Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Reboot or press on?

Steel Accord

Hello everypony,

So here's the deal. I graduated in August with a bachelor's in Creative Writing and I'm looking to soon get employed in that capacity. I am a writer and will soon get paid to create and spin tales for others. How I even started that though came from my very first fanfic . . . one that I started and yet to finish or publish. See, that fic was quite literally my very first attempt at serious fiction writing and the positive feedback I got was part of what pushed me to pursuing it as a career. Thing is, I've gone through so much personal change and learned so much more on the actual craft of writing that I now have two competing visions for the story.

The original:

-Conversion Bureau fic

-Self-insert protagonist is a pegasus

-Story contains veiled metaphors to the greater brony culture, especially the early days as that's when I was writing it

-An extension, the main protagonist's brother is a secondary antagonist but the two eventually reconcile to beat the main threat

-The cast includes an airship of various sentient races

-The genre can be broadly categorized as a sci-fantasy adventure as the protagonist and crew venture across both worlds battling threats to humanity and Equestria, taking advantage of the former's mythos level of advanced technology and the former's abundance of magic

The new:

-Conversion Bureau fic (for right now)

-Self-insert protagonist is a zebra

-Story contains obvious and specific parallels to the fan-games Fighting is Magic and Them's Fightin' Herds

-The main cast is smaller with just the protagonist and his love interest

-The genre is more specifically martial arts, split between the sub-genres of wuxia, Hong Kong style urban action, and high stakes fighting tournament

So you can see, the two versions aren't entirely divorced but a few important details are different enough that they can't co-exist as the same story. The thing is I've already written a good chunk of the first half the former. Not so much that I wouldn't mind starting over . . . again. (I swear you could chart my competence as a writer by chopping the story in half and reading the rings of edits and do-overs like a tree stump.) The thing is, this story put me on the path that I am on today so many years ago, as did this fandom and show, so I kind of feel like I owe it enough to actually complete it. The question simply is, should I complete it in its original warts and all form or write a sleeker, leaner update?

• Brohoof 1

I would recommend, since you've already gone through, proceed with finishing the first story first before moving on to the next one. Since you've completed a good half of the former, it's better to finish through that fic before the next one. It wouldn't do well to give up on a story that people may enjoy halfway through or so, otherwise it can become a habit. All stories are trial and error, and publishing it completely, the feedback good or bad, can aspire you to continue writing more stories in the future and learn from any mistakes made from the previous one. 

• Brohoof 1

I would recommend, since you've already gone through, proceed with finishing the first story first before moving on to the next one. Since you've completed a good half of the former, it's better to finish through that fic before the next one. It wouldn't do well to give up on a story that people may enjoy halfway through or so, otherwise it can become a habit. All stories are trial and error, and publishing it completely, the feedback good or bad, can aspire you to continue writing more stories in the future and learn from any mistakes made from the previous one. 

I suppose so. As stated, the story is one I feel sort of obligated to write since I wouldn't be on the life path I am without it. You're probably right. I'll save the other one for a completely separate fic. Thanks man.

@@Stardust Balance,

Can I call on you for other feedback on the story in the future? 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 2

I would recommend you reboot it with your new skills, without question. One can't go several years writing and practicing without learning new things, gaining new skills, and generally becoming a better writer. I look back at my old stories and cringe at how poor they were—you may very well do the same. Looking at the plot summaries for your new and original stories, the new one is much tighter and is more defined.

I understand that you have an emotional connection to your old story, but by starting writing it, you set yourself on the path to your future. That's all you did for the story—wrote the start—and that's all it gave you—the start to your future. You should owe it nothing more. While things may differ in the workforce, while you're still writing for enjoyment, why would you devote a significant amount of time developing something you very well know you could do so much better? If it's only to fulfill a supposed moral obligation to a old story idea that already gave you what you needed, go no further. Better to leave it as is—unfinished—and just save and remember it for what it gave you. Also better to write a new version to prove to your story and yourself how much you've grown and developed your skills.

(This is so​ off-topic, but your properly spaced ellipses make me happy. ^_^ )

• Brohoof 2

I suppose so. As stated, the story is one I feel sort of obligated to write since I wouldn't be on the life path I am without it. You're probably right. I'll save the other one for a completely separate fic. Thanks man.

@@Stardust Balance,

Can I call on you for other feedback on the story in the future? 

Re-write the first parts you already did of your original fanfic without changing its spirit.

Take notes of the new things you now would want to implement (from the point were you left it) but the structure of the setting and/or original story would make it difficult.  Use those for the next fanfic later if applicable.