Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Advice on How to Improve Drawing Skill/Motivation To Do So

Tilgoreth

A few weeks ago I posted a topic here asking for help to improve my drawing skill. I can only draw stick figures currently. But I want to get better. Not because I care to be an artist's or anything like that. But because it's something I want to do personally. So please give me any help you can. Books, online tutorials, anything that might actually help. The problem is I'm having a hard time getting motivated. Even though this is something I want to do. I guess a part of it is that I'm afraid people might see what I draw. And it's terrible. I don't maybe if I work hard and draw every day I can improve my skill level by two percent over five years. Maybe not that long. But I'm not naive enough to believe that it will happen in a couple weeks. So please give me any advice on getting motivated also. Especially for something I want to do.

• Brohoof 2

I wish I could give you some good advice, but I struggle with the same issue.

Maybe, this video could help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu3ulVhO3z4

If not, try Drawception. It's a fun little internet game that doesn't require insane drawing skills to play.

And best of all, it's free.

Edited by CluelessMagnus
  • Brohoof 2

Well my drawing style is very metric and boxy. You could seriously try experimenting with squares an rectangles and then when you master that you can then start doing simple 3D perspective objects in your drawings like 3D boxy buildings!!! :)

• Brohoof 1

Mmmmmmm it might be better to look at online tutorials, illustration is what most ponies are drawn in. Look at how color is used to create feeling, and the way artists use space on the canvas. Which parts of the canvas are filled up, and how does it affect the feeling of the picture. 

• Brohoof 1

I actually started by searching drawings that I like online and then copying them one by one, this helps so much, because I really notice all the details that you would normally overlook. And then I gradually started to alter the drawings, which meant still copying them, but not one by one. I think copying is a really fast way of learning, it actually only took me I think between 100 and 200 drawings to get the skill I have now. And don't be a perfectionist, I literally was never, not even once 100% sadisfied with a drawing, I always think afterwards "fuck, this part actually looks really bad", which is a good thing. A thing that kinda bugs me is than a lot of artists say "practice is everything", but I think this really isn't true. Practice is important, but you can also practice the wrong way and not improve at all, and that would happen if you would always be 100% sadisfied with your drawings, so always look for mistakes in your old drawings and try to not make them again.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

• Brohoof 2

I started MLP fan-art by watching an episode of MLP on the plane, pausing, and sketching the faces and body. I gradually got better at drawing and got better equipment. No tutorials needed.

• Brohoof 1

I wish I could give you some good advice, but I struggle with the same issue.

Maybe, this video could help.

If not, try Drawception. It's a fun little internet game that doesn't require insane drawing skills to play.

And best of all, it's free.

Thank you for giving me that video. I guess I just need to find motivation to actually draw. Which is hard because I can only do really bad stick figures.

Well my drawing style is very metric and boxy. You could seriously try experimenting with squares an rectangles and then when you master that you can then start doing simple 3D perspective objects in your drawings like 3D boxy buildings!!! :)

I think I know what your talking about. But I don't think I would be able to do that.

Mmmmmmm it might be better to look at online tutorials, illustration is what most ponies are drawn in. Look at how color is used to create feeling, and the way artists use space on the canvas. Which parts of the canvas are filled up, and how does it affect the feeling of the picture.

I was thinking of hand drawing. But thanks anyways.

I actually started by searching drawings that I like online and then copying them one by one, this helps so much, because I really notice all the details that you would normally overlook. And then I gradually started to alter the drawings, which meant still copying them, but not one by one. I think copying is a really fast way of learning, it actually only took me I think between 100 and 200 drawings to get the skill I have now. And don't be a perfectionist, I literally was never, not even once 100% sadisfied with a drawing, I always think afterwards "fuck, this part actually looks really bad", which is a good thing. A thing that kinda bugs me is than a lot of artists say "practice is everything", but I think this really isn't true. Practice is important, but you can also practice the wrong way and not improve at all, and that would happen if you would always be 100% sadisfied with your drawings, so always look for mistakes in your old drawings and try to not make them again.

I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Thank you this was very helpful. I've done this before. But it always looks like a big lobby mess. Also I feel like this might only apply to mlp characters. Which is fine because I want to draw that also. But I guess I was more thinking of human figures.

I started MLP fan-art by watching an episode of MLP on the plane, pausing, and sketching the faces and body. I gradually got better at drawing and got better equipment. No tutorials needed.

Alright Thank you I'll try doing that.
  • Brohoof 2

*confused* those principles are just as important, either with hand drawing or with tablet. If you want your drawing to look good, it can be done with tutorials. If you want your drawing to have a feeling, more in-depth understanding is needed. I feel like even some people that do super realistic style dont really understand. Of course, they are better than me... But thats not to say i dont know anything either

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 1

*confused* those principles are just as important, either with hand drawing or with tablet. If you want your drawing to look good, it can be done with tutorials. If you want your drawing to have a feeling, more in-depth understanding is needed. I feel like even some people that do super realistic style dont really understand. Of course, they are better than me... But thats not to say i dont know anything either

Yes but I can only draw stick figures.Your advice feels like applies to more experienced people.
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

All of this thread has some great ideas on how to improve your art in general, but I think they're all missing the most important key thing in drawing and improving as an artist. And it is as simple as:

Pick up the pencil and draw something.

Above all else. Above learning fundamentals, concepts, design elements. It all boils down to picking up whatever it is you draw with, and just drawing. Draw something, anything. Doesn't matter if it's bad. Doesn't matter if it's something you only intend on keeping as a doodle on a drawpad. You will not improve if you don't draw, it's simple as that. And it's okay to not be good at drawing. It's okay to look at each drawing and see all its flaws. As long as at the end of the day, you have something to look at and something to learn from.

As long as you keep pouring your heart and passion into it, you'll eventually improve. Everything else will come in due time.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

One thing I can't recommend enough is to learn to laugh off your mistakes.  Instead of festering on the fact that you did that arm poorly, think to yourself, "hah, look at how I did that arm, so terrible but I will get better!"  Use references but don't trace, try to break things down to their basic shapes.  You know, those circle drawings that people make before actually drawing out the intended picture.  There's nothing wrong with messing up, everyone started out by making mistakes and that's ok.  Don't beat yourself up over it.  Also, please don't get rid of your earlier drawings, it'll help you keep in mind of how much you've improved over the time you're drawing.  I suggest watching some tutorials on youtube so you can get an idea of what you want to draw.  Just draw, don't ever give up on yourself.

• Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I think good way to improve is first to try something that you are comfortable with and after that rise the bar little by little. Depending on what you want to draw i believe it is good practice to look at references and that way learn the basic shapes and proportions trying to match the references you are looking.