Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Anyone else dislike the terms 'America(n)'?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

As someone who does not live in the US, I frequently use the term "American". The reason is that I do not know all the differences between the states and some things are common to the country as a whole. For example, the whole US has one President and it looks like the healthcare is privatized and expensive. It also looks like getting a gun is easier in most states of the US compared to my country, more people have them and so on.

The US is literally the ONLY country that’s has the word “America” in its official name: United States of America.

Thus, I believe if you’re gonna call anyone Americans, that would be the most obvious people to receive the title. Besides, “United Statsian” sounds frickin’ stupid.

• Brohoof 2

I can see the state pride and national pride side of things. There are many things that both my state and nation have accomplished but the last year has been particularly enlightening to me on how some things are definitely not what they seem in this country and don't let anyone else make your opinion for you. follow your own moral compass even if those around you don't go the same way.

54 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I don’t mind it in fact I’m damn proud of it. :sneer:

We're at odds with that. For me it is the exact opposite. My nationality is only a fuel for self-hatred and that doesn't seem to be getting any better at all, only worse. 

• Brohoof 1

I think, i can see and understand some of your points. As you are more than welcome to have your opinion and perspective on the matter. However, i would like to point out as i'm sure many other people did.

You are feeling a same sensation that many people in different countries feel. If i recall correctly France at one point probably still does have a group of people who live in and around Paris whom wish to be referred to as Parisian (Excuse me if i spelt that wrong). The case of this sort of individuality is something that many people will feel depending on the situation. As Europe, China, Russia and so forth all the continents and countries of the world have different concepts of the very same thing. Even if they all seem the same to us, they will be very different place to place. Entire Regions can be rather complex and changed around to be very distinct from one area to the next. And as a whole you are looking at a massive change in the way things are done. Culture isn't the only defining character. As Japan had like many nations a civil war, which was constantly over who would rule it, but the north and south were entirely different in their way of life. They may have followed the same religion(Lets say for simplicity), but it didn't mean they weren't perceived by others as different.

Another fun point that i don't know if anyone brought up, in Canada, or at least my little area that i am from in the second largest country in the world. We called USA, The states. We didn't call the country United States of America, or USA. I think that may have continued to other places but in my courses in Geography and such it would fall down that path of understanding that other nations referred to them as such, or America. We still called them American's of course but when talking about the country itself we'd just say the states.

But, as a whole, the populous does fall into the name of it's country and isn't separated too much outside the world. I was born in Quebec, and we are called "Québécois". However, when i'm asked where i'm from or such i will put Canada, or Canadian. Which is because in the end, i'm in the country of Canada. Quebec is very different from Ontario, ignoring language. We have a different mentality on things from what I've seen. Just like we have a different mentality from people in Texas, People in the maritime provinces, Alberta, and BC (I've traveled some parts of North America, not a lot just some). Anyways all this is just to say. What you feel isn't wrong to feel that way, but you merely need to learn to understand that you are still part of the larger whole that makes the States, and even if you guys are different laws and such and all that. You still all together form the unity that makes the States what it is. :D

To me, nothing wrong with word 'American', if some people dislike it that okay but don't try changing it and getting of rid. Yeah different states are different and different culture but it's called United States of America. It like some dislike British, as Britain is united, England, Scotland and Wales they had different culture.

I'm not American myself, but I see no problem with it. In fact, it sounds good to me for some reason I can't explain. :P

I've seen some criticize the term since it just refers to the US instead of the Americas in their entirety. But I still don't really think that would cause much confusion – people would most often refer to themselves and others by nationality rather than continent (I can only imagine a few situations where I'd call myself European rather than Finnish, and I think the same would apply to most non-US Americans).

Edited by Tacodidra
  • Brohoof 3