Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Timber Really Better Than Flash?

darknessrising24

Special note before we start: I don't HATE Timber Spruce, nor am opposed to him and Sci-Twi being together, I'm just sick and tired of people over glorifying him and claiming he somehow "better" than him.

First off, let's consider the following:

FlashLight was basically bumping into each other and being awkwardly adorable.

TimberTwi was basically him saying something corny (usually with an air of smug) and then her giggling.

How is this better?

And more time was spent with these two together and yet nothing changed. It was exactly the same throughout. At least with FlashLight it slowly built a little (not by much I admit). I mean sure there was a bit of an attraction without knowing much about the other for them, but Flash wasn’t making moves until later when she had that big song trying to unite everyone and then him finding out Sunset framed her and he clears her name.

The problem is that here was less buildup, Flash at least flirted gently with Twilight, Timber was giving her the "I want you" look the second he saw her. And even THEN Flash and Twi didn't (almost) kiss until the second movie, with Timber they were ready to suck face right off the bat.

Now go into his "usefulness" factor:

Timber gets a buttload of screentime together with Twilight yet he never actually "connects" with anything going on with her.

Instead of being of some use to help her sort out her problems, he’s just there to give Twilight a break from her moping. And since in the end it’s her friends who make her feel better and let go of her issues, Timber is pretty much just the character equivalent of a safety blanket.

Now let's get to the issue that everyone seems to completely ignore:

During the entire movie, Timber KNEW that his sister was the one behind all the magical happenings at camp, and instead of actually doing something to stop her (it’s clear that talking to her wasn’t getting anywhere), he pretty much does nothing about it, except come up with the Gaia Everfree story to cover up for her. I have NO idea what the point of that is. It’s not like it was gonna make things any better. Intentionally or not, that’s pretty much him enabling Gloriosa to keep using magic. It’s also kinda tone deaf how the CHS students could be in serious danger yet he passes off that danger as a literal campfire story.

So yeah, he pretty much knew Gloriosa was doing something crazy dangerous, using power she obviously didn’t understand, and pretty much did nothing to help. Worst of all, for some reason, he thinks hooking up with a girl he barely knows is a better use of his time in what should be a very urgent situation.

Even putting age aside, somehow the movie doesn’t think it’s creepy that a counselor has the hots for one of his guests/clients.

• Brohoof 2

I do not think that Timber was better than Flash at all... In fact, I think Timber was kind of... Worse than Flash. 

But, what both the pairings seem to have in common is just that they're forced, and clearly made with little to no thought actually put in giving Twilight a boyfriend that 1. Would make sense for her to be in love with, 2. Isn't creepy (seriously, it's like Hasbro execs didn't even look over the script before going into the production stage) and 3. IS ACTUALLY A USEFUL CHARACTER THAT HAS A SERIOUS ROLE IN THE PLOT!!!!!!.

At least with Flash, the relationship too some believable time before. If you took Sci-Twi and Timber Spruce's relationship and placed it in the real world, I bet my entire bank account they'd break up within a week!

Man I despise how most movies portray love...

• Brohoof 1

They're both OK. But really, the rainbow rocks Flash really wasn't good..... Not the end one, I mean the angry spellbound one. But I like Timber better, he covers up for Gloriosa, despite she really deserving punishment..... NAH I like Gloriosa. But still, I think he has more characterisation. But I still like Flash as a character.

3. IS ACTUALLY A USEFUL CHARACTER THAT HAS A SERIOUS ROLE IN THE PLOT!!!

While I can't speak for Timber, the argument that Flash is invalid into the plot.... the same could be said for any other characters in the other movies:

Trixie's scenes could've been removed completely since the Dazzlings could've simply trapped the Rainbooms themselves.

The Shadowbolts barely had any interaction with their "counterparts" despite all the hype and could've been switched out with other humanized rival/enemeis from the show.

Filthy Rich's villany made no sense, he could've been replaced with Glademane, Svengallop,or even his wife Spoiled Rich and it would've made more sense.

I do feel like they at least tried with Timber. Like, he's still pretty lame but I do feel they tried to make him stand out, vs Flash where his only defining trait was "generic high school hunk"

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

The only thing I could think he's better than Flashy is that aside from is crush and flirt to human Twi, he has his own longing to see more than the camp, and looking out for Gloriosa :huh:. The romantic subplot was handled better than Flashy also, but that's not saying much 

The only thing I could think he's better than Flashy is that aside from is crush and flirt to human Twi, he has his own longing to see more than the camp, and looking out for Gloriosa :huh:. The romantic subplot was handled better than Flashy also, but that's not saying much 

As I said before at the beginning:

FlashLight was basically bumping into each other and being awkwardly adorable.

TimberTwi was basically him saying something corny (usually with an air of smug) and then her giggling.

How is this better?

And more time was spent with these two together and yet nothing changed. It was exactly the same throughout. At least with FlashLight it slowly built a little (not by much I admit). I mean sure there was a bit of an attraction without knowing much about the other for them, but Flash wasn’t making moves until later when she had that big song trying to unite everyone and then him finding out Sunset framed her and he clears her name.

The problem is that here was less buildup, Flash at least flirted gently with Twilight, Timber was giving her the "I want you" look the second he saw her. And even THEN Flash and Twi didn't (almost) kiss until the second movie, with Timber they were ready to suck face right off the bat.

Timber was given character development throughout Legend of Everfree--new characters tend to receive as such most of the time--as opposed to Flash who had gone through three movies without as such. He was seen as a stereotype who was just there. It wasn't until LoE where he, Flash, received actual development particularly during the scenes he has with Sunset talking about his relationship with Princess Twilight being an impossibility to accepting it.

Between the two, I'm going to have to say Flash is better since he doesn't rely on corny jokes to express his thoughts, has matured quite a bit since the first movie, and the romance subplot Timber was given felt really awkward.

• 3 weeks later...

Is Timber better than Flash.....YES!!!!!!!!

Twilight's relationship with flash in the first movie was cringy, and honestly one of the worst things about that movie in general.

Flash himself has virtually no personality to speak of and Timber Spruce has more of an impact on this ONE movie than Flash has had on ALL of them.

Is Timber better than Flash.....YES!!!!!!!!

Twilight's relationship with flash in the first movie was cringy, and honestly one of the worst things about that movie in general.

Flash himself has virtually no personality to speak of and Timber Spruce has more of an impact on this ONE movie than Flash has had on ALL of them.

That "no personality" argument is BS, the problem is that people like you just want to use that as an excuse to hate him more.

Also tell me, exactly what impact did he have on the plot aside from being an obvious red herring for Sunset and a simple safety blanket for Twilight? Nothing. He had absolutely no involvement in her issues with Midnight Sparkle and accomplished absolutely nothing against Gaea Everfree.

Say what you want about flash, at least he contributed something even if it was minuscule.

So ironically enough the "you could take him out of the story and nothing would change" argument that everyone likes to use on Flash can be applied to him as well.

So now, he's not better than him, if anything he's on the same level. If anything not to mention the fact that his scenes of Twilight pretty much came off as forced on several occasions. At least Flash waited until the second movie to try and score a kiss, here they were ready to suck face right off the bat.

Timber is better than Flash and that's it!

No it's not, either provide a LEGIT argument or don't comment at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think he is better, actually. The single reason I don't hate him as much is because he's hitting on SciTwi and not Pony Twilight. Since SunLight is my favorite ship I don't care if SciTwi ends up dating Timber or Flash. All I care about is that neither of them date Sunset or Pony Twilight.

nnnnnope. I think Timber is the jerk, I also believe he has an ulterior motive!!!! *flail* he seems like the guy who just courts a girl (or multiple girls) every year at the camp. Always a different summer fling. Plus he seems older, so warning bells there? Twilight you can do better! I've seen Friday the 13th!!!! I know what those Camp leaders are like! (we don't have summer camps here in the UK so the concept is alien to me)

Flash is a sweetie. There's no bad bone in him - we'll excuse his attitude in Rainbow Rocks because he was under the siren's effects. 

He tries so hard to be the nice guy, but it kinda leaves him in the friend zone. Would like to have seen what he went through with evil Sunset. Flash is also cuter/hotter than Timber. 

Also Guitarist boyfriend is the best thing ever! I dont see Timber playing the guitar. 

Both relationships are just crushes, and somehow I think Flashlight has more substance because Flash actually did things to earn some mutual feelings.

The only reason they made Timber and Human Sparkle a thing is because if it was Flash and Human Sparkle then we'd be going "b-but what about Princess Twilight?".

Hell no Timber spruce is not better. Flash is the right guy 4 sci twi and I hope timber breaks up with her and goes with human moon dancer instead because she's like twilight/sci twi due to having the same personality as sci twi. Sci twi deserves to be with flash more than timber. I hope THAT happens in the equestria girls specials

• 3 weeks later...

you guys gotta remember, MLP is about friendship, and trusting friends, not about whic boys the most cutest, honestly it's prolly why the original creator erself dislikes the movies..but honestly, they both suck in different ways, Flash because he had such little devlopment, he helped in a few scenes yes, and some shorts gave him a bit of a playful personality, yet the writer of eqg clearly doesn't know how to write love well, people complain when Fanfictions have..sometimes well written oc X canon, but then they go on about flash twi, timber/twi..honesly, just..they both suck, flash just kinda poofs up and is like "yeah i'll help you, okay.." and timber is more like "Hey girl you tripped so i'm gonna make a pun instead of checking if you're okay, whats that, your bone is sticking out your leg? to bad, PUNS"

you guys gotta remember, MLP is about friendship, and trusting friends, not about whic boys the most cutest, honestly it's prolly why the original creator erself dislikes the movies..but honestly, they both suck in different ways, Flash because he had such little devlopment, he helped in a few scenes yes, and some shorts gave him a bit of a playful personality, yet the writer of eqg clearly doesn't know how to write love well, people complain when Fanfictions have..sometimes well written oc X canon, but then they go on about flash twi, timber/twi..honesly, just..they both suck, flash just kinda poofs up and is like "yeah i'll help you, okay.." and timber is more like "Hey girl you tripped so i'm gonna make a pun instead of checking if you're okay, whats that, your bone is sticking out your leg? to bad, PUNS"

Here's the thing, Flash wasn't completely attracted to her until later in the movie, and he actually DID SOMETHING to earn Twilight's trust. Timber just clumsily flirted with her and suddenly they were giving each other "I want you" eyes.

if

Here's the thing, Flash wasn't completely attracted to her until later in the movie, and he actually DID SOMETHING to earn Twilight's trust. Timber just clumsily flirted with her and suddenly they were giving each other "I want you" eyes.

if equestria girls movies have taungt me anything, it tells me that if you forcefully ram yourself against Twilight, you will obtain your waifu.

if equestria girls movies have taungt me anything, it tells me that if you forcefully ram yourself against Twilight, you will obtain your waifu.

By that logic, Pinkie and RD should be her royal concubines right now.

• 2 weeks later...

While both were obnoxious in their own way, I'd say Timber has more potential, despite the fact he's got a grin that seems destined for a Chris Hanson clip.

Timber is by far more fleshed out then Flash ever has been. As much as I dislike both, the less of two evils is Timber, and we're already committed to Timber by now canonically. Flash seems to make a pass at Sunset and much to my delight, he ends up with a personal foul with a consolation prize from Derpy, so they are obviously thinking about that.

Both pairings are a mistake from a writing point of view. Friendship seems to be the main focus still, not love. The moment you pair somebody, you'll end up making someone upset, isolating a fanbase in one way or another. The key is to change just enough each time that the characters are seemingly the same, but in essence, evolve at the same time.

Flash COULD have been used properly if they'd planned for the fact we'd jump all over human versions of these characters like we did. But they didn't seem to think that far ahead. :P

While both were obnoxious in their own way, I'd say Timber has more potential, despite the fact he's got a grin that seems destined for a Chris Hanson clip.

Timber is by far more fleshed out then Flash ever has been. As much as I dislike both, the less of two evils is Timber, and we're already committed to Timber by now canonically. Flash seems to make a pass at Sunset and much to my delight, he ends up with a personal foul with a consolation prize from Derpy, so they are obviously thinking about that.

Both pairings are a mistake from a writing point of view. Friendship seems to be the main focus still, not love. The moment you pair somebody, you'll end up making someone upset, isolating a fanbase in one way or another. The key is to change just enough each time that the characters are seemingly the same, but in essence, evolve at the same time.

Flash COULD have been used properly if they'd planned for the fact we'd jump all over human versions of these characters like we did. But they didn't seem to think that far ahead. :P

I'm just gonna leave this here:

https://mlpforums.com/topic/160924-interesting-flash-facts-and-rants-on-flash-hate/

You were saying?