Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How do I start liking EQG?

Bomb Sheep

I mean... EQG is... great... from what I've heard, but i've watched 20 minutes into the first movie and it's cringy as hell and really, really confusing. I also hate the graphics.

I want to start liking EQG. How? How do I appreciate these movies? I don't understand why people enjoy them but.... I want to jump on the bandwagon as well. Please help me start appreciating the work that goes into EQG and EQG itself.

• Brohoof 1

Well EG Movies are spin-off than a normal MLP and why Equestria Girls was made? - Because Hasbro want to make new products and toys to tell I dunno if pony toys are selling better than EG dolls so that's why they did EG. (New toys)

And I think EG is better than MLP because.....it's better.  :huh:

Well did you watched Rainbow Rocks, Friendship Games and LOE already?

If not check it.

Well that's all I wanna say I dont know if this helps ya or not. 

Have a nice day!  :toldya:

Right. Well first off, watch MLP till Twilight becomes an alicorn. Then go to the first EG movie. U'll find that twilight is the twilight from ponyville who's gone into the human world. Secondly, if the graphics and designs are a problem for you, then close your eyes for the first 10-15 mins, and you can rest assured knowing the v/a's are still the same. Literally the only difference between MLP and EG is that they are human versions. If it's not your cup of tea, then just don't try it.

Other than that if you can get over the minor cringe factor and character design, they become relatively good animated movies. I was the same at first, but I continued watching it and apart from the friendship games (one or two songs are good but the premise was weak - the other 3 films are definitely better) I accepted it for what it was, a spin-off show that happens to utilize the same voice actors. Plus, Pinkie Pie was my favourite character anyway and regardless of shape she's always the same ^^

They're not great. In fact they're mediocre. I don't get why Bronies say they're anything special.

In order to start liking EQG, you have to watch it high.

Literally the only difference between MLP and EG is that they are human versions.

And the fact that FIM is better animated, has WAAAY better songs, is far less cringy, and actually explains how things work (even if it's at the bare minimum sometimes). Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

You don't just "start" liking it. It clicks, or it doesn't. Nevertheless, it seems to me that a majority of Bronies regard the first movie to be the worst, while the second movie receives a lot of praise. Try that one instead. If it does nothing for you, oh well.

• Brohoof 2

Why do you want to like it, though? Every series has better and worse parts, and what those parts are differs for everyone. If you don't like EQg, you don't like it. There's really nothing wrong with that. That said, the second movie is vastly better than the first one, so you might want to skip through the first one to get the gist of the story (there isn't much of it) and then move on to the second one. If you still don't like that one, write it off as a lost cause and simply continue liking the show itself, ignoring this particular spinoff.

Endure the first movie and the next two (though not the fourth) are quite a bit better. Don't bother continuing if Rainbow Rocks doesn't do anything for you, though. 

I mean... EQG is... great... from what I've heard, but i've watched 20 minutes into the first movie and it's cringy as hell and really, really confusing. I also hate the graphics.

I want to start liking EQG. How? How do I appreciate these movies? I don't understand why people enjoy them but.... I want to jump on the bandwagon as well. Please help me start appreciating the work that goes into EQG and EQG itself.

While nopony can make you like or dislike something, keep in mind that the first movie picks up quite a bit later on, and that the later instalments are significantly better than that one.

The graphics? I personally adore them, but as you don't I would recommend watching as much of it as you can to become as familiar with it as possible. Although, once again, only you can make yourself like what you want to like.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there a group somewhere which gets it's jollies by coming to the Equestria Girls board to say they don't like Equestria Girls and that they think it sucks? These threads keep happening. I've been to 4chan's /mlp/, I know these people exist. I know TheAnimatorOfficial does it.

They're not great. In fact they're mediocre. I don't get why Bronies say they're anything special.

In order to start liking EQG, you have to watch it high.
And the fact that FIM is better animated, has WAAAY better songs, is far less cringy, and actually explains how things work (even if it's at the bare minimum sometimes).

And the fact that FIM is better animated

They're the same. They're done by the same studio.

has WAAAY better songs

This is arguable and down to personal taste.

is far less cringy

Subjective. Define what makes something cringy. Why is EqG cringy and FiM is not? Are you aware one is about talking Ponies in magic land?

and actually explains how things work

Like magic? They have never explained how magic works in FiM either.

Edited by Evil_Emperor
  • Brohoof 1

the first one was indeed cringy, worst of them all.
just watch it for the plot, getting a little backstory, then watch RR and FG, and LoE if you want (i haven't watched the last one yet).
if you don't like it better after RR...well, then you don't, no need to like everything...right?

I know this thread is old, but why do you feel obligated to like or enjoy the movie(s)?

Personally, I've only seen the first 3. They have some good moments, but I don't find them particularly impressive, especially the first one. In a way, they're guilty pleasures for me.

look man, if you are not going to like Equestria Girls, you are just not going to like it. It comes with loose ends, continuity errors, quick plot device usage. However, the songs are wonderful, the animation is great for those that appreciate the pony relativity. I am in love with Rainbow Rocks. and I dont know how much you have watched, or know, so I dont want to begin spoiling things for you, that I imagine you well know being in this fandom. Sunset Shimmer though, is a great character, and I love everything they have done with her, and she is very special to me. I think that the Equestria Girls movies are actually pretty good for what they are. and I happen to really love RR and FG, so much that I went to see RR in theatres. The music, the characters, the content, and for some depending the writing (me in many ways). I just love the Equestria Girls series, even though they over complicate and dumb down just to tie plots together convienantly, I can look away from that because I love the franchise, and everything else about the movie.

YOu seriously don't even have to like EQG because its really has nothing to do with MLP itself.... I personally find the movies to be not all that special..... Don't force yourself to like something that may have no hope of you ever liking because frankly I don't see it happening.... 

That being said I really think EQG is going to take over after MLP is over or even before then because it actually seems you seem more EQG stuff in the store then ACTUAL MLP stuff....... I hope this doesn't get a series and they kill it soon

If you want to like something just to be "in" with the fandom: you WON'T, EVER, like it  >_> . If you couldn't watch 20 mins of the first movie, that's a sign EG is not for you, but since it's mostly considered the weakest entry, I'd say you should try Rainbow Rocks or Legend of the Everfree. If you feel the same way, then just leave them