Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Getting grief for using a pony avatar on non-brony sites

backpon

I, like many bronies, use a pony avatar even on non-brony sites or games. In fact, the avatar for my google account is of Rainbow Dash wearing shades. Because Google accounts are linked to YouTube profiles(which I hate btw) my comments always show up as my nickname with a picture of RD. I watch a lot of political and gaming content on YouTube. As time has gone on I've gotten many people who respond to my comments bringing up my avatar and saying that I don't get an opinion because of  it, often adding that I'm filthy or gay or a pedophile. I'm not complaining about this, this is the internet and I find those responses hilarious, but I am curious. Are these stereotypes of bronies still rolling around? I suppose they are. Have any of you wonderful people experienced similar comments for using pony avatars? care to share?

EDIT: I'm really not looking for sympathy here! I got over the insults a while ago. I love it when people give me hate for it because its often given in hilarious ways. I just want people to share stories really!

on a side note, I use this picture of Fluttershy in games that let me select it. It's funny when I top the scoreboard and people get this:sig-4779561.squee_i_can_believe_in_by_of

Edited by QuantumPony
  • Brohoof 5

@@QuantumPony

Hey there :) 

Considering that this topic seems to be discussing about brony related material, I have moved this thread over to the Sugarcube Corner :) 

Have a nice discussion ^v^

And to add to the discussion.... yeah, I have gotten some grief before :P In some debates I have partaken online, I had a pony avatar, and I have been discredited because I don't know anything because I am "probably a 10 year old" :P But hey, you learn to live with it and don't react to their baiting. It's them committing ad hominem :) 

• Brohoof 5

My current avatar is posted as my face on every site I use, with the except of Skype which I don't use often, and Facebook, which I don't post the avatar because family would rather see my actual face.
Sorry to hear you get flack, but at least people are talking to you.
Could always see it as a challenge to try to cheer up or encourage the person in a way they don't expect.
It's all about how you use what's given to you, even the negativity. :)

• Brohoof 1

Most of the time I find myself laughing. It's such an outdated and obviously false attack. Half the time it doesnt even make sense considering the topic. I was trying to talk about a game glitch with someone and they countered with "you wouldn't know considering your avatar" ^_^

• Brohoof 4

Ad-hominem attacks are the last resort of people who have no way of refuting what you say.  Take them with a grain of salt, or better yet, ignore them.  Let them be porch dogs, they don't pose any threat to you.

• Brohoof 2

I only recall that happening to me once. I commented on a Nostalgia Critic video simply stating I didn't agree with him and someone told me that my opinion doesn't matter because my profile picture is Pinkie Pie. I plan to change it to someone from another show tomorrow, not because of getting flak for it (considering it's only happened to me once), but because I've been using this avatar for 2 years (apart from some temporary changes) and I'm honestly tired of it.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm, I get by just fine on another non-brony forum while having a Daring Do avatar. There are a couple of bronies active around there so that forum has moved past the "troll all bronies" stage.

• Brohoof 2

My advice is very simple and this might be difficult to do at times; Ignore them. While it doesn't happen anywhere near as much now, on YouTube I could barely go a day without someone calling me out for having a pony avatar. It used to bother me but then I thought, these people who go out of their way to insult me over my avatar when I never brought it up, they are just pathetic and not worth my time. They are not even worthy of retaliation.

So just let them be. Ignoring them is the ultimate defense because it will show them that what they say doesn't matter.

• Brohoof 2

I think these people are so funny. I use THIS avatar on youtube :3. its soooo much fun to hear the griefing and rage about it. Just try to enjoy it, and don't let it bother you!

In one conversation I had under a vid somebody kept aluding to me being a "fetishist" and called me "pony-boy" and "that rainbow horse". It was pretty fun because we kept meeting in other similar videos. XD

• Brohoof 1

I don't often use MLP profile pictures but when I do, it's very rare I have any brony hater argue with me, normally their arguments are so bland and they just repeat the same thing over and over, it's actually quite funny a lot of the time. I think I've got insults from about 5 brony haters due to my profile picture.

I could be wrong but I think the brony hating community is dying, I rarely see any brony haters nowadays and I think more people have just come to accept it though of course you're going to have some people who are never going to change their view on the fandom.

• Brohoof 1

Other than here, Equestria Daily, FimFiction, and sometimes on YouTube--in terms of comments--I don't comment anywhere else so I don't encounter this kind of problem. If I were to suddenly start getting some grief, I would ignore them since allowing myself to get worked up over it would result in some unfortunate circumstances.

• Brohoof 1

My steam picture's the same as this one, and yeah I've gotten way too much flak for it but I don't really care. Their comments make me have disdain for them, but otherwise affect me none. The real problem I have is with youtubers who deliberately watch pony-related videos just to insult the person who made it saying that their video (I can quote this from one, don't remember where, but I know I saw it) "is literal cancer." They aren't worth commenting on, but it makes me angry that someone is literally that desperate to bug another person just because of their interests, or better yet just because ponies are in the video for even 5 seconds and even when the video maker even makes the disclaimer that they themselves ARE NOT EVEN INTERESTED IN MLP. Internet trolls are the scum of the Earth.

Edited by TwillyFSniper
  • Brohoof 1

Yeah. These days I usually just don't bother using a pony avatar. Not worth it. It just depresses me because I don't like hearing about how I make the world a worse place just by being myself.

(And yes, there is still plenty of brony hate. Go play TF2 with a pony avatar and count how many games it'll take before you get flamed).

• Brohoof 1

I certainly did and responded in a dumb way 'cause I was sorta a kid. -3-' I equated it to racism in an unsuccessful mess and got sorta laughed at (possibly) but I think they got the point.

But anyhow, I've seen it before and wondered how "tolerant" our society really is. I also have to wonder if these people don't see the irony when they themselves undoubtedly like something that most others of their likes may find "cringey". (It's kind of inevitable, isn't it?)

c:

I personally don't use a profile picture like that, since I don't want to gain any unwanted attention. Earlier this year, before I had watched the show I realised how much hate bronies got, so I did a bit of an experiment. I changed my steam name to "Fluttershy2006" with a picture of Fluttershy as my profile picture and joined a game of Team Fortress 2. Within about 10 seconds of me joining, someone started a vote to kick me from the server and said their goal was to kick any bronies they saw in servers. The hate seems to still be around, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

• Brohoof 2

I use pony avatars wherever I want to and I don't care what anyone thinks about it. Whenever anyone wants to start something I shut it down by simply pointing out my reserved, peaceful existence and their whining which made it an issue. I don't think it should really matter. People have done the same thing with other things the Internet likes. Why not ponies?

• Brohoof 1

The people who hate on your avatar are probably immature 12 year olds who want attention by starting flame wars.  I used to have a RD avatar for fun and I never got much flack for it but I've seen a lot of cases were people go nuts over it.  Just ignore them unless you want to start an argument with a 12 year old which can be kind of fun sometimes.