Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Has there ever been a show that received backlash and made you want to watch it

Tilgoreth

I used to watch Once Upon A Time. But awhile back I stopped. A few months ago I read an article talking about how conservative groups where angry at the show. Apparently Red Riding Hood kissed a woman. :D And they where mad because Once Upon A Time is a family friendly show. Which I wouldn't dispute. They even brought in Elsa and Anna. But I still found the show interesting. Anyways they where mad at two women kissing. Which isn't even a big deal. They already made Mulan a lesbian. But I do think the response is strange. Regina(the evil queen) has literally murdered thousands of innocent people. And she kills them by ripping there beating hearts out. I mean the hearts are glowing and magical but I still think that's a pretty violent way to die. So because this respond I want to watch the show again. Have you eve had a similar experience? Where stupid and unwarranted backlash happens? And you want to watch the show even more.

Hey, @TheImmortalLegendG. Since your thread has to do with shows, I scooted it next door into Media Discussion. Thanks! :)

I also added the "Movies/TV" prefix for ya to further categorize your thread. ^^

• Brohoof 1

Not entirely sure this is related, but around the time the first Harry Potter books dropped, the backlash from the conservative religious groups about it being about wizards and witches did make me interested enough to pick up the books and eventually read all seven books and watch all eight movies. 

While it wasn't the entire reason I got into it, the extra publicity caused by it did cause me to notice the books sooner.

As far as anything making me want to watch something I was already into... Hmm, let me think... 

There was that stink over Pokemon when I was a kid, something involving PETA and the abuse of virtual animals... I was young at the time, but it did remind me Pokemon was a thing and I picked up the new games shortly after and started watching the show again.

Edited by GlaciesFrost
  • Brohoof 1

No, not personally. Neither I let narrow minded people project their insecurities upon me, so they can feel justified in their fear.

The responsible is nowhere but inside themselves.

I come from an environment of prejudice mysef. And the perceptual limitations further fed my curiosity, regarding those "prohibited" subjects.

Some of this people were traditionalists, normality meant a limited perception of reality for them. Which is also "normal" when one is ignorant of life's variety.

• Brohoof 3

Define backlash. Do mean in that it did something controversial? Or backlash in that it's a steaming pile of poop? Because I've had my fair share of shows I watched for being shit

• Brohoof 1

Define backlash. Do mean in that it did something controversial? Or backlash in that it's a steaming pile of poop? Because I've had my fair share of shows I watched for being shit

I mean in that either a conservative or liberal group had a fit over something in a show. Especially if it wasn't offensive and inconsequential.

Not entirely sure this is related, but around the time the first Harry Potter books dropped, the backlash from the conservative religious groups about it being about wizards and witches did make me interested enough to pick up the books and eventually read all seven books and watch all eight movies. 

While it wasn't the entire reason I got into it, the extra publicity caused by it did cause me to notice the books sooner.

As far as anything making me want to watch something I was already into... Hmm, let me think... 

There was that stink over Pokemon when I was a kid, something involving PETA and the abuse of virtual animals... I was young at the time, but it did remind me Pokemon was a thing and I picked up the new games shortly after and started watching the show again.

Yeah the Harry Potter backlash was silly. I mean His Dark Materials series is about the catholic church and killing god. And nobody even cared.

No, not personally. Neither I let narrow minded people project their insecurities upon me, so they can feel justified in their fear.

The responsible is nowhere but inside themselves.

I come from an environment of prejudice mysef. And the perceptual limitations further fed my curiosity, regarding those "prohibited" subjects.

Some of this people were traditionalists, normality meant a limited perception of reality for them. Which is also "normal" when one is ignorant of life's variety.

I don't either. Whenever liberal or conservative backlash happens it only makes me more interested.

Yeah the Harry Potter backlash was silly. I mean His Dark Materials series is about the catholic church and killing god. And nobody even cared.

Gotta remind these guys that wizards played a pretty large role in The Lord of the Rings... one of the most beloved and well known fantasy series of all time (that also eventually got a movie series set around them... go figure, it's like seeing a fantasy about magic and adventure and things you don't see every day is something people enjoy to spend their time and imaginations on...).

Edited by GlaciesFrost
  • Brohoof 1

Gotta remind these guys that wizards played a pretty large role in The Lord of the Rings... one of the most beloved and well known fantasy series of all time (that also eventually got a movie series set around them... go figure, it's like seeing a fantasy about magic and adventure and things you don't see every day is something people enjoy to spend their time and imaginations on...).

Also isn't J.K Rowling christian? It wouldn't really make sense for her to write a book about the occult. :D Go figure. Some people will get offend by things without actually looking in to them. Especially when the thing there offended by is inconsequential. Like the thing I mentioned in my original post. The fact that people freaked out over that was so stupid. :D
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...