Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Anyone else dislike the terms 'America(n)'?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

To get it out of the way early, I live in Indiana. So that means I live in the oh so gloriously not glorious 'U.S.A' where we will soon be under a new reign of tyranny. Yay.

I have always been someone that views everything here from a state by state basis. I view everything by each state specifically. Most of the world doesn't do this, they simply see them all as 'America' and they view all of us that live in any state as 'American'.

The thing is, I hate that. I really do. I hate being lumped into one giant thing like that. One category. Simply 'American' and living in 'america' are terms I don't like in the slightest. Maybe I am super weird and literally nobody else sees it this way, that's fine, maybe it is just the way things are. For me though, since I live in Indiana, that is all I mention and that is all I look at it from. I only take pride in my state and none of the others. I only care about what political stuff happens in my state, none of the others. I know, the states are all supposed to be 'United' but I personally think some federal government that oversees it all doesn't mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. I also don't like the term U.S.A either but that is a different topic.

Maybe it makes it easier for people to simply say 'America' and 'American', as an alternative would be harder to remember, that could be a thing too, but it doesn't change my view. I don't expect people to simply call me a Hoosier or something just to make me happy, but I still stand on my point.

The states are all different, each one has its own laws, its own government, its own people, its own counties, some states have townships within their counties and others don't. Each state has its own culture basically, but everywhere I go I see 'American' or America. Even the counties within the states can have their own laws and cultures too. If I viewed it all as one big thing and that's it, I would hate most of it. All of this could be a result of me being autistic and thus having weird obsessions like this one with territories and such.

So, that is my viewpoint. Does anyone else feel this way? Again, I know, I am weird, but maybe someone else agrees. 1 out of 100 would be a surprise to me. I don't think this should go into the Debate Pit either as I don't want a debate, but rather a discussion.

• Brohoof 7

Because when you have to a refer to a group broadly it's generally easier to refer to them by the larger demonym than to inquire or throw the dice per specific persons in any one of the fifty states in the Union and its handful of territories. Further, people within the nation also migrate and move about more at ease than someone would migrating between here and Canada or Mexico, legally. So cultural uniqueness between them becomes very diffused and relatively lost to the point that cultural heritage extends towards college football loyalties.

The level of migration does more for a regional identity and less so a state identity. It'd be more accurate to call someone a Yankee, Midwesterner, Pacific (South or North Westerner), Southern/Dixie, Texas, and Alaskan where the dialect and habits that'd make an actual identity become much more pronounced.

But really, the "cultural differences" shared between the states and even the cultural regions of the country isn't as severe as cultural differences are inside some other countries. I'm looking at you, China.

1280px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China_(19

And some of these groups even don't even speak languages that are a part of the same language family as mainstream-Han. Or worship the same way. Yet bar a few exceptions, they all admit to being Chinese.

• Brohoof 5

*insert Bandit Keith quote here*

No, I mainly have a problem with how it's been used lately.

I don't like how it's basically become a "you are or you're not", particularly if you disagree with some ideas or politics

Things like,

"YOU DON'T LIKE TRUMP?! YOU'RE NOT AMERICAN! GET OFF MY COUNTRY!" and the like really get me

First off, screw you if you do use this mentality. Second, as history has proven a whole country, regardless if he's the President or not, isn't representative of the whole population. And third if we go by the literal definition, anyone who lives in America is American. I mean I like some of the stuff that's stereotypically associated with America like BBQs and burgers and what not, but I think what I'm trying to say is that I don't like using "American" as an ideology but as a literal term I have no problem

...well shit I just turned my post into a political one, must post real Bandit Keith when I get home!

• Brohoof 1

Interesting concern, I suppose it's like grouping Asians all under one term. There's lots of different types of Asians, just like how there's different part of America. But one a continent of people and the other is a country. Not sure how I feel about that but I do understand

• Brohoof 2

I'm from Britain and I understand that each State is brilliantly different, there is nothing wrong with that. Wither it be from the concrete jungle filled with skyscrapers New York or the amazing sunny weather and long beach strips with palm trees California. I think it's a good thing you're all classed as "United" we need a perfectly united world compared to a separated and hateful towards competition one. Splitting the states will only put humanity as a hole back a step I believe, as each state would be run independently of each other and no longer just working together. America is the number one country for a reason, through being United.

• Brohoof 3

concrete jungle filled with skyscrapers New York 

istock000076895685large*750xx2669-1500-0

Gee, whadda lotta concrete jungle. Maybe if we look somewhere else in New York?

keuka-lake2300-nys.jpg

Unless skyscrapers are green, still not seeing them.

2798345CF6A910CCCB50B918B1310CE9.JPG

nope

Conclusion: New York isn't New York City. That'd be like saying South-East England is all London, fam.

Edited by AaronMk
  • Brohoof 8

@@AaronMk

Wow, I never knew New York had forests and stuff xD I guess I fell for the way the TV showed New York to be, which was usually always as a huge city. I do find the American States to be a interesting place to visit, although I am told time and time again it's just like Britain minus the barrand and desert locations. Sorry if I offended any New Yorkers with my outsider ignorance.    

• Brohoof 3

Hey! I'm technically American, since I live in South America! Right?  :D

Eh... I've always found that term kinda weird, too. But at the end of the day, it's just a name generally used to refer to those born in the country of the United States as a whole, while then being divided into the subcategories that are their specific states within the country... That's just my opinion, at least.

It works better than referring to them as "United Statians" or something like that, I think.

• Brohoof 5

I'm so glad for the election results. I hope we can reduce the size of government. America is the best country in the world, because of its unique constitution. The idea was to let people be sovereign with inalienable rights. The liberals do not believe in this idea. People like to bash America because they don't understand, or hate, the idea of basic human freedom.

• Brohoof 5

I live in Britain, I live in Scotland.  I am British, I am also Scottish.  This situation is comparable to yours, Scotland has its own government, and is also subject to the government of the Union based in England.  Scotland has a long history, and a culture all of its own, as do England, Wales and Northern Ireland.  I have absolutely no problem with being both British and Scottish, one does not exclude the other.

Maybe you should just accept that people separated from the US by thousands of miles of ocean will pay little or no attention to the variations between states.  The states may have their own governments and cultures, I know that Texas is a hugely different social environment to California, but what affects us over here is mostly things like US foreign policy, which is controlled at the federal level, and the national brand that is projected to the world is that of 'America', and thus we will generally refer to all Americans as just that.

• Brohoof 2

Well I have the same views as you in regarding my own country, Australia.

All the states/territories are different with government, education, climate and even accents!

Like you, I only care for my state and city and how it's run. Our Prime Ministers have all been shit. They can stay away from my state like they always do anyway

• Brohoof 1

well, I guess it's kind of like how 'americans' use the term 'europeans' for anyone who comes from europe, even though that's a lot of different countries and you can't really groop all people in one square by calling them 'european'. personally I don't like it when other people say 'oh, you're from europe' because it's just a collection of countries, and not one big one. so I guess it's kind of the same with people from the USA. 

but at the same time it's not the same because they are still, kind of, one country... but I don't know... 

maybe I'm seeing this all wrong though, kind of a difficult topic :/

I wish people would stop taking potshots at trump. Do you see trump supporters making snide remarks like that? (your first line)

I am proud to be an American, and I hope our states can band together and become strong. That is nationalism. That is my view. 

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 3

Not terribly proud of America at this moment, but I kind of regard America like I regard an annoying friend of mine; I'm frustrated, but I can't help but love it.  So if anyone asks, I'll say that I'm American.  Besides, "Virginian" just doesn't sound right to me, even though it's more accurate and specific.

Edited by Light of Night

Defining America/n is like defining the word "game". It's a concept. There are paradigms that everyone/almost everyone agrees on and there are... things on the edge that only some agree on. (e.g. steam games and fighting). You can identify as American and you can also identify as un-american. Each person has a different concept of "American" and may accuse others of not being Americans.

Now for the part about regions of the U.S.A. People don't generally use specific terms such as "New Yorker" or "Californian" as much as they use "American". It's like saying the "nationality" of someone who is from Europe. People normally say "European" contrary to more specific things such as "Swedish" or "Swiss.

Also, @@AaronMk

But really, the "cultural differences" shared between the states and even the cultural regions of the country isn't as severe as cultural differences are inside some other countries. I'm looking at you, China.
WHY DID YOU OFFEND ME? (I'm from China and my family is a mix of diverse races) China has 50 or so native races and cultures we all accept them (except for some racist people). They are all "Chinese" and play big parts in Chinese culture and culture preservation. Some races are treated as Native Americans are treated in America. They have reserves and everything. Some races are mixed inside the mainstream race(s) of the Han (The Manchu, and maybe the Uyghur. Yes, Uyghur).

I wish people would stop taking potshots at trump. Do you see trump supporters making snide remarks like that? (your first line)

I am proud to be an American, and I hope our states can band together and become strong. That is nationalism. That is my view. 

Actually, I do. The bigger issue is that both sides are attacking the other and then confirmation bias makes them say "oh, our side doesn't do stuff like that". It doesn't matter if you're a Trump supporter or a Hillary supporter or you don't support either of them, I already see a fair amount from all sides just adding fuel to the flame. 

And some of these groups even don't even speak languages that are a part of the same language family as mainstream-Han. Or worship the same way. Yet bar a few exceptions, they all admit to being Chinese.

Asian countries tend to more collectivist than most Western countries, though, so they'll quarrel less about identifying as this general group. As far as people living in China or Japan or Indonesia knows, using some larger demonym isn't going to destroy what cultural differences they have. 

People here are just complaining because of the election. The person I didn't like win, American politics suck now!

Actually, I do. The bigger issue is that both sides are attacking the other and then confirmation bias makes them say "oh, our side doesn't do stuff like that". It doesn't matter if you're a Trump supporter or a Hillary supporter or you don't support either of them, I already see a fair amount from all sides just adding fuel to the flame.

Asian countries tend to more collectivist than most Western countries, though, so they'll quarrel less about identifying as this general group. As far as people living in China or Japan or Indonesia knows, using some larger demonym isn't going to destroy what cultural differences they have.

People here are just complaining because of the election. The person I didn't like win, American politics suck now!

I greatly respect Japan. They have some of the best culture and people in the world. They dont have a group trying to drive wedges between racial groups like over here (by this i mean the propagandists against certain parties). And the Japanese people as a whole have a strong nationalistic view. They think japan is the best country, and try to support it like good citizens.

And they are honestly right. Some onsen allow japanese only, and i can see why. You dont go into a public restroom in Japan and have unflushed toilets. You leave something behind on a train? It gets returned. I had a shopkeeper run 2 blocks after me to return my bag i left. Japanese are just better, and less predjudiced. You see all the people over here that just cant take some of the themes in anime even

Its like a paradise over there. Much of the beautiful mountain wilderness is untouched. They dont devour it like greedy companies over here do

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 1

People from other countries aren't going to bother to know the difference between an indianian and a wyomingese unless you bother to learn the identities of India. Everyone knows American = from USA because it's been spread like this for so long. American can also mean people from the continent, and the context of that is usually pretty clear.. What else would you say anyway? United Statesian? That sounds dumb. Mexico's official name is the United Mexican States, and no one calls them the United Mexican Statesians, they just say Mexican. Even though they have states just like the US. 

Feeling pride in your state is great, but to anyone outside, it doesn't really mean much in the way of what to call you. You're still an American. Just one who likes where they live in comparison to a place they don't.

• Brohoof 1

Being European I tend to describe America as 'Murica' more often than not, so I guess I'm part of the problem here. That said, I mainly do that because so many things in the US as a whole seem incredibly foreign to me, and since I can't even name all 51 states much less compare between them other than collectively referring to southern states as rednecks, I tend to view 'America' as a weird nation. Part of the issue is that the US are a single country, and people tend to forget just how immense the US actually is (or, I do, anyway) and thus it becomes easy to group its inhabitants together. The same goes for China, really. It's immense, but I do still group all of its people together as weird communists who are talented at forgeries and who see human rights as just a suggestion, and not a very good one at that. It's neither true nor accurate (for the most part), but it's still how I would describe them. Conversely, I could imagine someone from the US confusing German and Dutch, or other things that seem obvious to us here but maybe very weird to someone from the US.

Grouping people together in large, general groups is a tendency we seem to have as a species because it makes things much easier. We really only start making nuanced observations when it becomes necessary to do so. I get the annoyance, really, but I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

• Brohoof 1

I'm trying to figure out whether or not this is a joke to reinforce your point. :derp:

It isn't. Topography has always been my weakest point and I have no reason whatsoever to know every state.

These are the ones I can name off the top of my head:

1. New York

2. New Jersey

3. California

4. Washington

5. Florida

6. Texas

7. Alabama

8. Missouri

9. Illinois

10. Michigan

11. Nevada

12. Hawaii

13. Alaska

14. North Dakota

15. South Dakota

16. Utah

17. Wyoming

18. West Virginia

19. Colorado

20. Missouri?

21. Kansas?

22. Arkansas?

23. Massachusetts?

24. Connecticut?

25. Ohio?

As you can see, I can't even name half of them, nor do I know where most of these would be in relation to each other.

What else would you say anyway? United Statesian?

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/united_statesian

Yes.

Actually not disagreeing with you at all. I just thought it was humorous. And it does sound dumb.

American is just a broad term that has come to refer to citizens of the United States no matter there actual state of origin, even though some can (and will) argue it can (should) include Canadians and Mexicans as well since we are all apart of the (North) American continent... personally I like Usonian as a term since it sounds medieval. Either way I live in a state that does not see itself as American in any way, since we consider ourselves above everyone else in the union apparently.

Edit: Merriam-Webster sucks with their shitty paywall to look at words.

• Brohoof 1