Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you find Internet communication as fulfilling as Real Life communication?

Ando333

I don't find internet communication as fulfilling as real life communication at all. I love my internet friends, but its hard for me to think of them as "friends" the same way I think of my real life friends. There's just something about talking to someone face-to-face that texting just can't replicate.

• Brohoof 1

No. I truly don't know any of you guys and gals in respect to calling you as a "close friend" and probably never will so there's no genuine connection. I think the best way to say it is be careful of what you write online.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

If i'd be my few years younger self, i'd say without thinking yes. But now, i had to realize, that it is not as good as i thought it is. I'd rather stick to real life communication :/

Edited by Bonbon Feri
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Would say yes though I feel like online communication is typically more wild you feel like talking about anything while offline you have to think more about how it reflects on you. They are equally fulfilling.

100% I do not, beyond being able to hug people there are loads of communication queues through body language and other smaller changes which are only really possible in face to face communication.

Though I must say that quarantine has given me the chance to properly get to know people and work on relationships with people, so I am very grateful for its existence

Definitely no until we find a way to directly connect our brain to a virtual reality, so we can experience full immersion

• Brohoof 1

Not quite. I can actually think before I talk in online conversations which usually prevents me from sounding like an idiot, but it doesn't feel as personal as being physically next to someone.

Yes, but not specifically BECAUSE it’s on the Internet.

What I mean is that I run into a frustrating trend of trying to communicate with people who seem utterly determined to never drop the internet persona they’ve developed.

So many people I talk to seem to be completely unwilling to just have a conversation. Everything they say is either a joke, a quip, or a meme.

Every. Single. Response.

Don’t get me wrong. I LIKE jokes and memes, but when it’s all they do it starts feeling incredibly artificial. Like they’re not even listening to me or care about what’s going on in my life.

It feels like, “Okay, what’s the next funny, quirky thing I can say?? I have to constantly entertain this person or they won’t like me!”

I don’t need a freakin’ court jester. I need some human friends. Just tell me about yourself and your day. What have you got on your mind? I swear I’m not going to immediately lose interest due to meme deprivation.

Internet is better. It is more text and less spitting. :wacko:

Spoiler

I really don't like IRL conversations. They are difficult.

I suppose I find both forms of communication on equal footing. I can have very pleasant experiences with ponies I meet online, and irl. I don't really have very many irl friends, but I can think of plenty of good times I've had with my few irl friends that I do have. The same can be said with the ponies I meet online, especially from this community, I have some very fond memories of my past interactions with ponies here and in other online places like discord. I find them both fulfilling to me, as I'm not somepony who honestly needs a whole lot of social interaction to begin with to be content. Sometimes it is easier for me to have social interactions with the ponies I meet online though, as sometimes my few irl friends are just busy >_>    

It's different. I won't say it's better or worse, there's certain things you can get away with IRL that you can't online, and vice versa. I partake in a fair amount of both however.

It’s easier for me to get to know people online but otherwise real life is much better.

I also find internet friendships more fulfilling when they’re more personal - when I know someone’s name, when I know what they look like, when we can call together, etc. Even online I want my friends to be more than just words on a screen, but most people aren’t really comfortable with that.

Nope but it certainly has its place. Not to mention I have made what I would consider some very good friends using this very site alone! 

• 4 weeks later...

Real life has more body language that i prefer. And u can do more stuff.

That said ppl are usually more honest through text and i have had some quite deep convos.

• 2 weeks later...

In some ways it can be, as it is easier to communicate, but for irl, it is a little bit more expressive, so it is both helpful in its own way

Well, if it wasn't due how dumb people are in my enviroment, I wouldn't be liking internet communication better.

Where I am from, is hell hard to find anyone to talk about most of the things I find interesting. And I'm not even talking about ponies, but almost anything.

For instance, people around here hate rock music and glorify reggaeton, they find science boring, they hate history, are brainwashed pollitically, don't like videogames nor card games, find any sort of animation childish, are obsessed with sex, care more about gossip and sports than any other topics, have no hobbies... and the list goes on.

Being a nerd around here is a nightmare. So most of the times the only interesting communication left is through the internet, just having to be careful not to upset any of the countless snowflakes scattered everywhere.

Of course I have rl friends with interests alike, but they are busy or live at the big city and since I had to move back into boringville I can't get to hang out with them anymore.

• Brohoof 1