Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How accessible will the story be?

Tilgoreth

Too much time dedicated to summarizing events from the show would take away precious time needed for the movie's plot. It needs to stand on its own two feet while paying homage to where its origins come from.

I guess they have to balance it.
  • Brohoof 2

Will you have had to of watched the show? Will it be indecent in that you don't need to watch the show to understand it? I feel like it will be a movie that does financially well by critics will hate.

I believe that's why they changed alicorn plot to sea ponies ones. You should be somewhat invested on the show already if you wanna understand the alicorn lore, while sea ponies not so much. If I recall, that was one of the concerns expressed on the leaked mails
  • Brohoof 1

I believe that's why they changed alicorn plot to sea ponies ones. You should be somewhat invested on the show already if you wanna understand the alicorn lore, while sea ponies not so much. If I recall, that was one of the concerns expressed on the leaked mails

I still think there will be alicorn lore but not as the main focus. Also the seaponies are likely one scene and not the focus either.

On the other hand I'm looking forward to a Little Mermaid or Titanic reference!

• Brohoof 3

I still think there will be alicorn lore but not as the main focus. Also the seaponies are likely one scene and not the focus either.

Ponies ain't strangers of references. I'm sure we'll a reference or two :dash:

• Brohoof 2

Your probably gonna have to watch the show for a couple of seasons at bare minimum. Much like most movie adaptations, your they're most likely only gonna attract people who were into your show in the first place

The difference between those and MLP is that this film is far higher in production quality plus is more aimed at a general audience.

Proof? Most of those movies are pretty fucking "general", not to mention we know jackshit about the MLP movie

And how do you know MLP has high production values, let alone higher than 90% of that list, I mean most of those movie's animation are a massive step above their show counterparts

Far more. This will be more like The Simpsons Movie than the Powerpuff Girls Movie.

And you're absolutely delusional if you seriously think MLP is gonna be on the same league as the Fucking Simpsons Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

Your probably gonna have to watch the show for a couple of seasons at bare minimum. Much like most movie adaptations, your they're most likely only gonna attract people who were into your show in the first place

Proof? Most of those movies are pretty fucking "general", not to mention we know jackshit about the MLP movie

And how do you know MLP has high production values, let alone higher than 90% of that list, I mean most of those movie's animation are a massive step above their show counterparts

And you're absolutely delusional if you seriously think MLP is gonna be on the same league as the Fucking Simpsons

1. Not only is it stupid to alienate any other audience besides the fandom, but it's selfish. I'm so sick of people thinking that Hasbro makes MLP specifically for them. So basically your logic is "Welp, Hasbro should just not even try".

2. We do know that the movie has a complete upgrade in medium for the animation, the lead animator being from Disney and the lead VFX guy being from Don Bluth, a writer from Disney/Pixar, the producer being from Pixar, 7 new cast members (including a major singing sensation), and a live orchestra for the score. What animated film based off a movie has THAT much work put into it?

3. Sorry to burst your ego but without adjustment for inflation, the MLP Movie (with right marketing) can easily gross as much worldwide ($500 million). It's not like I compared it to Zootopia or Frozen.

• Brohoof 3

This movie is going to need some sort of level of accessibility in order to be able gather newcomers to watch the moive in order to be able to make a profit.

If not, than the movie could be hindered by Continuity Lock-Out.

• Brohoof 4

Too much time dedicated to summarizing events from the show would take away precious time needed for the movie's plot. It needs to stand on its own two feet while paying homage to where its origins come from.

I don't think they need so much time. Only the basic explanation of the Mane6 and a generalization of what they'v done shouldn't take 5 minutes

• Brohoof 4

[quotbut South Park doesn't always have a strong discontinuity name=Jangocoolguy" post="4778240" timestamp="1483059801]OH YEAH! Can't believe I forgot that one >_< (and South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut)Yeah but South Park doesn't always have a strong continuity.

With this many characters it needs to be AT LEAST 100 minutes to properly flesh out everyone/everything.

Well an hour and 30 minutes seems pretty common for animated movies.

They still haven't explained how alicorns work in mlp. It feels like something they made up as they went along. Especially with Flurry Heart.

I'd prefer they explain how alicorns work. But that would be confusing to people who haven't watched the show.

Ponies ain't strangers of references. I'm sure we'll a reference or two :dash:

I'm not sure why we'd get a Titanic reference. What does that have to do with mermaids? You know how funny would it be if Rarity was laying on a couch and said draw me like one of your Canterlot girls :D

And you're absolutely delusional if you seriously think MLP is gonna be on the same league as the Fucking Simpsons

They already are changing the animation software. From flash to toon boom something? (I forget what exactly)

1. Not only is it stupid to alienate any other audience besides the fandom, but it's selfish. I'm so sick of people thinking that Hasbro makes MLP specifically for them. So basically your logic is "Welp, Hasbro should just not even try".

2. We do know that the movie has a complete upgrade in medium for the animation, the lead animator being from Disney and the lead VFX guy being from Don Bluth, a writer from Disney/Pixar, the producer being from Pixar, 7 new cast members (including a major singing sensation), and a live orchestra for the score. What animated film based off a movie has THAT much work put into it?

3. Sorry to burst your ego but without adjustment for inflation, the MLP Movie (with right marketing) can easily gross as much worldwide ($500 million). It's not like I compared it to Zootopia or Frozen.

Especially when it might not have much competition from other animated movies.

This movie is going to need some sort of level of accessibility in order to be able gather newcomers to watch the moive in order to be able to make a profit.

If not, than the movie could be hindered by Continuity Lock-Out.

It won't be that hard. Just remove any references t would only be funny or make sense if you watched the show.

I don't think they need so much time. Only the basic explanation of the Mane6 and a generalization of what they'v done shouldn't take 5 minutes

They could start it out the same way the series started out. With someone my aBout the elements of harmony' s adventures in a story book. The same way Twilight started the series reading about Nightmare Moon.

1) Yet every alternative you recommend always seems to be "make the movie for everyone but the original audience", your soooo obsessed with the movie trying to print money by trying to attract an audience that, quite frankly, isn't gonna be caught dead watching it. The target audience/fanbase are gonna be the the ones watching the movie you, to write a good story for FiM.  Every movie based on a tv show's goal is to make a story for that goes all out for itself. The Friendship Is Magic movie should go all out for Friendship is Magic. Transformers(1986) was a huge Transformers movie for itself and that's actually remembered fondly. When they choose to make something for the sake of making more money rather than make a good story, we end up with Bayformers

2) Almost every movie adaptation of a cartoon features better animation and better production values vs its TV Show counterpart. Look at most of those movies listed earlier and watch them and compare them to their tv shows, almost all of them feature cleaner and better animation and a stronger soundtrack. Almost all of them feature big name actors and musici There's nothing that makes FiM any more special than all the others despite having a few people with notable resumes, which doesn't really guarantee anything

3) First off, my ego? Hypocrisy is strong with this one. 

Second I'm not the one constantly acting like the movie is gonna give me the the greatest blow job ever in the theater. I'm actually trying to keep my expectations reasonable, I want this movie to be good, but I don't constantly go around acting like it's gonna break huge records, print money and start a revolution in animation. Third, most movie adaptations of cartoons have been released when said cartoon was at its peak, with the exception of the SImpsons Movie, but the Simpsons is such a cultural phenomenon that there's really nothing that needs to said. I'm sorry, but the FiM's movie is coming out when the hype has died down quite a bit. If the movie does make good money, then great! But otherwise, I'm not holding my breath, and nor do I really care, I just want this movie to be good

• Brohoof 1

1) Yet every alternative you recommend always seems to be "make the movie for everyone but the original audience", your soooo obsessed with the movie trying to print money by trying to attract an audience that, quite frankly, isn't gonna be caught dead watching it. The target audience/fanbase are gonna be the the ones watching the movie you, to write a good story for FiM.  Every movie based on a tv show's goal is to make a story for that goes all out for itself. The Friendship Is Magic movie should go all out for Friendship is Magic. Transformers(1986) was a huge Transformers movie for itself and that's actually remembered fondly. When they choose to make something for the sake of making more money rather than make a good story, we end up with Bayformers

2) Almost every movie adaptation of a cartoon features better animation and better production values vs its TV Show counterpart. Look at most of those movies listed earlier and watch them and compare them to their tv shows, almost all of them feature cleaner and better animation and a stronger soundtrack. Almost all of them feature big name actors and musici There's nothing that makes FiM any more special than all the others despite having a few people with notable resumes, which doesn't really guarantee anything

3) First off, my ego? Hypocrisy is strong with this one. 

Second I'm not the one constantly acting like the movie is gonna give me the the greatest blow job ever in the theater. I'm actually trying to keep my expectations reasonable, I want this movie to be good, but I don't constantly go around acting like it's gonna break huge records, print money and start a revolution in animation. Third, most movie adaptations of cartoons have been released when said cartoon was at its peak, with the exception of the SImpsons Movie, but the Simpsons is such a cultural phenomenon that there's really nothing that needs to said. I'm sorry, but the FiM's movie is coming out when the hype has died down quite a bit. If the movie does make good money, then great! But otherwise, I'm not holding my breath, and nor do I really care, I just want this movie to be good

I agree with all that you have stated here in this post.

Exactly. They need as much time as possible for the movie's plot so something like basic character and world introductions need to be done early on without being dragged on too long.

• Brohoof 1

Exactly. They need as much time as possible for the movie's plot so something like basic character and world introductions need to be done early on without being dragged on too long.

I don't think it will take that long to I tried e the characters.

1) Yet every alternative you recommend always seems to be "make the movie for everyone but the original audience", your soooo obsessed with the movie trying to print money by trying to attract an audience that, quite frankly, isn't gonna be caught dead watching it. The target audience/fanbase are gonna be the the ones watching the movie you, to write a good story for FiM. Every movie based on a tv show's goal is to make a story for that goes all out for itself. The Friendship Is Magic movie should go all out for Friendship is Magic. Transformers(1986) was a huge Transformers movie for itself and that's actually remembered fondly. When they choose to make something for the sake of making more money rather than make a good story, we end up with Bayformers

3) First off, my ego? Hypocrisy is strong with this one.

1. Maybe right now but changing the image will gain newer audiences. And I don't mean making it incredibly dark or anything but giving it a story that adults will be intrigued by and beautiful animation. Speaking of...

2. You don't understand where I'm coming from. See, in movies like the Powerpuff Girls Movie or 80s Transformers, the production quality, while certainly amped up, still felt far too much like an episode of the show and not an actual movie. Whether you like it or not the structure and overall execution will be vastly changed while still keeping the heart of the show. And FYI getting people from Disney is a great move that not only provides advertising benefits but will provide veteran experience to get outside audiences interested. And there's a difference between one or two celebrity voice casts and seven.

3. My expectations are high because of the hype the makers themselves are putting behind this. I won't be mad if it's not a masterpiece but I want this film to be good not only on it's own merits but by the standard of general film. I don't want it to fall into the cringy, "modernized" trap that EQG does.

I'm just looking at the film from an objective view and what I think is the best move for Hasbro to make. And so far they're listening.

And that's why I think the movie's run time should exceed 1 hr 40 min. Overall time shouldn't be an issue if it's paced well.

• Brohoof 3

And that's why I think the movie's run time should exceed 1 hr 40 min. Overall time shouldn't be an issue if it's paced well.

Two hours at the bare minimum would be plenty of time for them to present a compelling story that doesn't cut things out due to time constraints, and gives the main characters enough screen time to do what they have to. Anything less than two hours would mean having to explain things without the audience getting to see what happened.

• Brohoof 2

Two hours at the bare minimum would be plenty of time for them to present a compelling story that doesn't cut things out due to time constraints, and gives the main characters enough screen time to do what they have to. Anything less than two hours would mean having to explain things without the audience getting to see what happened.

Eh, two hours would be slightly too long for an animated feature but 100-110 min is perfect.

• Brohoof 1

If the movie is two long then it might just drag on. And we don't want that.

Eh, two hours would be slightly too long for an animated feature but 100-110 min is perfect.

I suppose so long as nothing is forced to be cut.

The only animated movies that I could find that are two hours or more are anime movies. The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzimia is the longest one I could find at two hours and thirty six minutes. Most companies can't afford to make super long animated movies. Which is why most of them are one hundred to one hundred and twenty miles tied at the most.

Maybe the first scene will (should?) be a brief bit about Pinkie bringing everyone up to speed.

"Hiya! I know a lot you know about me and my friends, but for the ones who don't, it's kinda like this..."

• Brohoof 3

Maybe the first scene will (should?) be a brief bit about Pinkie bringing everyone up to speed.

"Hiya! I know a lot you know about me and my friends, but for the ones who don't, it's kinda like this..."

It'd probably be done in a story book style like how they started the first episode of the series. Like it might explain the mane six and call them the elements of harmony. Briefly going over each event. And they might introduce the characters by saying: "Rainbow Dash The Elemtn Of Loyalty".
  • Brohoof 2