Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Was reforming Discord a mistake?

ManaMinori

Looking back at "keep calm and Flutter on", Sunbutt wanted Discord reformed to use his magic for good instead of evil. And that she wanted him to use magic obediently, of his own free will. Problem is, Discord never really was using his magic for evil, nor was he using it against his own will. He was a chaotic being, doing what chaotic beings do best. Causing chaos. And through his own free, prankster will.

Were the ponies right in trying to reign in Discord's very nature? Since then he really hasn't done much chaos, as his nature demands.

Maybe, all I do know is that ever since they reformed him and made him a recurring character, I've gotten sick of him quicker

• Brohoof 2

Nah, Keep Calm and Flutter On was like Fluttershy's best episode! Made the best use of her! Although Discord is getting a bit old at this point, however, after his interactions with Trixie, I kinda wanna see an episode focusing on those two! :3

• Brohoof 1

Discord still acts in a chaotic manner though it's been tamed considerably ever since his reformation. He still enjoys pulling pranks, showing off his magic, and believing himself to be the most important character around. Sure, Discord isn't his pure chaotic self where he wanted to turn all of Equestria into a mad house, but I still enjoy seeing him make appearances, especially with Fluttershy. Those two have become really close.

Edited by Ganondorf8
  • Brohoof 7

Changing Discord seems like just another situation where they had to make a (so-called) villain into a good guy. I never liked it when they took interesting characters like that and ran them through the cliche apology mill. Once he became 'good' it seemed the writers just didn't know what to do with him. Now they can't seem to find the right balance between making him a squeaky clean good guy and a textured character with a penchant for the chaotic. 

Discord is what he is, and if the writers really want to show friendship among their characters, they should realize that accepting someone like Discord for what they are is a part of what true friendship is all about. Celestia's enlisting the Mane 6 to try to change him really goes against this whole idea (since he was doing no evil). Fluttershy understood and accepted him, but maybe Celestia and the others should have been 'changed' to fit into his version of friendship.  

• Brohoof 3

maybe Celestia and the others should have been 'changed' to fit into his version of friendship.  

I dunno about that. As we heard in the episode that led to his reformation, he'd never had friends before. It stands to reason that he doesn't know quite how to deal with people, and at the time had never known how to care about someone. Getting used to those feelings (including jealousy, which he felt with Tree Hugger) was actually quite refreshing. I was a rather isolated child growing up, and I know those feelings of jealousy, feeling like someone is trying to steal one of the only people who matter in your life away from you. I found his reaction to be quite fitting, if overplayed. But Discord has huge power. Throwing a hissy fit using that power isn't exactly what I'd call out of character for him. 

He has reformed and promised to use his power for the greater good, but he still falls under the "Chaotic Good/Neutral" spectrum. He's still selfish, loud, narcissistic, uncouth, and generally doesn't like not getting his way. The only real difference that I've noticed, besides him slowly trying to deal with people in a less harsh manner, is that he doesn't just go around spreading chaos all willy nilly all over the place. He'll do it small scale, but not as large scale as he used to. I find myself liking his character more as they progress him. As far as people getting used to his version of friendship... I think Spike and Big Mac have taken a liking to him on his own terms, in a manner of speaking. In fact, in Dungeons and Discords, not just Discord, but Big Mac and Spike had to rein themselves in and mutually apologize for their behavior. This, to me, shows great character growth, especially on Discord's part.

• Brohoof 1

It kind of was a mistake but it kind of wasn't at the same time. If he wasn't reformed Fluttercord would've never been huge and god that's one creepy ship ngl. But he's used for comic relief now which ain't a bad thing. Dunno his reformation wasn't necessary.

Edited by Neon Lights

Nu! Discord was an evil kind of pranker. Now he looks much better when he isn't only who's laughing.

So wise aunt Celestia made a right chose. She knows how magic of friendship should work.

• Brohoof 1

No.

Discord, pre-reformation was a villain that made everybody's life hell. The trouble is, how much in the way of new stories can you get out of the mane6 vs Discord? Not many, not if you dont want to be effectively repeating the same story.

It's not like with Q of Star Trek, as Q was rarely a direct villain- antagonist yes, but he wasn't typically out to be the main cast, nor was their direct conflict.

Reforming Discord was the only way to keep him in the show.

• Brohoof 4

While I enjoy Discord NOW, his reformation was extremely rushed and poorly done. It's almost like the writers did this on purpose for the season 4 finale. Overall though, no i don't think his reformation was a mistake.

discord_eating_popcorn_vector_by_herrmyr

• Brohoof 1

No. I loved Discord as a villain, but while I was initially afraid that they would completely turn him into a good guy (hence doing away with his true nature entirely, which is what made me like him so much), I think the writers have done a great job of still making him... well, Discord, even after being reformed. Just like in 'Three's a Crowd' and 'What About Discord?' Those episodes are classic examples of how he's still who he is. Still loves getting under ponies' skin, still loves being the Lord of Chaos, even after being reformed. Because that's just who he is.

As I said, I loved Discord as a villain, but I like him bond with the Mane Six as well. Two of my favorite moments in the series were when Discord realized what he'd done by betraying the Mane Six and aiding Tirek and had (in his mind) lost the only friends he'd ever had because of his own selfishness, and then when the Mane Six forgave him despite all he'd done and his friendship with them was restored. Those were some pretty touching moments, that I thought were done very, very well. I actually like reformed Discord better than villain Discord, and that's something I don't say lightly.

I also really like him as a recurring character. Unlike some people, I never seem to get tired of him either. I'm always super excited to watch every episode he makes an appearance in, because to me, he just never gets old. He's Discord! What's there about him to tire of?

Edited by Chrylestia600
  • Brohoof 6

I also really like him as a recurring character. Unlike some people, I never seem to get tired of him either. I'm always super excited to watch every episode he makes an appearance in, because to me, he just never gets old. He's Discord! What's there about him to tire of?

Same. If Discord is in a episode I already like the episode before I even watched it. As long as they make him interresting. Like "dungeons and discords" or "To where and back". Both episodes where he was really funny to watch.

• Brohoof 3

They were right to reign in his chaotic nature, because his version of chaos made everyone utterly miserable. He would be the only one to enjoy it. Now at least he can share his chaos with others, and everyone (or most) can enjoy it with him. 

Celestia took a risk in freeing Discord, but she likely also knew the alternative would be way worse. Discord would free himself in a thousand years once again, a new generation of "Mane 6" would try to stop Discord once again, and the cycle would repeat itself.

But what if this generation, or the next, would fail in stopping Discord? What if he would defeat them and prevent the Elements from being used? Then the entire world would be at the mercy of an unreformed Spirit of Chaos, and not even the Princesses combined would stand a chance of stopping him.

Edited by JH24

With the exception of Return of Harmony and Dungeons and Discords, the show has wasted Discord as a character

He's an omnipotent reality warper with a prankster streak a mile wide that's being strangled by the likes of the Mane 6

His flirting with Trixie in There and Back Again Part 1 was a breath of fresh air and he was then promptly gagged again

• Brohoof 1

The only alternative would've been The Return Of Harmony 2.0, 3.0, etc. -- which would've only killed the original's charm.

Besides, if Q eventually eased up on his antagonism, then why not Discord -- i.e., his confirmed-by-the-staff Equestrian counterpart?

Edited by A.V.
  • Brohoof 2

Yes, it was a mistake. He has been totally Flanderized. The Discord in Return of Harmony was the only villain they've had with a 3 digit IQ.  The Mane 6 only beat him because he severely underestimated Twilight.

Still, Dungeons & Discord + the S6 finale show hope.  I'd also point out, he is chaotic. He is the essence of change. It's not in him to be good or evil or anything else for long

• Brohoof 1

Problem with Discord is that after he was reformed he had lost a bit of his character and charm. I always like the idea of a ultimate antagonist and Discord represented that chance for the show to finally have a serious and clever threat. Sure, every antagonists does deserve a second chance but I would prefer Discord specifically to remain as-is because he works better in his true nature. Would Discord been better off as stone? Probably not but when he eventually became a prop, gag, joke he had lost in what made him "Discord" in the first place, the Lord of Chaos. His reformation felt forced, like the show had to reform him in order to use him again in the hopes of compensating.

• Brohoof 3

While Discord was great as a villain, there's only so much you can do with him in that role. He's so powerful no pony (or even an Alicorn) in Equestria would be able to stand up to him without the elements. Discord coming back and for the third time being turned into stone would really detract from his character.

Personally I feel it's a good thing Discord was reformed, as it opens up new possibilities. The reformation itself felt a bit forced (although I loved that bit of Discord removing any kind of "reformation" spell and Fluttershy making Discord realize what he was about to loose) but generally I feel they did a good job on it.

The main issue at this point for me personally is that he doesn't have a defined role. He's just "there" at the moment. During the premiere of season 4 he acted like a kind of mentor to Twilight, but they never really continued that in later episodes. I would love episodes that explore more of his character, his nature and his magic, showing him interacting and hanging out with the other Mane 6, or showing there are still some hidden layers of distrust toward him.

But what I really love to see one day is Discord going all out. To have a villain so powerful even Discord would be forced to unleash all of his powers. To see him willing to sacrifice himself to protect his friends would IMHO be the best form of character development for him.

Edited by JH24

Someone's evidently forgotten all about King Sombra.

I agree. He was always 3 steps ahead of the protagonist, with all his traps and dark magic doors, and really, his only fault was not factoring in the possibility that another pony- or dragon- would be there to help out, and somehow, not get trapped too- though Spike did, at some point, but was snapped out of it by a partner. Sombra was brilliant

• Brohoof 1

In short with mane 6 and fluttershy, made him soft and needy.  Unless he with the right person like tixie, mac, spike then that the Discord we know. Discord is more like a neutral, so it depend on who's he with.