Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc Friendship strikes in the Crystal Empire! (SOL/adv, open, drop-in/drop-out)

Raven Rawne

IC thread: https://mlpforums.com/topic/162235-friendship-strikes-in-the-crystal-empire-soladv-open-drop-indrop-out/

Hello and welcome to my newest RP idea! I've noticed that crystal ponies up North recieve very little RP love, and you know what happens when the Empire doesn't get it's fix... Anyway, I've been thinking about cooking up a roleplay in and around said Empire, maybe with occasional trips to other locations. The basic idea is that ponies meet each other and do stuff together, like they would in real life. The possibilities are endless, although I should inform you that I am interested in running an RP set in canon Equestria (just without all those cast characters running around, the OC's live their happy lives in the backgound of main events). The toons themselves are supposed to be canon ponies, so no anthro this time. I probably should mention that alicorn OC's don't do well in close to canon environments, so leave them at home. Batponies would be OK though, if your backstories are sound enough. Other not-really canon races are subject for approval, depending on their backstories and traits.

So, the RP starts somewhere after the Equestrian Games, but before the Crystalling (Princess B52 Flurry Heart is still a WIP between her parents), so the Empire is functioning normally.

Any plot holes about the way the Empire works should be consulted with Equestrian Empire sub-canon (I know this is Everfree, but this stuff just works, ya know?)

Crystal Empire

Crystal Mountains

Now, I'll be rolling with Crystal Clear, who's a native to the Empire. Your OC's could also live there, or travel to pursuit their own agenda, or even be on vacations. Due to the very nature of this RP, it's an open drop in-drop out kind of thing. If your character is on 2 week vacartions, they will go back home eventually and the RP will go on without them. OFC, you could write letters or invite other players to your place for a short time.

I guess it's pretty apparent by now, but I'll say it anyway - this is not a zombie apocalypse where you kill King Sombra and become the God Emperor of Ponykind. OC's can very well have military backgrounds, but there's no war going on. Nopony will stop you from going Yeti hunting though, if that's your thing.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'm rather curious if there will be any interest in this kind of thing though.

Quick rundown of rules and features:

- All Forum rules still apply

- Canon Equestria

- Characters are ponies, not anthro.

- RP takes place in the Crystal Empire, characters can venture outside the city and even invite each other down South, but only for a short time.

- open drop in/drop out - you can have your OC living in the Empire, or visiting temporarily, and leave the RP once they vacate the crystal premises. That being said, players can join at any time, after getting approval of those already in.

- No cast/OC interaction. You can see them in the distance, but that's all. No autographs from Spike the Brave and Glorious, sorry!

- Character interaction shapes the events - your OC's, though interaction, decide what they want to do solo or together. Options include but not limit to: hanging out, going shopping, hitting the books in the library full of ancient lore, going on adventures North, outside the Barrier, hunting monsters of the North (if you have the courage or stupidity, same difference really), sightseeing... whatever you can think of that would work in canon Equestria and won't get you banned for posting.

- Every now and then there will be events, like a new play in the theatre, or the water pumos break down and the entire city will have no running water for 3 days straight (okay, maybe a little exaggeration, but there wil be good and bad stuff happening every now and then to give the characters something new to do or talk about.)

- Player Characters are not "big frakking heroes", but regular citizens. Keep that in mind when you decide to hunt a criminal mastermind, or animate the dead with forbidden magic. Guards don't like it, and they'll toss you to jail. Well, try to at least.

- Expanding on the previous point, for the love of crystals don't touch the Crystal Heart. You'll be swimming in guards before you say "Shiny!". Seriously, messing up with their favourite trinket makes crystal ponies sad.

Edited by Raven Rawne
  • Brohoof 2

I'm half tempted to use my own crystal pony, but I'm more interested in using Ember https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/ember-iron-forge-r9811.

She should be damn canon acceptable in my opinion.

(Good on ya for doing a RP)

• Brohoof 1

I don't see a problem with Ember myself, although she would stand out on the streets for sure. I mean, aside from the unusual tail, she's just a unicorn. If you want her to go sightseeing, then pack your luggage and buy some train tickets!

I'm still not sure if this idea gains any traction, but hey, only one way to find out right?

• Brohoof 1

I guess we should wait for at the very least one more, but since it's an open thing, we can as well start a 1x1 till someone else joins. Do you have any ideas on what she would do in the Empire? Cryssi is a local, so she'll work in her shop, go out shopping at the market, pack up and go cave exploring on weekends, that kind of thing. She can also be found around town making things, like cutting out an extra window in some house.

Ember would be on hoilday but she'd not go past any blacksmithing info to help her in her profession, but I'm ok will general holiday stuff.

• Brohoof 1

Hey, the Empire has a humongus library that holds ancient texts, maybe she is after some ancient blacksmithing lore? The Crystal Mountains are also known as a source of rare ores, but only for the bold and daring who venture outside the Barrier.

Sounds good enough?

• Brohoof 1

Cool, like I said in OP, it's more of a make-your-own-adventure kind of RP, where you meet other ponies and you do stuff together, whatever strikes your fancy really (within reason and Forum rules OFC). So moving on from this starting point, a local pony (hint hint) could help her find the library or something casual like that, and then as they keep meeting on the streets, do something more "advanced".

Give me a heads-up if you're game, and whether you'd like to wait for some more players, or kickstart it as it is.

• Brohoof 1

Updated OP!

Just so you guys could get a better understanding what I'm trying to achieve with this roleplay. C'mon people, the Crystal Empire is a cool place! (especially when the Barrier collapses...)

Is this still open? If so, I would like to submit my ONLY native to the Crystal Empire, Myst Darkmane (The Strange One). Link in sig. He probably won't use his powers (except where he gets glimpses of the world. Why? He's blind).

@@Bomb Sheep,

Well, I'm still waiting for some more players to kickstart this party, but, honestly? I have a hard time thinking how your OC would find a way to interact with other characters in a meaningful way, aside from when they come out of a bar at night maybe. By the look of it, most of the players would be either natives or tourists, most if not all active during the day. While I'm okay with nocturnal characters, I'm at loss at what he would actually do out there. Any ideas to give me a hint?

@@Raven Rawne

Forgot to add this in my OC description, but he can be active during the day, it's just rare for him. He could come on his strolls during the night at around sunset (equestria time) and interact. He just needs a cloak to go out in the day. He could go to a bar, as you mentioned, or visit some people and go around on a stroll. He's not very talkative though...

@@Bomb Sheep,

Alright, so that makes some more sense. Still, how would you like to see his role to be? An ocasional encounter? There will be some things happening every now and then, but for the most part, the players take the initiative to shape their interactions with the world and each other. I'm just afraid your OC will end up wandering the streets on their own for the most of it.

But, if you are confident that you can arrange interactions with the rest of the players, then okay, you're in. Just keep in mind that, just because he knows the Dark Arts, doesn't mean he can use them in public - like I've mentioned in the OP, law enforcement is a thing to keep in mind when doing shady stuff. Plus, since his bio mentions Nightmare Moon, where did he spend the last thousand years? In the cursed Empire?

• Brohoof 1

@@Raven Rawne, yes, he will be an occasional encounter. He might help some people out/go on important business. Also, his bio mentions one of Nightmare Moon's acolytes, not Nightmare Moon herself. Also, as I said above, he will only use his abilities (probably) to glimpse the world.

@@Bomb Sheep,

Alright, if you're okay with the role of a rare Pepe (sorry I just had to...), then I won't stand against it.

We're waiting for @@Pripyat Pony to declare whether they're in, and it would be prudent to ask @@Mentis Soliloquy whether he's still interested. I'd prefer to have some more characters on the start, but I guess we could as well try in a smaller circle. Communication would be the key at first, to lead the toons at each other soon enough.

• Brohoof 1

Alright, so I guess I'll set up an opening post later this week. I already figured out that it could be Summer in the Empire, so that the rest of Equestria would have Winter (see EQE lore for details), which in turn encourages ponies to visit for recreation, on top of any business trips and other reasons.I'm still thinking about fine details, but I guess I'll start the RP on weekend, when the morning train from Canterlot reaches the station. Just so the first batch of newcomers would have a place to start from, if you choose to take that approach, and the locaks won't get bogged down indoors, working.

• Brohoof 2