Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will other animated movies impact the box office for MLP 2017?

Tilgoreth

I am guessn that fast and the furious would be staying in box offices till aguste even if that aint happen there is still cars 3 that is going to be mid to late summer and i think hasbro will have to fight pixar over that if pixar falls behind by a day or two can push it on MLP so that is the worst case senario for hasbro

Cars 3 is June 16.

3 months before MLP. You will be lucky to find Cars 3 in a dollar/budget theater by then. Theaters do not keep movies nearly as long any more. They are under too much pressure with all the constant new releases. The days where movies controlled the box office for months and months are for the most part over. Now they do a few weeks in the box office, and then try to rush them to DVD and online sales because a LARGE chunk of their profits come from DVD and download/streaming sales and releasing them sooner keeps them fresh in consumers mind. Finding Dory had a bit more than a 3 month turn around time, and that was much more anticipated film than Cars 3.

Honestly, Hasbro picked a really good release date. I give them credit for that.

• Brohoof 1

You never know I have seen video games ruin a movie launch and frozen stayed in box offices for 3 months so it will be as hard as predicting the winner of the 2017 Daytona 500 right now or the super bowl or if dodge is successful in NASCAR its just to early to give credit I have NASCAR documernties that happen with in 3 months so never guess until we get there guys about if its a good date

• Brohoof 1

Uhh It might have to contend with need for speed II cars 3 and a transformers movie mabey and a fast and the furious 8 these all have late spring Thur the summer releases in 2017 so yuup MLP might have there hands full yet might come out on top depending on cars 3 mainly

1. English, please

2. None of those come out anywhere near when MLP does.

IDK this posts sounds kind of troll-ish.

Cars 3 is June 16.

3 months before MLP. You will be lucky to find Cars 3 in a dollar/budget theater by then. Theaters do not keep movies nearly as long any more. They are under too much pressure with all the constant new releases. The days where movies controlled the box office for months and months are for the most part over. Now they do a few weeks in the box office, and then try to rush them to DVD and online sales because a LARGE chunk of their profits come from DVD and download/streaming sales and releasing them sooner keeps them fresh in consumers mind. Finding Dory had a bit more than a 3 month turn around time, and that was much more anticipated film than Cars 3.

Honestly, Hasbro picked a really good release date. I give them credit for that.

Absolutely. It will rule October and is right around Christmas time.

If the film is successful enough it can try a summer release date for a sequel.

• Brohoof 1

Who knows now it will be as hard as predicting who will win the Daytona 500 right now

I see your point with that. Mlp FiM is the best.

Why would any of these films be a threat? Most of them come out months before MLP.... by the time MLP hits they will be on DVD or Netflix or whatever. Thor comes out a Month later... by then anyone who wanted to see MLP will have done so.. those who are waiting for some reason will still go see it Thor or otherwise. There are no animated films that "currently" are any threat to the film, save MAYBE Ninjago.. and honestly it really is not either. The only actual film that will draw audience from it will be Blade Runner for the most part... and even that film won't impact it's core audience. It will draw the casual adult crowd, but MLP would not have scored many of them for the most part anyway.

I agree with what you have said in your post. Mop FiM

I am guessn that fast and the furious would be staying in box offices till aguste even if that aint happen there is still cars 3 that is going to be mid to late summer and i think hasbro will have to fight pixar over that if pixar falls behind by a day or two can push it on MLP so that is the worst case senario for hasbro

It still might t impact the box office. It all depends though.

Cars 3 is June 16.

Yeah pro

Yeah probably the best release date for it.

You never know I have seen video games ruin a movie launch and frozen stayed in box offices for 3 months so it will be as hard as predicting the winner of the 2017 Daytona 500 right now or the super bowl or if dodge is successful in NASCAR its just to early to give credit I have NASCAR documernties that happen with in 3 months so never guess until we get there guys about if its a good date

All we can really do is wait and see.

This ain't a troll. This is what info that I was given the f&f might stay long. cars 3 might be a threat

It all depends on how long it is in theatres.

No you are kind of trolling by saying Cars 3 will be a threat because Cars 3 comes out in June. MLP comes out in October.

It would depend on how long it was I. Theaters.

I was told August for the MLP movie so sorry Mr it ain't my fault that these guys are giving me bad info

Yeah the movie comes out in October now.

As others have said, the closest animated film released prior to MLP is The Lego Ninjago Movie two weeks earlier, and right now I honestly can't see that being a major threat. It seems like September isn't the best month for animation as evidenced by the average box office performances by Storks and Kubo and the Two Strings (which unfortunately also proves that glowing reviews don't always equal box office success). There's also already one Lego movie out next year with The Lego Batman Movie, will audiences/moviegoers really want another so soon? I don't know, and I also don't know if Ninjago is really that well known with the general public, at least not in comparison with standard Lego and Batman. I still think MLP will do just fine. 

• Brohoof 1

As others have said, the closest animated film released prior to MLP is The Lego Ninjago Movie two weeks earlier, and right now I honestly can't see that being a major threat. It seems like September isn't the best month for animation as evidenced by the average box office performances by Storks and Kubo and the Two Strings (which unfortunately also proves that glowing reviews don't always equal box office success). There's also already one Lego movie out next year with The Lego Batman Movie, will audiences/moviegoers really want another so soon? I don't know, and I also don't know if Ninjago is really that well known with the general public, at least not in comparison with standard Lego and Batman. I still think MLP will do just fine.

Yeah I see what you mean. Unless Ninjago is a freak success.

I don't think there are many animated movies coming out in theatres by the time the MLP Movie is released. So, I'm going to say that non-animated movies will be its biggest competition, and that could make things difficult as those will have similar to or even larger budgets. Of course, many movies get delayed or pushed ahead of schedule so those are additional factors along with movies that we don't yet know about other than rumours/announcements.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think there are many animated movies coming out in theatres by the time the MLP Movie is released. So, I'm going to say that non-animated movies will be its biggest competition, and that could make things difficult as those will have similar to or even larger budgets. Of course, many movies get delayed or pushed ahead of schedule so those are additional factors along with movies that we don't yet know about other than rumours/announcements.

Well little girls aren't going go see hollywood block busters. Which is MLP' s cor demographic.

Assuming Cars 3 is THAT successful, and it's still in the box office by the time ponies are in the theaters, a good part of the potential audience would've watched Cars 3, so they'll seek ponies as their animated movie for the time. Videogames might be a potential problem, but many kids in the early target audience play mostly free to play, and there aren't new console releases by then, so I don't think they'll be that much of a threat 

• Brohoof 1

Assuming Cars 3 is THAT successful, and it's still in the box office by the time ponies are in the theaters, a good part of the potential audience would've watched Cars 3, so they'll seek ponies as their animated movie for the time. Videogames might be a potential problem, but many kids in the early target audience play mostly free to play, and there aren't new console releases by then, so I don't think they'll be that much of a threat

How would video games be a threat? Wouldn't they just go and see the movie then play the games at home? You don't have to play a video game the day you buy it.
  • Brohoof 1

How would video games be a threat? Wouldn't they just go and see the movie then play the games at home? You don't have to play a video game the day you buy it.

I think there might also be a new lawnmower or something coming out that might impact the movie as well