Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you think about the inconsistencies

Ando333

I know even the MLP show has inconsistencies. We are talking about a kids/family show, but EG clearly has more inconsistencies than the show.

I don't think the movies are objectively bad for their target, but if you compare them with the show, they are way more inconsistent. They have many plot holes and unfinished developement of the world and characters. They are more commercial movies after all, but I want to know what you think about it.

EG is kind of more realistic since it takes place in a (kind of) human world where magic per se doesn't exist. But EG is also less realistic in many aspects, like suddenly some of the characters growing wings and no one around seems to understand how weird or magical that is. (An example would be the principal from Friendship Games that complains about the enemy team having wings and not caring or realizing of how abnormal that is in the world she lives in).

Sunset Shimmer lived all her life in Equestria, but for some reason after EG1 she decides to live in this parallel world for no apparent reason with people she doesn't know (she never states a reason).

I don't even want to talk about the weird things like the same characters existing in both worlds because even though I dislike it, I understand it would be too much to give deep explanations for that, but I think it was unnecessary to start that way to begin with instead of creating all new characters anyway. It just doesn't seem to make much sense how the mirrowed characters are almost the same when their experiencies in their own worlds are completely different.

And well, the colors. the EG world is not the real world since they have rare skin colors and such. I know this was made to make it easier to recognize the mirrowed characters, but I don't think it was completely necessary. I would maybe accept the hair color even if it's not too realistic, but the skin color is just too much.

I think the messages of the movies are good, but they lack a lot of consistency compared to the show, which makes me don't like them as much as the show, and I want to know how much people feel the same.

Edited by Ando333

The crazy inconsistencies are one of the many reasons why I just have a tough time liking the movies. I have a sorta love/hate relationship with them. They are good fun at times, but they are so sporadic in quality, especially compared to FiM and I hate the setting with a passion.

One of the earliest conflictions I seen was in the first movie. Celestia clearly banished Sunset to an alternate dimension, which that alone is crazy harsh, but then when the rest of the mane 6 want to go with Twilight, she says 'No, that could unbalance things', even though she literally just said she banished someone to that dimension entirely. How is that not unbalancing things exactly? I get it that plot convenience sometimes needs to happen, but the EqG films are full of that stuff. 

I just view EQG as an alternate universe and blame inconsistencies on the fact events have happened slightly differently in Equestria that we never get to see

Such as Pony!Twilight being a good ten/fifteen years younger than she is in the show so she's eligible to even enroll in high school

EQG is basically fanfiction that doesn't even try to adhere to the show it's based off of and characterization is all over the place

Somewhat justified for the Humane Five since they've not had the same development as their Equestrian coutnerparts, but sweet mother of Faust, is the flanderization of Rarity and Pinkie Pie cringe-inducing

All that's ever on their minds is FASHION and PARTIES respectively as of Legend of Everfree

These really don't bother me in most of the movies. There's definitely confusing stuff, like the age differences, and the first movie in particular is incredibly shaky, but I was never bothered by characters' milquetoast reactions to all the magic, for instance, and aside from stuff the films inherited from the original movie, I haven't picked up on much which I'd call "inconsistencies." I don't like Legend of Everfree, but that's not because of any incoherence in its story so much as its tepid humour, timid themes, and cardboard characterization. It's just not something which I'm picking up on while watching the latter three movies, at least most of the time - Friendship Games got away with constantly pulling stuff out of nowhere because I found it entertaining. 

I don't even want to talk about the weird things like the same characters existing in both worlds because even though I dislike it, I understand it would be too much to give deep explanations for that, but I think it was unnecessary to start that way to begin with instead of creating all new characters anyway. It just doesn't seem to make much sense how the mirrowed characters are almost the same when their experiencies in their own worlds are completely different.

It's a mirror world. These exist in fiction all the time. Their experiences aren't exactly the same, but it's not so hard to imagine different lives leading to similar personalities. 

Also: is it just me, or does the Equestria Girls forum tend to fill up with people who don't really like Equestria Girls? Why even check this forum if that's the case? 

Sunset Shimmer lived all her life in Equestria, but for some reason after EG1 she decides to live in this parallel world for no apparent reason with people she doesn't know (she never states a reason).

Wanted to clean up her mess? Was afraid to face Celestia? Wanted a fresh start, which the alternate mane six offered a jump start on? I kinda think those seem like weaker reasons in retrospect given that this was possibly her last opportunity to return home for who knows how long, and she couldn't have known Twilight would figure out how to open the gate later, but they are reasons. 

• 5 weeks later...

My main issue with the movies is the way they treat the magic. They never seem to know what they want to do with it and how to treat its existence, and when they use it its traits are not consistent at all and it's driven me insane trying to find out how it works. In Equestria, magic is magic. Unicorns have a talent for certain spells, or maybe even for a single spell, and more powerful unicorns can use a wider variety of spells, and my headcanon is that Twilight, being the Element of Magic with a cutie mark that is for 'magic', can use every spell, given the chance to study it. How the spells work is irrelevant because, well, magic.

Now, in EQG there shouldn't be any magic at all. Okay, that's fine. Easy to grasp and a logical premise. Except, well, the portal has always been there so at the very least there is some magic there. Then Sunset brings the Element of Magic to the human world and uses its powers to become a demon and enslave the school. A bit weird, but considering she was a fairly powerful unicorn she probably had a way of producing this effect. Twilight manages to use the crown for its intended purpose and they beat demon!Sunset like they beat Nightmare Moon. Still pretty okay.

Then comes RR. Suddenly, playing music makes them transform into their pony forms. Why? How can music possibly have that effect? It wasn't hinted at in EQG and while it's mentioned offhandedly to be weird it's never addressed because as Rainbow Dash said, "Who cares why it happens? It's awesome!" Now, it's very much in character for her to say that, but I had hoped that Twilight would have given at least a token explanation of why their magic worked the way it did. She immediately explained her portal device to her friends, after all, and this was at least as important to the plot.

In FG, the magic now appears when they display their Elements, which at least makes sense. FG is thus far the most logical movie with its magic.

LOE immediately screws this up by giving them secondary powers. Rainbow's speed and Fluttershy's ability to talk to animals are fine, and I guess AJ's strength makes some sense given that she was already very strong anyway, but why can Rarity fire diamonds? Pony Rarity can't even do that. Why can Pinkie Pie make frag grenades out of sprinkles? It makes no sense because their pony selves can't do these things either. I highly doubt Sunset could read minds, given that she was completely surprised about it, and Twilight's levitation is strangely underwhelming since every single unicorn in Equestria can do this.

I sincerely hope that EQG 5 will address this.