Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Anyone else dislike the terms 'America(n)'?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Sure America's completely and utterly screwed, but the word American isn't screwed because of the hypocrisy of the American thought process.

I will never back Trump, unless he was sarcastic about almost everything he said during his entire campaign. I say this because I see these effects happening within the next 8 years if Trump is allowed 2 terms (or longer if he can find a way to bypass term limits and, which I hope NOT. The only reason I mention this is because every branch is dominated by Republicans. That already sounds like a disaster to me quite honestly...). Here are those effects:

A. The middle class will hardly exist (look at his tax plan... All that needs to be said.)

B. Gay marriage will definitely be made illegal. (Mike Pence is his Vice President...)

C. The air around us will probably rise in temperature twice as fast as predicted (Remember who he chose as his Secretary of Energy? RICK PERRY?)

D. Social Security could go away, for NUCLEAR BOMBS. (Trump is an extremely emotionally unstable conservative (debatable neo-fascist), so... yeah.)

E. We may start World War 3. Over something extremely stupid I'd be sure (Look at Trump's Twitter. You'll likely agree with me here, unless you're too stubborn.)

F. You might as well say goodbye to health care. Unless you're at the top (Remember who Trump is when I say that.)

G. Slight off-chance of NUCLEAR ANNIHILATION (Remember point E)

So yeah. America's democratic system just trashed itself, through sheer political ignorance (In my opinion of course.) Of course, however, I believe that America will rise through this at some point and realize Trump shouldn't be president (He should quite honestly be in jail with what I know about him and his business affairs), and elect an actually capable presidential choice (Since some people are so butthurt about liberalism, I guess I wouldn't mind which party even, as long as it is at least as leftist as Kasich. Yeah I threw a right-moderate candidate out there. Be happy with that, it's al I'll give here since the party's going to mess up the country anyways in the next few years since it has free reigns for the most part.)

I really don't want this to turn into another debate pit thread like last time. -_-

Edited by TwillyFSniper

I really don't want this to turn into another debate pit thread like last time. -_-

Probably with the how closely the topic related to political sentiments it probably is going to become one. I mean, even without mentioning the 2016 election which seems to be the source of most political talk on here, the OP is suggesting a stance that is heavily states' rights.

Also don't go too deep into political opinion, the reason the last thread was a Debate Pit was probably my fault but I felt like I need to do a bit of fact checking.

Edited by Minccino

Portuguese guy over here, let's see if I can get all 50 states.

1- Maine

2- Vermont

3- New Hampshire

4- New York

5- New Jersey

6- Massachusets

7- Rhode Island

8- Connecticut

9- Maryland

10- Delaware

11- Pennsylvania

12- Ohio

13- Michigan

14- Wisconsin

15- Minesotta

16- Indiana

17- Virginia

18- West Virginia

19- North Carolina

20- South Carolina

21- Georgia

22- Florida

23- Alabama

24- Mississipi

25- Tennesse

26- Kentucky

27- Illinois

28- Louisiana

29- Arkansas

30- Missouri

31- Iowa

32- North Dakota

33- South Dakota

34- Kansas

35- Oklahoma

36- Texas

37- Colorado

38- New Mexico

39- Nevada

40- Utah

41- Arizona

42- Nebraska

43- Wyoming

44- Montana

45- Idaho

46- Oregon

47- Washington

48- Californa

49- Alaska

50- Hawaii

Holy crap, I got all of them.

Not everyone in California of course, you know I don't mean everyone. You know who I am talking about if you are in those circles though, surely. Cultural imperialism is not a terrible thing, it just means they are trying to enforce a cultural system on others.

I do think there is substantial cultural drift between California and the rest of the country, this is why a lot of people there wanted to secede from the union. And they have a point. Maybe you are right that I shouldn't say California though... But that is the cultural system there, it is close to what I am talking about. Do you think there is a sense of elitism?

Liberals always think they're better(read elite) than conservatives, conservatives likewise return the favor. It's why those people subscribe to one party's ideology over the other. 

A few thousand angsty Bernouts does not constitute a large number of people, CA is not seceding anytime soon. I'd also say that there isn't that much of a cultural difference. The Bay Area and the Westside are certainly liberal but they're not unique in that and there are many places who share the same values as them(Seattle/NYC etc). Yeah it's different than rural Kansas, but big cities in general have a different outlook than suburban and rural communities. 

As a side note it's a real shame a state as beautiful as CA is has so many people. It's way too crowded there. 

Liberals always think they're better(read elite) than conservatives, conservatives likewise return the favor. It's why those people subscribe to one party's ideology over the other. 

A few thousand angsty Bernouts does not constitute a large number of people, CA is not seceding anytime soon. I'd also say that there isn't that much of a cultural difference. The Bay Area and the Westside are certainly liberal but they're not unique in that and there are many places who share the same values as them(Seattle/NYC etc). Yeah it's different than rural Kansas, but big cities in general have a different outlook than suburban and rural communities. 

As a side note it's a real shame a state as beautiful as CA is has so many people. It's way too crowded there. 

I'm wondering: Is there some sort of a feeling of rivalry between California and Texas? I mean, they're the two biggest states and the ones with the biggest GDP, all the while being clearly states who consistantly vote the other direction.

I wish people would stop taking potshots at trump. Do you see trump supporters making snide remarks like that? (your first line)

This was my first ever election where I was aware of the worldwide reaction.

Were conservatives acting like that when Obama won his terms??

This was my first ever election where I was aware of the worldwide reaction.

Were conservatives acting like that when Obama won his terms??

I remember a few. Some conservatives in Texas actually started a petition to seceed from the Union. Of course, it didn't go through.

Though it was nothing compared to the level of outrage from the results of this election.

• Brohoof 2

I have only seen one group on the attack. Everyone wants to be neutral and say "oh you are both doing it", but realistically, that's not true. Someone made a neutralish comment earlier stating he saw right-wing people making snide remarks. Really? because I haven't. I have been on several different forums, and I haven't seen that, can someone please message me and show me some comments like this? There should be a lot of them based on some of the rhetoric here that the group I defend stands for so much hate (I don't think so...).

no... One group is demonizing the other, and the other group is fighting back. That is why I defend the group being attacked. You can say both groups are doing it... but... fighting back when people are demonizing you isn't the same as attacking (and the reason they are being demonized is the backlash generated by a media propaganda storm the likes of which I have NEVER seen). And this media propaganda storm is STILL going.

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 3

I have only seen one group on the attack. Everyone wants to be neutral and say "oh you are both doing it", but realistically, that's not true. Someone made a neutralish comment earlier stating he saw right-wing people making snide remarks. Really? because I haven't. I have been on several different forums, and I haven't seen that, can someone please message me and show me some comments like this, there should be a lot of them based on some of the rhetoric here that the group I defend stands for so much hate (I don't think so...).

no... One group is demonizing the other, and the other group is fighting back. That is why I defend the group being attacked. You can say both groups are doing it... but... fighting back when people are demonizing you isn't the same as attacking (and the reason they are being demonized is the backlash generated by a media propaganda storm the likes of which I have NEVER seen). And this media propaganda storm is STILL going.

Oh yeah. As some who studied journalism in College, I was pretty shocked at the American media during these elections. They do tend to be slightly biased, but during these elections, they didn't just cross the line, they walked right through it. I was so disgusted I actually felt shame for being a journalist.

It was so bad, I went "you know what? I actually want Trump to win just to see their reaction." Apparently, a lot of Americans probably thought the same. And when he did win, I saw the reaction. It was priceless.

Edited by RiseofSpectrum
  • Brohoof 2

Not really, most of CA is pretty remote and most of the population is just situated in a few urban regions. Go north of the Bay Area and save for a few smaller cities here and there it has nothing to do with "crowded".

Edited by Minccino

• 4 weeks later...

LOL you would hate every other nation on the planet, ever! If you live in a country, examples: Roman Empire or America, you get lumped into that nations term for its people. So you'd be Roman, even if you didnt live in the capital. Point is, dont like being called 'American', go somewhere else. But remember, no matter where you go, you WILL be called that nationality. Canadian, Mexican, British, ect..

@@AaronMk

Wow, I never knew New York had forests and stuff xD I guess I fell for the way the TV showed New York to be, which was usually always as a huge city. 

I didn know either, im so impressed to see those photos lmao :love:

I can understand what OP says. specially when we do the same with the term "asian". But USA has the same president, is not kinda the same than with asians. Isnt like European Union either. all whole europe doesnt has a total unique only-one president. 

Anyways even when we say "american" we know that texas and california are very different, for exemple xD

its better to say "north american" tho. america also is south america and so. and for these countries we dont say "american". but i understand that saying just american is shorter and more practial xD

Edited by Tropico

I guess people would hate the term american, because when we use 'american' automatically people would think americans as in prideful, arrogant, huge consumer, paranoid for no good reasons (*cough always blaming the russian eh?)  anything but the goods. Beside having strong military and diversity. 

Heck there's stereotypes for all country that many are not so proud off and not many doesn't want to be put into one category with those who are what people say. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been an Arizonian all my life, yet I classify myself as just an American, as do I anyone who was born in this land. The striped starry flag is superior to all of our state flags not the other way around.

jaywalking

pfff, who thought of that idea 

I actually know the answer to this...

When cars first became a thing in the early 1900s there were plenty of incidents involving drivers accidentally running down pedestrians in, or crossing the streets. Car manufactures had to save themselves from this situation so they wouldn't lose business so they blamed the citizens who crossed into the streets without regarding traffic regulation, and refereed to them as a "jaywalker", back in the early 1900s, "jay" was a pretty offensive slur which basically meant you were an incompetent hillbilly.

• Brohoof 1

I honestly don't know why should it bother you. I wish I was american and I'm from the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.

I've always had a desire to live and enjoy the liberties in the US, especially in the Mid-west/Mid-States (wouldn't really like to live in the coastal cities).

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

No, I actually kinda like it. It gives me an ever so slight sense of unity in a world where everyone thinks they have to be independent. While many states have different laws and many people have different opinions of said laws, we're all united under one Constitution and federal government that every state has to listen to. We're all being considered one group of people because we technically are one big group of people, just with smaller subdivisions. I see your point in that you don't really care about the other states' issues, and that's totally fine, but I like to look to the world beyond not only my state, but my country as well. In the end, we're all just humans, yet we create these demonyms simply to distinguish which people live where. All in all, it's not necessarily a bad thing to be "American", it's just a demonym.

You dont have to be a bleeding nationalist to want good things for your country and the people in it... people separate social circles by race, religion, political affiliation, class... this is just an extremely divided country, and it isnt solely the alt right, or far left sjws.. everyone is contributing to this in our country currently... blame games, finger pointing, and no personal accountability and high levels of self interest... but to think about what America could be, you have to at least have it in your mind that you want good things for people... that you want people to progress in their personal lives.. to want peoples families not to be under the boot of the society... anyone can publicly sound like a smarmy kiss ass, or you can be a complete ignoramus that lives inside your own self comfort and act as if there are no problems with our society... or you can continue the shame of our country and what has us so divided... I agree the current pecking order isnt going to bring people together... but the people have to want to make actual progress... the problem is the opposing sides are extremism... and you have to kneel to someone elses belief to have a majority approval, because people dont know anything about individuality and they create identities based off other peoples political beliefs because they agree about one thing... dont make political identities based on things that are just a part of you, and hope for good things... even if you dont like the person... or the leader... approval comes from doing well... but  our country already has the perfect figure of blame picked out... dont think about the things that are getting you down... take a break from smoking... quit doing hard drugs... start putting in apps through temp agencies and job and family services... spend time with your kids... stick up for the things you believe in, and do it in good moral, with good intent, and stay focused on the best resolution you can for your country, dont talk about how bad it is, do any one small thing in the big world of life to make it just that littlest bit better.

• 1 month later...

As a nationalist I don't mind this kind of thing. There's a similar thing in the UK, lots of people identify as English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh before British, I personally identify as British first then English second.

(edited)

I don't mind it. I'm of the mindset that will laugh along with someone who makes fun of us as well. It's important to laugh at yourself. I love calling us 'Murica for that reason. Playful humor is all.

I also have to say this: 

A wise man once said that America may not be perfect, but it's our home. It's our team. And if you don't want to root for your team then you should get the hell out of the stadium. 

Edited by Someguyinablazer
Clarity