Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can eqg stand without Sunset?

ManaMinori

If this franchise took away SS, to put her, in some way, into FiM, as many people want, can eqg stand without her? Personally, I feel with the Sirens, The Shadowbolts, SciTwi, Timber, Gloriosa, potentially the human world Sunset, and many other students at the school, there is enough to develop in place of Sunset, if she ever is pulled out and placed elsewhere. (Though I feel she might be better off getting main focus of gen 5, at this point).

But what do you guys think? Can Equestria Girls stand if Sunset was removed?

• Brohoof 1

Sunset essentially exists as EQG's Twilight Sparkle. She's the centrepiece of the whole franchise and removing her would pretty much be like removing Twilight Sparkle herself. 

Sure, there's plenty of supporting characters and themes, but Sunset Shimmer is the main character(always has been, really-even in the first movie). You can't remove her and still keep the series feeling the same. 

A more interesting opportunity might be having the original human Sunset Shimmer accidentally making her way to Equestria and having to figure things out there. 

Edited by Unikitty
  • Brohoof 2

Sunset essentially exists as EQG's Twilight Sparkle. She's the centrepiece of the whole franchise and removing her would pretty much be like removing Twilight Sparkle herself.

Sure, there's plenty of supporting characters and themes, but Sunset Shimmer is the main character(always has been, really-even in the first movie). You can't remove her and still keep the series feeling the same.

A more interesting opportunity might be having the original human Sunset Shimmer accidentally making her way to Equestria and having to figure things out there.

but now SciTwi has come in. I can see SS being that world's Twilight, but they threw a Twilight in that world too, now. And now that they did, they're eventually gonna have to address human world Sunny as well. So where does pony Sunny stand after all this doppleganger mess? Doubt she can still stay in au land, after earlier movies stressed that chaos will happen if dopplegangers exist in the same space

I personally only watch EQG just for Sunset Shimmer and removing her essentially makes EQG less interesting. It might stand without her character story/arc but it wouldn't be as enjoyable.

• Brohoof 2

but now SciTwi has come in. I can see SS being that world's Twilight, but they threw a Twilight in that world too, now. And now that they did, they're eventually gonna have to address human world Sunny as well. So where does pony Sunny stand after all this doppleganger mess? Doubt she can still stay in au land, after earlier movies stressed that chaos will happen if dopplegangers exist in the same space

I should clarify that I've yet to see Legends of Everfree. But after a brief run-through, I still stand by my earlier post. 

While the movie does have focus on SciTwi, it's still more like an introductory sequence for a new character. She gets plenty of attention, but still appears to be more alongside Sunset Shimmer and her group. 

Drawing more parallels, it's easy to consider SciTwi as being Starlight Glimmer's role in EQG. Started as a villain. Defeated. Given new friendship opportunities alongside the main character, with her being a sort of mentor.

Sunset Shimmer is the focal point for all the other characters coming together, even if Twilight Sparkle helped out a few times, and SciTwi is now in the picture. 

Sunset has become the heart of Equestria Girls yet I suspect that the writers will now focus on making Sci-Twi the central character while giving Sunset a mentor role that the show has in the form of Twilight becoming a mentor to Starlight. I do want to see Sunset return to Equestria so that she can reconcile with Princess Celestia, something that really needs to be done one of these days, but could she abandon the life she has made in the human world?

Sunset in EQ is like Starlight in FiM, both don't have a distinct personality or talent and therefore, the fans can do whatever they want with them in their fanfics. I don't know why they keep putting Twilight or Sci-Twi on the covers in front of everyone else. It's like getting credit for something that the other person did because you're the most popular. Getting rid of Sunset just shows the lack of commitment from the writers and them refusing to anything different to what they're used to doing, I can imagine their reaction if they saw anyone other than Twilight on the cover.

after earlier movies stressed that chaos will happen if dopplegangers exist in the same space

Sunset and the Sirens/Dazzlings (both of whom presumably have EQG counterparts somewhere) have been there for implicitly years, yet the EQG-verse is just fine.

And Main!Twilight and Main!Spike have been there 3 times, yet the worst that's happened was an awkward post-credits meeting in FG.

All of the EQG "chaos" so far has only occurred due to stray magic, not co-existing doppelgangers.

Maybe, but EQG is pretty crappy without Sunset. Every other character is already in the original show and to add to it their movie counterparts are just less developed versions of them. I'd say the biggest draw to equestria girls is sunset shimmer. Even Rainbow Rocks would have suffered without her. Sure, the songs would still be great but imo the best parts were the ones with Sunset, especially the huge, satisfying payoff where she earns her pony form by helping to defeat the dazzlings.

I think EG will feel hollow without Sunny. The others sans Twi are good out of familiarity, but they suffer from lack of development and flanderization at times, plus we already know they pony selves, and seeing only their human selves i'd be like watching the same story. Dunno what's in store for human Twi, but even in her development in Legend of the Everfree, Sunny played a great part in helping her 

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, EGQ would be somewhat pointless and shallow without Sunset Shimmer. She provides a new and important connection for Twilight and the others, and having her appear deepens an exploration of Twilight's character. I also think she adds this awesome depth on the concepts of good and evil. She represents this grey area that isn't usually explored in kids shows, and her ability to see things from all angles is a very important lesson I think. Without sunset Shimmer, EQG would be just human clones of the mane six, without any substantial character development or tension.

• Brohoof 1

EQG emphasized too much on Sunset, like she is the reason we watch that show right now, and it isnt healthy for this series in the long run, Legend of Everfree is a really good example of how Sunset character has to carry this franchise over her shoulders because the others are just pale in comparison. That why i prefer the show in the long run, every character is stand out so that they can have a story on their own, many episodes of the show didnt even feature mane 6 at all, i love it. Make more favorite characters instead of heavily replying on one, because someday and somewhere, maybe there is somebody who come and BUTCHER Sunset character ;), and those who just watch this series just because of this character will be suffering the most. Dont put every eggs in the same basket.

Edited by Lambdadelta

well no tbh. The first film had her as the bad guy but the mane 6/7 had Pony Twi to lead them and be the focus of the film. 

Rainbow Rocks, we saw Sunset grow as a character much like we did with Twi in season 1, but here Sunset is learning and even calls on Twilight for help, she has not cemented herself as a leader yet, but we do get to see her acend at the end and take over from Twilight. 

In Friendship Games and Legend of the Everfree, the roles are reversed as we have started again with Twilight learning how to make friends and understand her magic. Sunset has taken on her leader role and she does it amazingly. The best part is that apart from the Magic knowledge, she is not a Twilight clone, she is her own character and personally I love how strong of a personality she has. Its also the student has become the Teacher. 

I dont know if we will see Twilight take over in future though.

I don't know how you would really write the EQG films without Sunset in it know other than keep having Pony Twi return, but then that would make little sense having the Sci Twi involved. Ahhhh paradoxes! 

I mean, I can think of a few ways in which it could, but removing Sunset would require the movies to find something else to replace her; my issue with Legend of Everfree was that it didn't have any of the stuff which made Sunset in the previous two movies, but it didn't bring in anything else meaningful to replace that. Bringing in human Sunset and delving further into how the mane six live differently without magic would both be pretty interesting, but I'm not as sure that the Sirens, the Shadowbolts, or Gloriosa and Timber have all that much left to hold the series together. And this whole thing where the mane seven become pseudo-superheroes certainly isn't enough, as to me it honestly feels significantly blander than the high school nonsense we all feared these movies would be. Like, the show's best two-parters work because their main conflicts are grounded in something, but there's nothing particularly fresh or meaningful in EqG's current direction. 

That all said, Sunset has no personality without her insecurities, and now that those are mostly gone, I'm not entirely convinced that the movies would be that much less interesting for her absence. Could force SciTwi to actually muster up some personal strength and act like her counterpart, at least. Still, my preference would be for the movies to focus on Sunset's own concerns and insecurities again and give her some actual interests and flaws so she's not a slab of wood. 

I don't think it can, really. With Sunset as the last true tie to Equestria removing her would also remove any connection the movies have with the series proper. Aside from that, she's basically the main character of the movies now and I feel like she's something of a mentor to SciTwi. If she leaves the human world, which I think she'll have to do at some point to prevent the two worlds from merging, I think the franchise will end with that. They could go on from there, but I feel it would become entirely slice of life at that point, because I think Sunset would take the magic with her when she leaves because the barrier would be restored.

Edited by KatonRyu

They could go on from there, but I feel it would become entirely slice of life at that point, because I think Sunset would take the magic with her when she leaves because the barrier would be restored.

I feel like there's at least potential for a short miniseries in a slice-of-life Equestria Girls , if they focus on the right things (the details of the main six's lives, human Sunset Shimmer, absurdity like high school motocross), but unless they lean hard on differentiating the world - and thus move really far away from the movies' original idea - it'd run out eventually. 

Sunset Shimmer is what could be considered the Twilight Sparkle of the human mane 6, taking her away would be like taking Twiight from the pony mane 6... it would just fall apart. I think she's needed way more in the human world than in equestria if I'm honest.