Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Getting grief for using a pony avatar on non-brony sites

backpon

If you are using a pony avatar you should expect it to be noticed and viewed as strange, because it is. But if someone starts giving you hate about it, that makes them the cringeworthy one. If it is intended as an insult, they are only insulting themselves, and if it's meant to be an argument then clearly that individual is not worth debating with to begin with. Personally, since I generally use a different persona for non-pony activities, it has never been much of an issue, but it has happened once or twice to me on YouTube and frankly it wasn't worth my time.

• Brohoof 1

I use this avatar for most sites, and I have seen that play out before, but never to me. I sometimes worry that someone might use that as an argument if I saying something that differs from there opinion, but at this point I honestly don't care anymore. If they can't even bring up a reasonable point to defend their side, they are probably not worth debating with.

I think that's just the internet doing its job. I once got hate mail because my avatar was me looking terrified, like Godzilla was attacking me. You just keep doing your brony thing.

Having said that, I am still going to make fun of you all in my endeavors. But I do it with affection.

I use military or game avatars for the most part but when I do use a MLP avatar I don't really get any abuse. I think most people are pretty chill and mind their own business. It could also be a regional thing, I play mostly with European gamers due to living in Europe and it's usually very quiet in Europe. Switch over to North America and you'll usually find someone on the mic in every match online you play. But yes, for the most part I don't get any abuse for liking the show.

Sometimes this jerk on another site would give me some grief about it, but he's done it so many times now that every time he even says anything in negativity, he receives an infraction.

I'm honestly still surprised that people are giving you grief over this. FIM has been on the air for over 6 years, so surely people should be used to seeing pony avatars every now and then. I remember around 2011-2013, people were much more hostile then. 

In any event, just ignore them and continue to flaunt your pony icon proudly. They're leaving those nasty comments to try to get a reaction out of you. Take the high road and let bygones be bygones  :P

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I keep getting kicked from TF2 matches because there's a new cheat bot going around that uses mlp profile pics and names to lag servers, use aimbot snipers, or maxbot

it's hell

• 2 years later...

people will hate for anything. Specially things that are easy to make fun of because of the stereotypes attached to them. Tho I haven't been cast aside for an avatar before... maybe is in certain circles only? idk, but your avatar is your face on the internet so it's you first impression to others and what you say with it alone.

• Brohoof 1

Someone called my OC ugly but the comments were in an Undertale video, so I already knew some people would be a little immature. I think they were just being goofy more than they were criticizing my profile picture.

• Brohoof 1