Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What is snow like where you live?

CastletonSnob

We tend to get more ice than snow. If it does snow it lasts a couple of days at most. Sometimes it's melted by afternoon but the roads and sidewalks are still covered in ice. I love cold weather but if there was one thing I hate it would be trying to walk through the snow and ice to get to, from, and while working.

There hasn’t been much snow here in northeren Illinois over the past few years. We might get a few inches but that’s about it. I miss getting tons of snow.

Odd enough, there hasn't been much snow this year considering how much we had last year(last January that is) it's barely snowed and the snow that does come doesn't stick around very long.  I kinda miss the snow, odd as it is to say that.

Hasn’t been snowing recently where I am, but when it does it can become a blizzard. I love that, because winter is easily my favorite season and I wish I lived in a place where it stormed more. I’d call the amount we get about moderate even if there’s snow storms. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Every year, it feels more and more like our climate is shifting closer and closer to Florida's. Most storm systems in the winter just bring rain, and *if* we even get snow it's always just the fringe of the backside of it, where the highest totals are ever a dusting or trace. And because it never stays cold anymore, any accumulation is gone in an instant.

In early 2021, I will be inclined to make a spoof "ten year challenge" where I post a picture of the over a foot of snow we saw in February of 2011 and the trace of snow we can barely manage to get now. Unless late 2020/early 2021 manages to randomly give us our first real snow storm since 2011, but it's a pattern now. Late 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and early 2020 have all been complete flops. Even taking climate change into account, I'm still baffled by how it could change so suddenly from a pattern of good snows every year to none every year following.

Snow is here in the rhineland often muddy and wet. Really nice powdersnow is a rarity. And it become more and more a rarity that we got snow at all. When I was younger, snow was more common (also often wet and muddy, but at least we had snow), but in the last few winter, snow became a really rare experience.

Snow is often common here but not as much as it used to be. 2010 was our last real blizzard. Since then it's been nothing but snow squals and then back to work. There were a few times in 2014 we had to go school because the snow was that bad, but out Mayor thought otherwise... 

• 1 year later...

Barely existent here in Tennessee. From Michigan where it snowed way more, I miss it in theory but in practice snow got annoying to deal with.

It’s artificial. We don’t get a lot of snow in Anaheim, but Disneyland on occasion blows some fake snow from the rooftops during holiday celebrations. I think it’s primarily soap suds. Some of the houses decorated for Christmas have elaborate shaved ice blowers but I imagine that’s pretty expensive so there's not a whole lot of that going on.

Usually in the way and way too much on years you don't need it and non existent on years you do.

Likes to drift infront of the door too. Always.

The cows like to play in it, usually when you are trying to move snow, so they like to play king of the hill, and the calves will sleep in a snow drift, because its warm or they're...calves.

Otherwise I prefer the years that have tons of snow as that usually means we can actually grow something as most of our moisture comes from the snow. And I like it in general, it's nice to see everything so bright and clean looking. Fun to sled in and see the neat forms that form in the drifts around buildings and such.

• 1 year later...