Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

After watching Friendship games again, I noticed something.

Azureth

During the beginning when Twilight first visits the school you see her putting her hand on the transporter-statue and it makes a ripple effect but her hand doesn't go through. It made me wonder if perhaps only those that travel from Equestria to the EQG universe can go back and forth and those that are native EQG people can't just travel to Equestria. Makes sense to me because even if accidentally I would think it would be important to cordon off it sense otherwise anyone could just walk right in and head to Equestria.

After watching Friendship Games over 300 times--in one form or another--this was something that caught my attention after the fiftieth viewing. I'm going to chalk it up as the animators not realizing this and decided to go with it. Also, the writers never brought it up again so I'm assuming they just went with it. From what I can tell, only one side of the statue houses the portal, so as long as no one leans against that one side, no one will accidentally fall through it and into Equestria.

• Brohoof 1

During the beginning when Twilight first visits the school you see her putting her hand on the transporter-statue and it makes a ripple effect but her hand doesn't go through. It made me wonder if perhaps only those that travel from Equestria to the EQG universe can go back and forth and those that are native EQG people can't just travel to Equestria. Makes sense to me because even if accidentally I would think it would be important to cordon off it sense otherwise anyone could just walk right in and head to Equestria.

OMG i would love to go to equestria! Let me go into the portal! let me let me let me! Maybe you could get around this restriction by going through with a pony. And then you could hide so celestia and luna could never find you and send you away!

This reminds me of a book I read, called 'the magicians' where some magic users went to narnia and azland was trying to get them out and they were hiding. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think people from Earth can use the portal BUT someone from Equestria needs to be nearby.

In the end of the first movie, right after Twilight enters the statue to return to equestria, Pinkie tries to do the same but slams into it without it showing any magical effects. This is because Twilight is not next to the statue anymore.

In the end of the second movie, while Twilight is standing next to the statue, Pinkie is able to stick her head in.

In the beginning of Friendship Games, while Sunset is sitting near the statue, Sci-Twi touches the portal and it responds.

In EQG1, the portal is open for a short period of 3 days (something in relation with the moon opens up the portal I believe). Twilight comes back in Equestria just in time at the end of the movie. This explains why Pinkie Pie can't get through the portal just after Twilight.

In EQG2, the portal is in its closed period. To bypass the rule, Twilight uses a magical device of her invention to get to the human world. At this moment, only ponies who uses the magical device in Equestria can go to the human world at anytime. The humans still must wait the next period when the portal is open. This explains why the portal is closed for PsyTwi at the beginning of EQG3.

• Brohoof 1

In EQG1, the portal is open for a short period of 3 days (something in relation with the moon opens up the portal I believe). Twilight comes back in Equestria just in time at the end of the movie. This explains why Pinkie Pie can't get through the portal just after Twilight.

In EQG2, the portal is in its closed period. To bypass the rule, Twilight uses a magical device of her invention to get to the human world. At this moment, only ponies who uses the magical device in Equestria can go to the human world at anytime. The humans still must wait the next period when the portal is open. This explains why the portal is closed for PsyTwi at the beginning of EQG3.

Exactly, the portal ripples, but Sci-Twi's hand didn't go through because even though the portal exists, it needs the device Pony Twilight attached to the mirror AND the journal to open.

Once Sci-Twi's pendant has accidentally stolen the portal along with some of Sunset's magic, the portal is no longer on the statue base. This is why when Sunset put her hands on the base after the fact, there were no ripples and Sunset freaks out with, "Where's the Portal?!"

• Brohoof 1

But if the only restriction for the original portal is that it's opened for 3 days every few years, then that seems rather risky for things/people to accidentally get into equestria. It seems likely for kids to lean on it or play around it.

When Sci-Twi touched the portal for the first time, you would think her hand would just push right through instead of resting on the surface. So perhaps there is some logic preventing just anything from the Earth-side to pass through. My idea is that the portal only allows access to equestria for someone that originated from equestria or is at least in close proximity to such person.

• 2 months later...

Personally, I think it could be that only those who understand the power of friendship (however you wanta gauge THAT) can use the portal. Since before Sunset got there, no one really did until her stranglehold on the school was lifted.

After the 2nd movie, everyone really knew about the portal, so, obviously they stayed away from it, as the only things that came through were an awful woman, and a equally powerful doppleganger of a their world. I know I'd...be weary ;)