Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Would you die of smoking or of obesity

Laurel

I don't smoke and I keep myself rather trim, even though I do eat a lot of fast food. The fact is, I enjoy keeping physically fit because it keeps both the body and the mind healthy, and I enjoy it. Smoking, well, I come from a long line of smokers (up to, but not including my immediate family) and it may have had some influence on my genes because I sometimes like the smell of certain cigarettes. But I would never smoke one myself, so I honestly don't think smoking or obesity would be my downfall. If I had to pick one, I'd say smoking, because I like being lean and mobile too much for obesity to be a likelihood. 

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 2

Recent events have made me even more adverse to taking up smoking, so that's out of the window.

As for obesity, if someone were to cut me open they would most likely discover Papa John's pizza as my most recent meal. With a metabolism like mine it won't catch up with me 'till later, though. Until then, I'm staying thin as a stick. ^^

Well the fact I've been slowing quitting smoking maybe not that? Though still a possibly chance. Obesity? I'm actually afraid of getting fat. I know my self esteem is already low but obesity would throw me off the edge. So I guess neither?

Smoking's something I've only done occasionally, I've not become addicted and don't plan to. I'm not going to die of obesity since I live pretty healthily: I watch my diet and exercise regularly so I think I'm fine with that. Smoking is something I have to watch and not succumb to.

• 9 months later...

+1 to the above post. I work very hard to keep my body in a good shape, being obese in the first place would absolutely destroy me. 

(Totally not following you through these dead threads).

On 12/30/2016 at 4:30 PM, trademark2 said:

Obesity is even worse than smoking! Dying because you were too fat... thats just... why!? Stop eating so much!

Fun fact: Food can be just as addictive as any other habit. Especially if you tie it to your emotions.

It works like this. Everyone knows that good feeling you have when you eat something delicious right? Well if you’re an emotionally compromised person, your brain will drive you towards things that will make you feel better, even if it’s just short term. So if you’re upset, and you go eat something you love to feel better (ie, comfort food) your brain will remember that for the future when you’re feeling bad again. But since eating isn’t actually going to solve what was causing the emotional distress, it’s likely to become a cycle. That’s the addiction.

Feel bad > Eat food > Chemical release in brain > Feel good > Repeat

Another fun fact from my medical anthropology class: The human brain hasn’t changed much at all in thousands of years. It’s still hard wired to make sure you survive. You know what’s really helpful to surviving? Carbs, fats, and sugars. These are great fuels for the human body. But these things used to be scarce, so the brain is wired to make you want to consume as much of it as possible. However while that instinct is remained the same, our surroundings have not. Now those previously rare nutrients are EVERYWHERE, and you don’t have to work for them at all.

Of course, one still needs to practice discipline and get into the habit of healthy eating. But it is as unfair to say “just stop” to someone who struggles with eating too much as it is unfair to say “just stop” to any other addict.

• 1 year later...