Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do users' profile pictures affect your opinion of them?

\/

82 users have voted

1. 1. Do users' profile pictures affect your opinion of them?

• Yes
    • No

Do you think of forum members differently if they have a profile picture you do/don't like? Does it happen subconsciously or do you actively notice? I know that some users have their face as their profile picture, but most of us don't. Do you think you would treat another member differently if they suddenly changed their profile picture to one of their face?

Edited by \/
  • Brohoof 3

No, I would not. To me avatars are just fun little pictures that different people put up for different reasons... and unless someone puts up something truly offensive I don't use it as a reason to treat them any different than I treat everybody else.

• Brohoof 8

To some extent yes, though that's usually just a case of first appearances.
Usually fade out of that after speaking with the user over time.
(ignore my eyebrow  <_< )

Edited by The_Gobo

Not really. Profile pictures are meant to be seen as an expression of that particular user's interests or they just happened to want it there for reasons only they know. Unless the image was something inappropriate to others, bothered me in particular, or even confusing in what it's trying to convey, I'm pretty much okay with what people want to display.

Avatars are a part of how people present themselves online, along with things like usernames and signatures. None of that is too important to me compared to how people treat others and what kind of content they share, but I think it's natural to form impressions of people based on whatever you observe about em.

• Brohoof 2

Not in the sense of "I don't like your picture, therefore I don't like you" sort of deal, no. I wouldn't treat someone different solely because of their avatars. But I do tend to get some hints as to what that person is like based on their choice of a profile picture. A little bit of their personality, of their tastes, etc. etc. Furthermore, I also tend to fall in love with anyone with a cute avatar picture. mlp-tsquee.png

But of course, this interpretation is all broken once I actually speak to said person and realize they're totally different of what I assumed they were.

• Brohoof 5

Depends. If it's a generic picture from MLP, the most i would think is "oh, he probably likes *insert pony here*"

If he has like an original avatar which he drew himself or whatever, then i would think he likes being an artist.

But i shouldn't judge too much. :P

• Brohoof 1

Avatars are a part of how people present themselves online, along with things like usernames and signatures. None of that is too important to me compared to how people treat others and what kind of content they share, but I think it's natural to form impressions of people based on whatever you observe about em.

Egg-zachery.

What Mother Gaia here said.

To be honest, I think I judge people more on their username than their profile pic(unless it was something offensive).  I try not to judge people though, I try to treat people how I wish to be treated.

Edited by Thuja
  • Brohoof 1

Do you think of forum members differently if they have a profile picture you do/don't like? Does it happen subconsciously or do you actively notice? I know that some users have their face as their profile picture, but most of us don't. Do you think you would treat another member differently if they suddenly changed their profile picture to one of their face?

Good question there.

I try to not see and judge based on whether a profile pic approves with me but rather, I like to know more of that specific user by greeting them or to know them better and that's when everything including their particular picture makes sense.

Slightly, but not much.

It's mainly the reason I changed my profile pic from this:

post-30029-0-29100800-1482908291_thumb.png

To this:

post-30029-0-25487700-1482908302.png

I thought the first one would give off the impression that I'm trying to be edgy, so I changed it to a more friendly pic of her.

• Brohoof 1

Definitely yes. In any case person chooses their avatar and username, and it can tell pretty much about personality. It's like form an opinion about someone on base of appearance. Most believable you will think better about person who's clean, neat and dressed in style.  :grin:

bf95d87358613fdeda00f8ba4e000fa1.jpg

Edited by Alolan Crypty
  • Brohoof 1

If I don't know them very well, yeah.

Same principle would apply if I saw someone wearing rags - I'd assume them to be a bum.

People often prejudice based on first impression, it isn't anything surprising or new.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, profile pictures, usernames and signatures in this case can tell tonnes about a person online. If someone's profile picture is something I don't like/agree with or whatever else, I probably won't like that person.

• Brohoof 2

Typically the avatar won't be the first thing I use to judge people. It will be the post quality and content that will ultimately determine how I judge a person.

The avatar/signature just gives me an idea what they like.

• Brohoof 2