Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What is snow like where you live?

CastletonSnob

Most of California doesn't get snow at all, and even if it's below zero, the climate is usually too dry to allow any sort of snow. You'll likely get frost on the windows and the cement if you live around the Bay Area, but no snow. If you want to see snow as a Californian you usually have to drive hours to the mountains or to the far north of CA. 

I'm in that sweet spot where even the smallest amount usually cancels or delays school, but it doesn't snow often enough to constitute the state or counties investing heavily into snow plows and such. It is pretty inconsistent, but it is most welcome (at least by me) when it does snow. 

At my current location it's almost non-existent.  But even with this semi-arid climate, I don't need to go too far find snow aplenty.

We used to visit the andean mountain range during winter. And in one night, we woke up, went outside and it was all snowy.

It was great to experience this swift enviromental change, getting to play with snow for the first time and all. Great fun.

Here in Indiana, snow can be quite bipolar. Ha! Get it? BiPOLAR? Snow? Polar? Eh.

It really is though. Some winter, we will go the entire season without snow, yet we could get like, 3 feet of snow in April. That happened before. Then other times, we get snow, but also ice storms. Each winter season is hard to predict how it will go.

Where I live, snow is very rare! If it does snow, we'll usually get some light snowflakes for several hours, and everything melts within the day. During high school, was one year where it snowed a considerable amount, and it was a ton of fun making a snowman and throwing snowballs (not to mention that the schools were closed for a time ;) ). 

Usually we get a decent amount of snow where I live.

And we ended up with a lot of ice and snow early on in December, but after a while things got warmer.

It ended up being 65 degrees the day after Christmas, and there isn't any snow on the ground right now.

I live in southeast Michigan in the US, So I get PLENTY of snow. We usually get one big snow of a foot or more in a year and about 5-6 more smaller snows over 6 inches. I personally HATE winter. When I was a kid it was fun with sledding, snow fort/igloo building, and of course SNOW DAYS off school.

When you get older it just turns annoying. You have to shovel it, scrape your car, drive in it AND deal with idiot drivers. Also the salt LITERALLY dissolves your car. :baconmane:

Snowmobiling is fun however, but I don't have much time to do that.

Edited by Cirrus.

We have British weather where I live.
Only lighter.
It doesn't stop raining most of the time, but it's usually light rain.
Rarely ever snows and when it does we get maybe 3 inches, tops.
More often than not, it'll snow, turn to rain, freeze, and then snow for a bit before raining again.
Then all of it'll melt the next few days.
:/

• Brohoof 1

Living in Britain, Lancashire means, cus of the coast and salt in the air, snow... Doesn't happen for years in between, and when it does snow it rarely stays and becomes proper snow, it usually becomes slush or turns a dirty gray as it melts into the ground so quickly it's really weird, I haven't experienced snow here or at all in around 6 years  :(

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

Texas doesn't get snow, unless you're in the panhandle.

But in Washington I remember it snowing every other year for a few days at a time. It was nice and fluffy, aside from the fact that when you expose yourself to it for too long, you started getting frostbite.

Edited by ~Dusky~

In Massachusetts we get some pretty legit snowstorms from time to time. Most people who've never seen snow envision a beautiful white coating, and that's true for the first few days. But the reality is after that it's just constant dirty slush for weeks ^_^