Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do users' profile pictures affect your opinion of them?

\/

82 users have voted

1. 1. Do users' profile pictures affect your opinion of them?

• Yes
    • No

Avatars and Sigs are like the outfits of the Internet. I believe you can tell a lot about someone by the avie they choose,not just who the their avie is but the poses and the facial expressions of the character/s in their avie as well. They give away a bit of the user's personality.

Edited by Maple Berry
  • Brohoof 1

When I can actually tell what show or whatever their avatar is from, I find it cool to see if they share similar interests with me or not because of it.

But outside of that, I don't really know how much it affects my opinion on people I haven't met.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I just completely misread someone by going from their profile picture and their info in general. But I still think, your profile picture should reflect something about you.

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 1

I used to hide users' join dates and post counts on another forum, Smashboards, because it made me bias a person's post based on them. Older and more active users made me think better of their posts, so I went to settings and hid them. Avatars don't have the same effect on me because they're not measurable

• Brohoof 3

I used to hide users' join dates and post counts on another forum, Smashboards, because it made me bias a person's post based on them. Older and more active users made me think better of their posts, so I went to settings and hid them. Avatars don't have the same effect on me because they're not measurable

That bring up another question. If someone's avatar doesn't affect your opinions of them or their posts, then how about the little badge under their avatar?

• Brohoof 1

That bring up another question. If someone's avatar doesn't affect your opinions of them or their posts, then how about the little badge under their avatar?

Me specifically? IDK, I'm not an active user and I don't enjoy using forums anymore. I don't know everything about every badge

• Brohoof 1

Me specifically? IDK, I'm not an active user and I don't enjoy using forums anymore. I don't know everything about every badge

Well, the badges are awarded based upon the amount of posts you've made (click on one of them to see how many each one is worth.) so it would give you an idea of how seasoned a forum user is. Then there are also admin/moderator/sectional staff badges.

• Brohoof 1

I don't even notice that badge, only the avatar. Wow... I didn't even notice my post count badge was gone come to think of it. I like this one but it was fun to see how many posts I had

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 1

Not in a bad way but voices and personalities are created in my head based on avatars that contain certain characters, it often confuses me because if someone has a Rarity profile picture for example I'll base their voice and personality off her even if they're not even similar.

• Brohoof 2

I'd really like to say no, but I think it does a little, at least on subconscious level. If someone has an actual drawn image of their OC or persona or somesuch for their avatar, then it's pretty easy to make the conclusion they're putting a bit more effort into how they present themselves than someone who's got a seemingly random screenshot for their avatar. It doesn't outweigh the actual content of their post, but it just might make people pay more attention.

Of course it does, it's natural in normal life too, the more unique the person the easier they attract your attention, you see a profile picture of a different kind you always seem to have your attention caught by it ^^ ORRRR Thats just me, maybe who knows.

To be honest, I'm kinda more interested to interact with people with an MLP related pic. as you however see is that just a first sight moment, because i do have friends too without pony pics XD

This dude.

This dude gets it :V

• Brohoof 2

Not really the profile picture by itself but combined with certain ways of typing can cause me to judge them.  IE somebody named Craftman2004 with a minecraft profile picture typing in all caps would either be a troll or a really young child.  Somebody with a historical figure as their profile picture who types out long replies using facts to support arguments would be somebody who knows what they are talking about.  That's kind of how I judge people.

• Brohoof 1