Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Some freaked out over lesbians in Once Upon A Time

Tilgoreth

See here: http://www.onemillionmoms.com/current-campaigns/lesbian-kiss-in-once-upon-a-time/ And Here: https://www.moviefone.com/2016/04/18/once-upon-a-time-fans-strong-feelings-lgbt-storyline/

I honestly don't understand the reaction. Especially considering everything else on the show. For one thing there have been lesbians before. Mulan had a crush on Aurora(I think she had a crush on sleeping beauty but I could be wrong) but didn't get with her. So showing two women kiss isn't a big deal for the show. Even liberals got upset. They didn't just want a token relationship. Which I guess I can understand. Image below:

See here: http://www.onemillionmoms.com/current-campaigns/lesbian-kiss-in-once-upon-a-time/ And Here: https://www.moviefone.com/2016/04/18/once-upon-a-time-fans-strong-feelings-lgbt-storyline/

I honestly don't understand the reaction. Especially considering everything else on the show. For one thing there have been lesbians before. Mulan had a crush on Aurora(I think she had a crush on sleeping beauty but I could be wrong) but didn't get with her. So showing two women kiss isn't a big deal for the show. Even liberals got upset. They didn't just want a token relationship. Which I guess I can understand. Image below:

I think the reaction. Is somewhat strange. Regina(the evil queen) has murdered thousands of innocent people. And she killed them by ripping out there hearts. So people get offended by two women kissing. But not my murder in a family tv show? :sigh: Two women kissing is the least offensive thing on the show.

post-39856-0-87158600-1483966722_thumb.png

• Brohoof 3

Seems to be another classic case of 'people are stupid'. Seriously, these people need to get over it. Same sex couples exist, they will always exist and showing that in a TV show is perfectly fine. Love is love.

Also for the record, I have never seen this show before.

• Brohoof 7

Seems to be another classic case of 'people are stupid'. Seriously, these people need to get over it. Same sex couples exist, they will always exist and showing that in a TV show is perfectly fine. Love is love.

I just think it's strange considering everything else. Especially when main characters have literally murdered thousands of innocent people. And like I said this isn't even the first lesbian. They made Mulan one from way back.
  • Brohoof 1

I dont understand all the Love for Regina.

She kills thousands of People and at this Point, she is almost the most liked character on the Show, which i dont understand in the slightest. And then People complain about Lesbians?

Thinking a murderer is cool is okay, but showing Lesbians is controversial.

What? Bruh.. :wacko:

• Brohoof 4

I like Kyoshis post, people are stupid. Logically, showing murder is even worse than showing ANYTHING sexually related. If anyone asked would you rather be raped or be killed, everyone will say raped. Let alone something lesbian like this. 

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 4

Simple as cake, the LGBT+ community will not get through to all old-fashioned, religious a*holes as long as they live because they're just THAT stubborn and they see us as some kind of virus. Be that way, then. We still stand strong and we WON'T budge, no matter how much straight religious parents rage upon LGBT+ couples shown on TV, no matter if it's animated or not. It's ABOUT TIME we get shown through in TV and if they want to complain, sure, do that but we're the ones winning the fight when all they do is to come with useless arguments that don't even make any sense to begin with because they're "scared". Censor it in other countries, whatever they feel like doing because they're close-minded dumbnuts with some kind of made up fear that gays will take over the world. Gosh, love is love and will ALWAYS be just that.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 3

Really?  I've seen quite a few shows with this kind of romance in it over the past few years so I don't see why people would get all mad about it.  It is so common now in TV that I don't see why people would go after one show for it since it is such a popular thing to do in shows now. What is so bad about it anyways?  If people are getting murdered left and right I'm sure kids are't going to get scared from something like that.

• Brohoof 1

If people were complaining about the fact of how Lesbian Mulan didn't officially get with another after a few episodes of subtle building up her orientation, that would be more understandable.

As enjoyable as the show can be, one of its many flaws is that showrunners tend to waste perfectly good plots and characters before they start to get interesting. But to me (and possibly other Oncers), a wasted plot or character is potential fanfic fuel waiting to be written.

For me personally, I'm just glad that despite not finding her own "true love", Lesbian Mulan actually helped another lesbian reunite with the latter’s true love. You don't have to end up with someone to be happy; doing something as heartwarming as helping others is just as good a reward.

If the complaints were less about showing a LGBT character and more about how plots and characters are being wasted, I'd be more inclined to agree.

I've been an Oncer (term for fan of the show) since before Season 3, so unless there are other Oncer on this forum, I probably know the most about it!

• Brohoof 1

To be fair, this was really a Twilight Sparkle x Flash Sentry kind of thing. There was nothing leading up to it. Just, they meet. Suddenly in love, and yay happiness. It felt really really forced. 

I did not buy this at all. Feels more like they were trying to shove down their own agenda/message rather than make an actual good story/episode. 

But meh, what do I care about such a relationship. There are other romances that also felt really forced. But then there are also other romances that have actually had some builds. There are many things to criticize Once Upon A Time for. I am just there for Mr. Gold. 

I can understand people who feel as ABC Studios took a turn in a pretty poor way. They could have at least made this look real. I just was not convinced by this at all. 

While I don't mind same sex relationships portrayed in any TV series or movies, I am not a fan if it comes off as heavily political and forced just to force an agenda. Those kinds of things have always rubbed me the wrong way. 

• Brohoof 1

A warning, don't watch it. It's gone to total shit since it started up. It was okay once, but not anymore. ABC kills more good shows than any other TV network. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm no SJW, but... give me a break.

She kills thousands of People and at this Point, she is almost the most liked character on the Show, which i dont understand in the slightest. And then People complain about Lesbians?

I like Kyoshis post, people are stupid. Logically, showing murder is even worse than showing ANYTHING sexually related. If anyone asked would you rather be raped or be killed, everyone will say raped. Let alone something lesbian like this. 

Yes, yes, and yes. I just don't see how the backlash is logical.

6d3.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I think it's because she's a sympathetic villain. Granted they more or less forgave her for all the people she killed. Which is why I liked when Robin Hood's wife came back.

Really?  I've seen quite a few shows with this kind of romance in it over the past few years so I don't see why people would get all mad about it.  It is so common now in TV that I don't see why people would go after one show for it since it is such a popular thing to do in shows now. What is so bad about it anyways?  If people are getting murdered left and right I'm sure kids are't going to get scared from something like that.

Which is my point exactly. Personally I don't think the murder portrayed in the show is objectionable. It is bloodless and quick. Still though murder is kind of dark for a family show. So I think it's weird that they'd only point out when two women kiss.

If people were complaining about the fact of how Lesbian Mulan didn't officially get with another after a few episodes of subtle building up her orientation, that would be more understandable.

As enjoyable as the show can be, one of its many flaws is that showrunners tend to waste perfectly good plots and characters before they start to get interesting. But to me (and possibly other Oncers), a wasted plot or character is potential fanfic fuel waiting to be written.

For me personally, I'm just glad that despite not finding her own "true love", Lesbian Mulan actually helped another lesbian reunite with the latter’s true love. You don't have to end up with someone to be happy; doing something as heartwarming as helping others is just as good a reward.

If the complaints were less about showing a LGBT character and more about how plots and characters are being wasted, I'd be more inclined to agree.

I've been an Oncer (term for fan of the show) since before Season 3, so unless there are other Oncer on this forum, I probably know the most about it!

I've watched the show since season three was on. I stopped sometime before they went to hell. Which was also during like the winter hiatus. But my point is that I understand what you mean by wasted stories. I hated that flip flop with Rumplestiltskin. That was one of the reasons I was hesitant to watch the show again.

Can't wait to see their reactions to the inevitable same sex Animated Disney Canon romance.

Disney is a corporation. Their not going to alienate their audience that way. The most Wed get is a gay lead in a Disney channel show.

To be fair, this was really a Twilight Sparkle x Flash Sentry kind of thing. There was nothing leading up to it. Just, they meet. Suddenly in love, and yay happiness. It felt really really forced. 

I did not buy this at all. Feels more like they were trying to shove down their own agenda/message rather than make an actual good story/episode. 

But meh, what do I care about such a relationship. There are other romances that also felt really forced. But then there are also other romances that have actually had some builds. There are many things to criticize Once Upon A Time for. I am just there for Mr. Gold. 

I can understand people who feel as ABC Studios took a turn in a pretty poor way. They could have at least made this look real. I just was not convinced by this at all. 

While I don't mind same sex relationships portrayed in any TV series or movies, I am not a fan if it comes off as heavily political and forced just to force an agenda. Those kinds of things have always rubbed me the wrong way.

I haven't watched Once Upon A Time in awhile. But I know what you mean. It's my biggest problem with Korrasami. It had no context and came from nowhere. Sure bisexual women got together. Yeah I think that's cool but it was so forced. Hopefully they can fix the relationship in the graphic novel. And maybe even have a Canon kiss. :wub:

A warning, don't watch it. It's gone to total shit since it started up. It was okay once, but not anymore. ABC kills more good shows than any other TV network.

Do you mean the Frozen stuff? I didn't think that storyline was that bad. And since ABC is owned by Disney it was sort of inevitable. The thing I really didn't like was what they did with Rumlestiltskin. That killed his character for me.

Do you mean the Frozen stuff? I didn't think that storyline was that bad. And since ABC is owned by Disney it was sort of inevitable. The thing I really didn't like was what they did with Rumlestiltskin. That killed his character for me.

Nooooo. I stopped watching it way before the Frozen stuff. It died to me after about the 2nd season. 

• Brohoof 1

I'm no SJW, but... give me a break.

Yes, yes, and yes. I just don't see how the backlash is logical.

sig-4787106.6d3.jpg

I agree with that. Two women kissing is the least offensive thing on the show. Especially when you have main characters who have killed thousands of innocent people. And when there was already a lesbian on the show. I guess Ruby is bisexual because she dated guys before.

Nooooo. I stopped watching it way before the Frozen stuff. It died to me after about the 2nd season.

Don't remember what happened then. But I actually liked the direction the show went. Then they ruined Rumplestiltskin. I felt like a complete idiot had taken over writing his character. The only other character I like as much is Regina. And that's only after she stopped being a b*tch.
  • Brohoof 1

I've watched the show since season three was on. I stopped sometime before they went to hell. Which was also during like the winter hiatus. But my point is that I understand what you mean by wasted stories. I hated that flip flop with Rumplestiltskin. That was one of the reasons I was hesitant to watch the show again.

The main reason why I keep watching the show in spite of its seasonal decay is because I really want to know what's going to happen next for the characters, for better or worse. I respect your decision to not be into it anymore, though.

For me, Mr. Gold's most heroic moment was at the end of the first half of Season 3 where... (spoilers-covered in case)

Mr. Gold sacrifices his life to take down his father, Malcolm AKA Peter Pan with him to save everyone.

Ever since he found the Sorcerer's Hat at the lakeside mansion at the start of Season 4, his want for BOTH power and to be free of the Dagger's control came back and he's been causing his own downfall instead of just letting it go. Speaking of which...

I quite enjoyed the Frozen arc. Some changes were made to the characters' backstories to fit the OUaT world, but that's always been the premise of the show: giving a new twist on the fairy tales we know, especially the ones adapted by Disney.  While many famous characters from fairy tales that were adapted by Disney make appearances, it's established early on that characters being like their Disney animated counterpart is the exception, NOT the rule.

Getting sidetracked; About the original point of the topic: It's pathetic to get all up in arms about lesbians appearing in a show that's rated TV-PG and not even aimed at children.

• Brohoof 1

The main reason why I keep watching the show in spite of its seasonal decay is because I really want to know what's going to happen next for the characters, for better or worse. I respect your decision to not be into it anymore, though.

For me, Mr. Gold's most heroic moment was at the end of the first half of Season 3 where... (spoilers-covered in case)

Mr. Gold sacrifices his life to take down his father, Malcolm AKA Peter Pan with him to save everyone.

Ever since he found the Sorcerer's Hat at the lakeside mansion at the start of Season 4, his want for BOTH power and to be free of the Dagger's control came back and he's been causing his own downfall instead of just letting it go. Speaking of which...

I quite enjoyed the Frozen arc. Some changes were made to the characters' backstories to fit the OUaT world, but that's always been the premise of the show: giving a new twist on the fairy tales we know, especially the ones adapted by Disney.  While many famous characters from fairy tales that were adapted by Disney make appearances, it's established early on that characters being like their Disney animated counterpart is the exception, NOT the rule.

Getting sidetracked; About the original point of the topic: It's pathetic to get all up in arms about lesbians appearing in a show that's rated TV-PG and not even aimed at children.

Yeah Gold' s regression back to evil made me mad. It spat in the face of all that came before. It finally seems like he was actually going to be better for Belle. Then he said screw it and went back to being evil. Also Once is aimed at kids. I've seen children fans before. It's why it's a family show. It has content that both kids and adults can enjoy. Seriously if it wasn't aimed at kids then the Frozen sex would have been pointless.