ponies, that's it. A Hearths Warming Tail was just a Christmas carol with ponies, that's it. There was no real notable creative twist too any of it, it was just the plot equivalent of paint by numbers with ponies. 

Paint by Numbers plotting isn't a horrible sin, however coupling that with the writing this season has been subjected too doesn't make it any more palatable. Hearing character after character becoming exposition machines that regurgitate previous episodes instead of moving the plot forward was just painful to witness. first episode of this season alone was just painfully bloated with exposition, enough where challenging someone to a drinking contest based on each line of exposition uttered would be a fatal venture to pursue. 

Exposition is a necessary evil sometimes, but when the lines of dialogue that are used to traffic the exposition are so clumsy and literal, it ends up destroying immersion in the story entirely. A good example would be the Last Airbender movie. Many lines of exposition and narration in that movie were so awkward that it made people angry and more confused. Instead of filling people in on the plot it just pulled people out of it. Season 6 has plenty of instances where they are guilty of the same offences. 

If season 7 is going to pick up its game, then its new writers are going to need to figure out how to tell a story without leaning on these tired plots and these painfully shoe'd in lines of exposition. While I have my hopes they are going to do just that, you'll have to forgive me for having a decent amount of skepticism that most of these writers have the capacity to do this. 

:huh: 

Am I the only one here perhaps considering these ancient plots are  tried-and-true plots for a reason? Please remember this show is marketed and made (i.e. written) for a YOUNG audience, typically the kind of audience that doesn't know anything about "good" writing or "tired plots." The show (and animation company) is perfectly within its rights and bounds to write this way. Each new generation learns the plots from their own exposure to them. By suggesting the show pander to an older audience and write more sophisticatedly, (because let's face it, that's exactly what you're purporting here) you would rob these children from learning these lessons and perspectives as every other generation did before them. This show isn't for the elite, the educated, or the cerebrally-oriented adult crowd. It's fine if you enjoy it, but I think it's ludicrous that you should seemingly think your standards are THE standards to follow without considering the Big Picture, meaning, you can watch it, but remember, it isn't for YOU (or for me, for that matter) we are side audiences, niche markets.

TLDR: Constructive criticism is one thing, but you also need to keep a more...unbiased...position if you do not want to come across as an orgulous ninnyhammer spouting humbuggery.

:orly: 

Edited by Color Song
  • Brohoof 2

I was intoxicated for every episode.... 

seemed fine to me.

Am I the only one here perhaps considering these ancient plots are  tried-and-true plots for a reason? Please remember this show is marketed and made (i.e. written) for a YOUNG audience, typically the kind of audience that doesn't know anything about "good" writing or "tired plots." The show (and animation company) is perfectly within its rights and bounds to write this way. Each new generation learns the plots from their own exposure to them. By suggesting the show pander to an older audience and write more sophisticatedly, (because let's face it, that's exactly what you're purporting here) you would rob these children from learning these lessons and perspectives as every other generation did before them. This show isn't for the elite, the educated, or the cerebrally-oriented adult crowd. It's fine if you enjoy it, but I think it's ludicrous that you should seemingly think your standards are THE standards to follow without considering the Big Picture, meaning, you can watch it, but remember, it isn't for YOU (or for me, for that matter) we are side audiences, niche markets.

TLDR: Constructive criticism is one thing, but you also need to keep a more...unbiased...position if you do not want to come across as an orgulous ninnyhammer spouting humbuggery.

I think people forget that part.

• Brohoof 1

I was intoxicated for every episode.... 

seemed fine to me.

I think people forget that part.

Yeah, I liked it too (though my favorite was, and probably will remain, season 3), and yes, it does seem to me too often people (read- adults) forget this is a cartoon meant for the young developing minds of the next generation(s).

That is like sticking with a player that's been with the team for quite some time but when he starts to decline, you also have an unproven rookie who is waiting to take over but you stick with the veteran and when he goes down, the rookie takes over and when the rookie starts winning games for you and by the time the veteran is healthy again, he is forced to sit because the rookie is doing a better job as him, that's what I feel about Starlight, I'm not saying get rid of them, but rather put them in a minor role since they don't really have much of a purpose now and I rather see the show move forward with another character rather than sticking to a main cast because of what they did in the past.

I really didn't think I was going to respond to this thread of discussion, but I kind of have to because of this point.

1) The Mane Six are not comparable to a player on a team who's going downhill. They are still quite capable ponies, and are not declining in any stretch of the word (barring a couple of episodes by writers who don't know how to write certain characters). 

2) In this real life scenario, you'd be right. However...

3) This is a fictional universe. I compare the Mane Six to the Pony Equivalent of the Justice League of DC fame, or perhaps hitting a little closer to the target demographic, the main cast of the longest running children's show I know of: Arthur. Using your logic, PBS should have replaced the characters of Arthur, Buster, Francine, Muffy, DW, Mr. and Mrs. Reid, Mr. Ratburn, Binky, and Brain over fifteen years ago, just because they had already had their run. 

I'm sorry, but I disagree with you that it's time to move on. The characters still have much to learn and much to do. Trying to shift them off to minor roles would be the same as having the Justice League or Arthur step out of their shows because they've had the focus too long in a series they built. Barring an extremely desperate decision on Hasbro's part to "save the franchise" and thus their wallets, I do not expect to see a paradigm shift of that magnitude happening anytime soon.

Edited by GlaciesFrost
  • Brohoof 1

And there were multiple reply inbetween. Man was it annoying to jump back and forth over them. 

Hasbro said so in a press release: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2016/10/my-little-pony-season-7-officially.html

Well people were complaining about Twilight being more important than her friends and the show becoming the Twilight Sparkle show, that's what a large amount of the fandom was worried about. 

No being a Wonderbolt takes a longer time. It's called age. Yes Rainbow was focused on getting into it but that was never the focus of the show, it was a side plot so it taking longer is fine because it never was the sole focus of Rainbow's character.

Okay fair enough, that one commenter seems to have very similar views as you do. 

Now this isn't about disliking Starlight, it's about dislike/removing the Mane 6. Now I will admit I am very Anti-Glimmer but that is besides the point at the moment.  And yes recycling plot is not great either, but they haven't done that, not really. And like I keep saying I'm not against having a more diverse secondary cast, but the key word there is secondary, that the Mane cast is still the Mane cast. Also and I can't believe I'm saying this, but Twilight does not have a bland personality. I may not like her compared to the rest of the Mane 6 but she is far from bland. You're imprinting your own feelings onto how you want the show to be run, though that's not to say I'm not doing the same. And the fact remains that both you and that other user are in the minority. And before you go off the season 6 finale was not unique, it was the same as many of the other finales before it with the same plot structure,same type of protagonist and so one. If you really want to get unique, have the focus be on someone other than the Magic OP unicorn with zero social skills, like have Rainbow Dash or Fluttershy take lead in a two-parter, now that would be unique.

And I'm saying don't. This isn't a sports team. For one thing it doesn't need to keep going on. If they think they're finished then finish the show and have a spin off. Now you want more Starlight fine, I don't. I want to see more of the Mane 6 because they're not Old -grizzled veterans. They're in their prime, they have been since Season 5. I want to see where they'll go and what they'll do far more than some upstart unicorn bitch. (That's a TFS reference FYI, no actual insult was meant) Also what GlaciesFrost said. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm not unbiased. Never claimed to be. 

There is nothing inherently wrong with using tried and true plots. HOWEVER, there is a distinct difference between having a general recipe and making it your own thing and doing a half assed job following the barest of outlines of the original plot ideas and barely doing anything extra with it at all besides slapping ponies on it.

As a side not, I do not nor do I expect to ever hate Starlight Glimmer. However, the mind control spell... that touched a nerve for me. I am very pro-free will, and against even the concept of someone overriding another's will with their own. 

*shudder* 

Forgetting that one episode, where she hopefully learned her lesson about anything resembling hypnosis or mind control (I pray nopony else ever learns a spell like that), she's a good character. She's dry, witty, has a biting sarcastic sense of humor, all things I can appreciate. By all means, give her some Starlight-centered episodes next season. I don't want her and Trixie replacing the entire Mane cast, however, especially considering Trixie's schtick gets old almost as fast as Pinkie Pie's does when she's being annoying instead of just a little spastic.

Edited by GlaciesFrost
  • Brohoof 2

Removing the original main cast for any show is usually a good way to kill your show and drive off your entire fanbase, and if anything Hasbro of all companies should know how poorly it can go

Last time they tried to do something like that, it was the original G1 Transformers, which first started at the movie. They completely killed off, reduced the roles of, or otherwise never brought up again, the original Transformers characters like Optimus Prime, Iron Hide, Bumblebee, SIdeswipe, etc.,, and replaced them with an entire new cast for the 3rd season and forced the audience to like the new characters. You know what happened? The franchise ended up tanking in popularity, people didn't want Hot Rod/Rodimus Prime, they wanted Optimus back. And Hot Rod/Rodimus was a much better character than Starlight to boot.

Even as someone who liked the movie and most of the new cast like Rodimus, Arcee, Kup, Springer, etc., replacing the old characters and forcing the audience to get used to a new cast was an incredibly awful idea then, and is an incredibly awful idea now

Edited by Whompy Whomperson
  • Brohoof 3

insert

The difference between this show and the shows you mentioned are the personalities, if I saw the characters from the shows that you mentioned, I would have no problem if they weren't boring or bland or flawed, that's what I feel about the Mane 6, they're still doing stuff that would've been suitable for little kids, but the majority aren't little kids in fact, they're a lot older than that. They really need to start focusing on the people that do watch it rather than the intended audience since most don't follow it anyway. Also, they did not have a secondary character who was the focus for one third of the season.

read above 

That could mean anything, plus I'm not buying it since that was before the S6 finale's actual air date, it could mean the Mane 6 could be the focus for half the season or 3 quarters of a season but not the important ones like the finale I mentioned, we haven't had any recent news since that announcement.

Yes, that's what I was concerned about, I feel that the writers never gave the others the chance and it will ruin the show's reputation if they focused on Twilight.

Who knows how long she's been thinking about that, could be when she was a filly, that we'll probably never know.

I never once considered getting rid of the Mane 6, they'll always have a role in the show, but I think their past achievements have been glorified for too long and it's coming to a point whether they still have it. They will always have their own episodes every season but I don't they are once the heroes of Equestria like they were used to, like last season, it was all Starlight, Throax, Trixie, Sunburst, etc. we never once saw them save Equestria and the previous season, it was Twilight in the finale and Fluttershy was primarily the one who stop Starlight in the premiere. And what do Rainbow and Fluttershy know about friendship, if it was up to them to stop Chrysalis, they're screwed because Twilight never taught them the stuff that she taught Starlight.

I really do hope the writers do come up with the Mane 6 next season and in the film, I only want Starlight to be the main character as a last resort if they have run out of ideas but I doubt that because she was the one who saved Equestria but Chrysalis is still on the loose so they're not safe yet, if the episodes are just as mediocre as the previous seasons then I feel that the writers is wasting their prime and that they got what they wanted and I feel it's only a few seasons left until they declining if the writers don't take this seriously.

As a side not, I do not nor do I expect to ever hate Starlight Glimmer. However, the mind control spell... that touched a nerve for me. I am very pro-free will, and against even the concept of someone overriding another's will with their own. 

*shudder* 

Forgetting that one episode, where she hopefully learned her lesson about anything resembling hypnosis or mind control (I pray nopony else ever learns a spell like that), she's a good character. She's dry, witty, has a biting sarcastic sense of humor, all things I can appreciate. By all means, give her some Starlight-centered episodes next season. I don't want her and Trixie replacing the entire Mane cast, however, especially considering Trixie's schtick gets old almost as fast as Pinkie Pie's does when she's being annoying instead of just a little spastic.

I think Trixie will remain as a minor character, it's Starlight who probably going to be honored for what she did in Chrysalis' kingdom, probably.

Its more what the video had to say than his credentials, though I posit "its about time" was a more fleshed out and interesting episode than most of the amateurish crap that went on this season.  

I'll allow that "P.P.O.V." (and, for that matter, "Buckball Season" and "The Cart Before the Ponies") are kinda beneath this show, but otherwise I'm not sure there's a whole lot of episodes from season 6 which I'd put below "It's About Time," and I certainly wouldn't call much of season 6 "amateurish crap" like you did.  

I think Trixie will remain as a minor character, it's Starlight who probably going to be honored for what she did in Chrysalis' kingdom, probably.

Forgive me, but I must do this. Starlight saved pretty much the entire Mane Cast... Twilight basically did the same thing in Season 2's finale... and half of Equestria still apparently don't know her by sight. Fame in Equestria seems either fleeting, really hard to gain and maintain... or ponies just in general don't read the news.

I'll allow that "P.P.O.V." (and, for that matter, "Buckball Season" and "The Cart Before the Ponies") are kinda beneath this show, but otherwise I'm not sure there's a whole lot of episodes from season 6 which I'd put below "It's About Time," and I certainly wouldn't call much of season 6 "amateurish crap" like you did.  

...B-b-b-but I liked Buckball Season. 

Edited by GlaciesFrost

Forgive me, but I must do this. Starlight saved pretty much the entire Mane Cast... Twilight basically did the same thing in Season 2's finale... and half of Equestria still apparently don't know her by sight. Fame in Equestria seems either fleeting, really hard to gain and maintain... or ponies just in general don't read the news.

Well, she's the main hero, that was expected, plus they already have a window dedicated to them in the Season 2 premiere. Starlight has got to be honored in some way for saving the most important ponies in Equestria.

Edited by GlimGlam04

It absolutely has its charms, but I just struggle to accept the notion that Fluttershy picked up the sport so easily, let alone became better than either Rainbow Dash or Applejack despite having had little practice or training at all. 

Not to mention it was one of, like, 3 of AJ's only good appearances the entire season, and also a much needed episode for Rainbow too after the Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later debacles 

And again

Okay last post from me. I'm going to bed and I'm not going to be reresponding any time soon (or probably ever if I had the choice) so just an FYI.

Fair enough and I do doubt the Mane 6 will play a big role in the two-parters but unlike you I hold that idea in both dread and contempt. Like you've said, this show is called Friendship is Magic, so how about you show off the friendship part instead of the Magic part and have one of the Remane 5 carry the episodes instead of skipping them entirely for a new character?

So if you feel like the writers never gave the others a chance, why not rectify that and have them take the lead or get more of an arc? 

Okay I think we're coming to a general consensus or at the very least a mutual understanding. Now I will admit constantly having the Mane 6 always on screen is a bad idea. Episodes like Brotherhooves Social and Discord and Dungeons show how good the show can be without the Mane cast and I don't mind them giving more screen time to other characters. Episodes like Make New Friends but Keep Discord and Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep? were great episodes that had the Mane cast play a supporting role. But the fact is I still want the Mane 6 to play a large role and for us to have moments with them. 

And how did Starlight's lesson in any way help her beat Chrysalis? They didn't do jack because there was the Thorax Ex Machina that just saved the day for her. Thorax learning about friendship is what saved the day, not Starlight.  Fluttershy and Rainbow could have saved the day if the writers wanted them to but they didn't.  And don't go on about how Fluttershy and Rainbow don't know about Friendship, they know more about than Starlight does and they don't need remedial lessons on it.  Hell they;re the two longest friends on the show. 

It absolutely has its charms, but I just struggle to accept the notion that Fluttershy picked up the sport so easily, let alone became better than either Rainbow Dash or Applejack despite having had little practice or training at all. 

Ok, this I can address. Rainbow Dash also had no idea what the sport was like before hearing about it, so she also had no practice. Also, Rainbow Dash is a bit more... easily distracted when she has to basically hold still and watch the ball (let's be honest, they're playing a version of soccer/football), basically playing goalie. Rainbow is better where her speed and power will aid her. Fluttershy is more patient and has been shown to be fairly athletic when she tries (I imagine as a result of dealing with animals up to ten times her size on the regular). She doesn't move much, she can focus, and her tail does have a reach advantage over Dashie's, being significantly longer and all. There are also games you just kind of pick up and run with and are just kind of good at. Badminton was mine, and I don't have an athletic bone in my body.

EDIT: I will admit they hammed it up a little hard, though, with Pinkie and Flutters being better than them by a wide margin, but... eh, I'll let it slide since it was actually pretty funny to me.

Edited by GlaciesFrost