Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are 80% of the songs so terrible?

TheAnimatorOfficial

WARNING: LENGTHY OPINION BELOW.

Listen, I get that this is meant to be different than the main series but do you HAVE to make everything so unbearably cringy and lazy?

I don't mind pop music. In fact what they did with Frienship Through the Ages is highly creative! But (for the most part) instead of putting effort into the "songs" they make everything the same exact glam tune with really off singing. Not to mention the dubstep is atrocious (MLP theme remix).

And as for the lyrics? Oh god. When you have lines such as "You've got nothing on us na na na na na na na" and "I'm gonna be myself no matter what I do" and "Awesome as I wanna be" and "This is our big night" and ESPECIALLY "You can pick up a bass, you can play the guitar! You can bang on the drums, and you can sing like a star!" I have no words for you.

There are exceptions however. The first four songs of the LOE soundtrack is as great as the show itself, and Unleash The Magic is a grand number that pays homage to Disney villain songs, namely Poor Unfortunate Souls.

Please remember that this is my opinion and that I have nothing against those who like this sort of music.

• Brohoof 4

I agree that some of the songs can get very annoying and redundant (having the same message and all) But I do enjoy a lot of the beats they make the songs out of. 

OMYGOSH if they made more music like in the 100th episode (DJ and Octavia total beat down) I would be a lot more happy with that kind of beat then anything.... WITH that said I only enjoy some of the MLP actual song (mostly pinkie pies cause her are catchy and stick) then a few of the Mane 6 songs (like 3-5)

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, I thought that Rainbow Rocks and Friendship Games had some solid songs. Nothing entirely memorable for the latter, but they're still fun to listen to.

Though I will agree that the first EqG suffers from this slightly; a bit too poppy for my tastes.

• Brohoof 4

Rainbow Rocks was pretty decent in the song department, but overall, EqG music holds nothing on the main series. EqG's music sadly goes under that cliche that everything that is within THAT genre of movies has to have the pop music constantly. Irritates me. We have had very talented people make very good music for FiM and it seems that same talent didn't care over to EqG. Personally, I don't think those movies are good enough to deserve it anyways.

• Brohoof 4

It's so bad because it's MLP HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL. That is what it is. Now that I think about it, I don't know why I thought EQG was even okay... It was actually pretty bad.

Yeah like I've used the word "bad" enough times this year. Not even the whole population of the small town I live in could count them on all of their fingers...

Edited by TwillyFSniper

I actually prefer the songs in the Equestria Girls movies as opposed to the songs from FiM, though I will admit that some EQG songs don't really stick out in my mind as being either good or memorable. Most of them I can easily listen to for years on end--including memorizing their lyrics down to the letter--because they both appeal to me and have some pretty nice instrumentals to go along with them.

• Brohoof 3

as a musician, I beg to differ. The EQG songs have been somewhat better than most of the last season's songs in my opinion. Nothing really stood out this time, except Luna's Future (for me that is). 

I LOVE pretty much every song from EQG movies, but I do have a minor gripe with the Lyrics in some of them, "I didn't know what I didn't know" from Midnight In Me..... seriously Dan, you kinda drew the short straw here (I'm currently covering that song as I love it, but that lyric always bugs me) 

The ones I wernt so keen on at the start have also grown on me, Unleash the Magic and Legend of the Everfree put me off at first, but I've found myself singing along as soon as theyre played now. I still dont really like Trixie's song, i think its one of the weakest, but the lyrics are great "no need to brag no need to boast but im a six course meal and youre just burnt toast" genius. 

Im also in love with the sirens! I love that there was a reason to have musical characters and I LOVE LOVE LOVE their songs. 

I think some people are pointing fingers at the EQG songs too soon still as its not quite pony and the songs arent always amazing when you first hear them, just give them more of a listen, maybe just slot them into a shuffled playlist of pony and see if they grow on you. If you over listen then of course youre gonna find yourself hating them. 

My partner still doesnt like "shake your tail"

• Brohoof 3

The songs from the first two movies were great, in my opinion. But I thought the songs were hit or miss from the third and fourth movies. 

And I think My Past Is Not Today is the best song the show as ever done. 

I think I have a heavy bias towards Rainbow Rocks because I love the Dazzlings so much.

(and they're likely the only EQG dolls I will ever own, lol)

I find myself listening to Rainbow Rocks soundtrack a LOT and absentmindedly skipping the mane 6's songs, lol.

I thought the cafeteria song in Equestria Girls was really catchy and cute and I listen to it a lot.

The other EQG series songs, yeah....... not so much.

tl;dr the Dazzlings are great, not much else

All the music is great and your opinion is objectively wrong. :orly:

But really, it's all subjective. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to music.

Edited by Unikitty
  • Brohoof 2

Personally I like most of the songs. IMO the LOE songs were actually the weakest ones in the series thus far. Sure, the lyrics can be a bit simplistic sometimes but I honestly don't mind that much. A lot of 'real' music out there has asinine lyrics and at least these tend to fit the movie. I agree with you on 'Unleash The Magic', though, that song is awesome. It actually gets pretty chilling near the end. I also enjoyed the dubstep rendition of the main theme.

That said, I can understand why people might not like the songs since they do tend to be incredibly saccharine and if the bubbly pop sound isn't your thing you do tend to be out of luck. In the end, though, I think it just comes with the territory of watching a show for little kids.

• Brohoof 1

I actually prefer the songs in the Equestria Girls movies as opposed to the songs from FiM, though I will admit that some EQG songs don't really stick out in my mind as being either good or memorable. Most of them I can easily listen to for years on end--including memorizing their lyrics down to the letter--because they both appeal to me and have some pretty nice instrumentals to go along with them.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I completely agree with you. Most of the songs in Equestria Girls ( all 4 of them ) are actually really catchy, well-written and well-performed and meet the high standards set by the main show.

I mean, sure, the style of the Equestria Girls is a lot more pop-like and modernized when compared with the show itself, but that doesn't make them bad, not even close. They're just different to what we are used to. Dare I say, but I even prefer many of them to their main series counterparts.

Hell, the cafeteria song from the first film may just be about the catchiest song in the ENTIRE FRANCHISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I said it, come at me haters.

rarity_by_quizia-d8lix3y.png

• Brohoof 3

I think most of the high percentage come from EqG.

To answer your question, I think they want to make it straight-forwarded since they probably  don't  have the time to put a full effort in making music as a average musicians would.  

• Brohoof 1