Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do users' profile pictures affect your opinion of them?

\/

82 users have voted

1. 1. Do users' profile pictures affect your opinion of them?

• Yes
    • No

• 1 year later...

They do. Your profile picture is a way for you to express yourself, just like any other element of your profile. It's also usually the first thing you see from a user, so it would be hard to completely ignore it.

(edited)

Yes, at least to the extent that it is part of the first impression I have of the user. But the influence of the avatar in my opinion of a user decreases as I become more familiar with them.

But, also, when I visualize the user, I tend to think of them as actually being their avatar even though this is obviously not the case. So, for instance, I see someone with a pony avatar, and think of them as a pony; if by chance I see a real photograph of said user, it is usually... startling..? for me to see that, surprise surprise, they are human. I suppose this is an example of the difference between knowing something, and having internalized it (that every single user is obviously a human).

Edited by Luna the Great of all the Russias
  • Brohoof 3

Not really. Other than their taste in art, maybe – many users here have very eye-catching avatars. And if they have an avatar of a pony I like (especially Coco, though I don't often see avatars of her), I know they have good taste. :coco:

• Brohoof 1

I mean unless it's something obscene or only done meant to get a rise out of people it's usually not an issue

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely! I judge every single one of you, every day. You are either a pony or not a pony. There is no in between!!!

Tbh- I look at personality as well since some ponies here are quite different than what they TRULY seem.