Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nervous ticks

Vampira Heart

As I have General Anxiety and have basically had it all my life i've developed multiple compulsive habits when im anxious.

My oldest habit is talking to myself. I had friends growing up but the feeling of being lonely never left me so I developed a habit of talking to myself as there wasnt anyone else to. I would talk to myself about anything but mainly explain things to myself mainly to kill time and calm myself down if im feeling particularly manic. I explain things to myself because im trying to fight emotion with logic and reason as it makes me feel in control of something.

Restless leg syndrome. Its super common and already been posted.

Crack my knuckles.

Dermatillomania - or skin picking. Its a gross habit I admit but has gotten particularly out of control recently as ive had several mental breakdowns from anxiety within the last year and a half so i've sort of let myself do whatever I want to keep myself occupied. I have this habit of feeling around my face, neck and shoulders looking for scabs to peel, pimples to pop and hairs to pull. When(or IF) I find medication that brings my anxiety back to controllable this would be the first habit I would work on eliminating.

Cheek Biting. I'll use my teeth to tear at the inside of my cheeks. And then after I cause some kind of small wound I get motivated to pull at the hanging flesh more. Another gross one but not as obvious.

Sometimes I bite the skin around my nails

Oh I do this too, which is why many of my fingers (mainly the thumbs) look quite terrifying at times.  :D When I get nervous, I tend to pick at my fingers a lot more, but I still also do it spontaneously. It just keeps happening until I accidentally make myself bleed. Biting the inside of my lips is also something I do when I'm nervous - sometimes so much that it kind of stings to eat afterwards.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

When I get nervous, I stutter, I can’t stop touching my face, and I can’t keep decent eye contact. It becomes very obvious when i’m uncomfortable.

Depends on the situation.

If I'm nervous about something happening, like when I graduated for example, I bounce my knee a lot.

If it has to do with a social situation, like I'm in a class for the first time and I don't know anyone, I just sit as still as humanly possible. If you've read the Wings of Fire series by Tui Sutherland, think of Starflight.