Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web YouTube comments and cursing

Laurel

Some people may call all those negative comments 'freedom of speech' but honestly, there are also things called 'maturity' and 'civilization.' Anyone can act irresponsibly or hurtfully when they think no one can get back at them, but that's just incredibly childish. I would hope most people would realize the world is what we make it, and if we make it into a cesspool, we're the ones who have to swim in it. It just lowers the quality of human society, and it will come back on the ones responsible. If nothing else, these people make a world where it's okay for the same to happen to them, and no one ever likes it when the tables are turned. 

• Brohoof 2

Some people may call all those negative comments 'freedom of speech' but honestly, there are also things called 'maturity' and 'civilization.' Anyone can act irresponsibly or hurtfully when they think no one can get back at them, but that's just incredibly childish. I would hope most people would realize the world is what we make it, and if we make it into a cesspool, we're the ones who have to swim in it. It just lowers the quality of human society, and it will come back on the ones responsible. If nothing else, these people make a world where it's okay for the same to happen to them, and no one ever likes it when the tables are turned. 

I agree with this, I must say, but I must also add onto it. These people, this "bullies" and "trolls" and random idiots on the internet are actually a small minority on the internet (unless you go to... certain places, where they congregate). They are, however, very vocal, very loud, and very hard to miss. It's like being in an office environment and seeing the one guy who wears a clown suit, or being in a library and having some random dude just start yelling randomly, to use a more proper example. 

These people are the loud idiots of the internet. Note that I do not compare "shitposting" in a joking manner to this. Actual trolling is an attempt to get a rise out of someone. Shitposting tends more toward joking and provoking a laugh, at least for those who get that it's a joke.

At least, that's my thoughts on the matter. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I stand corrected. YouTube is basically failing, no matter how much money they're making. They clearly do not have the backbone to target troublemaking trolls and banning them altogether (and yes, I said it before and I'll gladly say it again). I mean, banning their IP which helps prevent them from changing their IP addresses or even creating new channels or making a new gmail is not that hard, but of course, because of the obvious lack of moderation by YouTube themselves, even popular channels aren't safe from their malicious intentions. I have feeling that if YouTube doesn't perform a major overhaul and begin a mass ban wave against said troublemakers, starting with abandoning Google from their greed, they'll have a hefty number of stiff lawsuits in their hands.

Edited by Jon the Bronynerd

And the sad fact is that YouTube clearly doesn't have the backbone to unleash the banhammer on people who are being idiots that beg to be the center of attention and YouTube itself pretty much stopped caring for the many.

It's more that they've just given up on regulating their platform, because every time they actually do try to enforce the rules they get a serious community backlash. Regulating any part of the Internet, especially video platforms and some social media, is always a no win for these kind of companies. 

Also it really depends on which part of YouTube you go to, just looking up some videos there are some pretty decent YouTube commenters. The only issue is that there's a tendency for bias in most videos, especially if it's political, so most comments tend to be rather one-sided. 

Edited by Minccino

It's more that they've just given up on regulating their platform, because every time they actually do try to enforce the rules they get a serious community backlash. Regulating any part of the Internet, especially video platforms and some social media, is always a no win for these kind of companies. 

Also it really depends on which part of YouTube you go to, just looking up some videos there are some pretty decent YouTube commenters. The only issue is that there's a tendency for bias in most videos, especially if it's political, so most comments tend to be rather one-sided. 

That's true, unfortunately. Soon enough, Twitch will take over and fill in YouTube's spot because unlike YouTube, Twitch takes comments and users very seriously and will always take action, unlike YouTube itself of course.

What is your views when people write hurtful comments to hurt others. I think its normal to not like or disagree respectfully. But it turns into lots of cursing and anger and just naming others as this and that. In real life when you had TV you could disagree respectfully, but on the internet you are free to say whatever you want.

Quite frankly people are far too sensitive now a days. The social justice culture that has infected modern society with its infantilizing rhetoric have neutered people whom would have otherwise had developed thicker skin and a healthier outlook on social discourse. The toxic nature of internet exchanges could probably find some of its roots in the fact that you simply cannot express your opinions openly in a culture that prides itself on being offended on every little thing, making anonymity the only safe haven for honest thoughts and crass humor.

Being free to say whatever you want is a good thing. The fact that we cannot properly do so in a supposedly "free" society is an indictment on modern culture, not internet shitposters. Not only do people seek to actively police what individuals say, these social justice vultures will go out of their way to destroy a persons life who dares to put their name to an "offensive comment"

The real problem in society is not "hurtful comments"

A "Hurtful comment" is not going to do anything to you if you do not allow it too. 

Its the totalitarian assholes who will make sure you do not have a livelihood and that your reputation is permanently scorched for daring to speak outside of the ever decreasing boundaries of what is acceptable in PC culture that you need to be concerned about. If you want to talk about hurting people, look to the scum that is modern social justice for all the examples you need. 

Edited by Buck Testa

I dont understand, how some People can waste their time, with writing hate comments on multiple videos and users and then call others no-lives.

Some of those haters are more obsessed over the stuff they hate, than the actual fans they insult.

But okay.  :lol:

I already wasted to much of my time, by replying to them and now just ingore them.

I think writing this kind of comments is bad, but cant do anything about it.

• 4 years later...

It seems that if you post a comment that contains cursing, it doesn't go through yet for some reason, other people are able to post comments that contains cursing without any issues. It just screams hypocrisy for YouTube.

Anything that includes cursing or any form of abuse is worthless and only shows what the person posting the comment is worth as a human being. No one is forcing anyone to watch these videos, so they should keep their criticisms to themselves unless it's constructive and civil. No one should post any comment they wouldn't be willing to say to the face of the person they're addressing. Anything less is cowardess.