Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would YOU punish Starlight Glimmer?

KillerKingBakudan

Here's a different twist to the Cutie Re-Mark for anybody who hates Starlight and felt she didn't get her comeuppance. 

The timeline has been restored. Twilight talks about the entire ordeal with her friends. Starlight comes into the room prepared for whatever punishment they think is fair. And then, when Twilight offers to take her under her wing (no pun intended) and teach her all there is to know about friendship, the royal sisters come crashing in. Celestia more or less says "FUCK THAT! This bitch needs to be punished!", then she creates a magical force field around Starlight to keep her from running.

The Mane Six demand to know what's going on, and that's where you come in. Luna introduces them to you and says you've been given the honor of deciding what punishment Starlight really deserves. Any pony who argues with you or interferes with the pending procedure will be thrown in a dungeon, deep beneath Canterlot Castle, for no less than a week.  

Anything goes. Even death.

What do you do to her?

• Brohoof 1

I've thought about this a bit. The most fitting punishment I can think of is temporary forced removal of HER Cutie Mark for a period of no less than a year, so she can better understand what losing one's most potent and defining characteristic feels like. From there, I say leave her in the custody of the Mane 6 for the interim and after she has had her mark restored, she will be required to remain under the tutelage and custody of Princess Twilight for a period of no less than five years, no chance of parole for good behavior. During that time, she would be required to perform documented community service for the period two days of the week for the duration of a full work shift (9 hours with a lunch break) or face incarceration.

• Brohoof 7

1. When Chrysalis starts force choking Starlight, I would extend that scene into a two-minute recreation of this video:

The Changelings still destroy the throne, but the Queen isn't allowed to leave.

2. In The Cutie Map, I would send Bayonetta to the town of equality. She doesn't have a cutie mark, she tears through the armies of heaven, and she would deem Starlight too dangerous and punch her in the soul from Pluto to the Sun:

3. In The Cutie Remark, I would have Sans from Undertale offer to spare Starlight instead of Twilight, pretend to accept her friendship, then dunk on her like so:

Edited by The MegaBrony
  • Brohoof 1

I won't do anything, because punishing her is the worst option. Twilight reached out to help her because she saw Starlight was in psychological and emotional pain and cried for help. Rather than treat her like a criminal, she treated her as an equal. She promised to help her; punishing her goes back on her word and betrays everything her character stands for. Also, Equestria is a proactive society with different ways of handling criminal activity and civil wrongdoing; none of our sentencing methods fit their way of life.

• Brohoof 12

I won't do anything, because punishing her is the worst option. Twilight reached out to help her because she saw Starlight was in psychological and emotional pain and cried for help. Rather than treat her like a criminal, she treated her as an equal. She promised to help her; punishing her goes back on her word and betrays everything her character stands for. Also, Equestria is a proactive society with different ways of handling criminal activity and civil wrongdoing; none of our sentencing methods fit their way of life.

I actually agree, but told that a punishment must occur, and given the decision, I tried to think of a punishment harsh enough to be taken seriously, but lenient enough to create a decent chance at actual reformation. Besides, I wouldn't want to make Sun Butt decide that she'd just vaporize the poor mare instead.

• Brohoof 2

I would realize that it's probably just a test by Celestia and wouldn't punish her.  And if Celestia really did become that ruthless, I'd make sure every pony in Equestria knew about it.  But again, I don't think she would really do that outside of it being some sort of test.

• Brohoof 4

I would realize that it's probably just a test by Celestia and wouldn't punish her.  And if Celestia really did become that ruthless, I'd make sure every pony in Equestria knew about it.  But again, I don't think she would really do that outside of it being some sort of test.

I hadn't thought of that, personally... It would be interesting if we were the ones being tested, to see if we had enough compassion to see that punishing her wouldn't be the best idea.

• Brohoof 2

Oh thats  easy... first id put her in a gimp suit, get ariding crop and... oh, not THAT type of punish... FINE... you're no fun.

Well since magic is kind of a thing in equestria, why not go for a bit of psychological torture?... Create a spell that puts  her in the hooves of one pony that would have been drastically affected by her actions.... Make her live and relive the horror that she would have created in the point of view of another....

• Brohoof 2

I won't do anything, because punishing her is the worst option.

The fandom doesn't seem to think so. If she got punished in the show, I think people would hate her a bit less.

You'd know if it was a test as soon as any of the Mane Six stood up to her. If Celestia doesn't send them to a dungeon, and possibly beat the shit out of them for getting out of line, then yeah, it's pretty much a giveaway.

• Brohoof 2

I've thought about this a bit. The most fitting punishment I can think of is temporary forced removal of HER Cutie Mark for a period of no less than a year, so she can better understand what losing one's most potent and defining characteristic feels like. From there, I say leave her in the custody of the Mane 6 for the interim and after she has had her mark restored, she will be required to remain under the tutelage and custody of Princess Twilight for a period of no less than five years, no chance of parole for good behavior. During that time, she would be required to perform documented community service for the period two days of the week for the duration of a full work shift (9 hours with a lunch break) or face incarceration.

I like it.  When someone shows a willingness to change, punishing them just for its own sake (i.e. punishing them simply because they "deserve it") makes no sense.  It won't solve or help anything.  If rehabilitation is possible, then the actions taken going forward should be as constructive as possible, not locking Starlight up and torturing her as a form of comeuppance.  That said, I'm not advocating that if a criminal is simply sorry, that they needn't face consequences.  Responsibility and accountability are important, and one must take steps to right their wrongs.  That's why I like this idea of community service.  Taking away (or rather suppressing) Starlight's cutie mark is an interesting idea, and I believe it could have positive ramifications, as it might well give her a more understanding and compassionate perspective going forward.  Beating her up, on the other hoof, wouldn't.  (Just to throw out an example of a punishment purely because she "deserves it.)

This is a very good point as well.  This makes a lot of sense.  Starlight did need help, not punishment.  But like I said, ponies (and people), need to be responsible for their actions, too.  Now, in this case, I guess there were technically no consequences, since it was a temporal story, but I think it was fitting that she returned to her village to apologize.  I think she would have been better received by the fandom had she stayed at her village for awhile and helped out in order to make amends and atone for her actions.  Kinda the same thing with Diamond Tiara.  They should have shown her doing something more to make up for all the years of bullying and pain she caused others.  This show could do a better job at that kinda thing sometimes.

• Brohoof 4

I wouldn't punish her too severely considering she was scarred upon seeing the seventh and final altered time line where everything was completely destroyed, but then she wouldn't get off with a slap on the hoof either. I'd say making her do 500 hours of community service without the use of her magic would be suitable enough.

• Brohoof 1

I like it.  When someone shows a willingness to change, punishing them just for its own sake (i.e. punishing them simply because they "deserve it") makes no sense.  It won't solve or help anything.  If rehabilitation is possible, then the actions taken going forward should be as constructive as possible, not locking Starlight up and torturing her as a form of comeuppance.  That said, I'm not advocating that if a criminal is simply sorry, that they needn't face consequences.  Responsibility and accountability are important, and one must take steps to right their wrongs.  That's why I like this idea of community service.  Taking away (or rather suppressing) Starlight's cutie mark is an interesting idea, and I believe it could have positive ramifications, as it might well give her a more understanding and compassionate perspective going forward.  Beating her up, on the other hoof, wouldn't.  (Just to throw out an example of a punishment purely because she "deserves it.)

I agree. Punishment as an aid for rehabilitation seems to be to be the most fitting form of punishment, if there needs be one. Gun (or in this case, horn) to my head, this is the route I would take. I believe in a stern, but fair punishment. Starlight would still have personal freedoms during the interim, but with Twilight acting more or less as a parole officer, checking up on her every now and again. I understand that it could be seen as a bit harsh... however, compared to the way that the human justice system works, I think this is a much more moderate and fair compromise.

It gives Starlight the chance to see her own magic from the receiving end, and earn a little empathy for those in her village, and she will still have the ability to move about freely within the confines decided on by Twilight. The community service would, I would hope, as I would leave the services performed each day to Twilight's direction and administration, help her see how working together with others of varying talents and skills can be a benefit. Twilight of course would still be encouraged to teach the mare about friendship, and in time, I would hope that Starlight's character would evolve, given time. Now, I might have pushed the time limit on each punishment a little far, but I do believe that evoking some form of empathy from Starlight by having her first see what she had done and second by making her help other ponies with her own hooves, would be for her benefit, not just some form of punishment for punishment's sake.

• Brohoof 4

I'm one who likes to add details about torture, but since the forums doesn't allow it, I'm not going to. So basically, yeah, torture. A good day of torture would suffice, not enough to drive her to insanity.

First, make her work in hard labour for six months or one year, mining gems with Diamond Dogs.

Then after that, film her in many embarrassing scenarios, such as getting tickled, being Twilight's maid for a month, being given to a dysfunctional human family for a week, and showing her horrible videos of cringeworthy stunts and fails to drive her mad. And then film her again in all of her insanity as a birthday present to Rarity. And then make her Rarity's slave.

sig-4790591.1287876.png

~chu~

Well, you are asking a draconequus after all. How very fitting.

Well now, you know the old adage "Let the punishment fit the crime!" What Starlight is primarily guilty of, is enforcing her will on others. Manipulating them to her own short-sighted agenda. It's not enough to simply be taught her wrongdoings or learn new lessons. No, that can potentially be faked or have those lessons forgotten or reneged upon. She wanted to control others, therefore to make her "taste her own medicine", she must be fully under the control & confinement of another. To not make a move, decision or even thought without the presence of her captor.  I shall take it upon myself to enact as such; I shalt be on her tighter then a straight-jacket.

I sentence Starlight Glimmer for her crimes a-gain-st ponykind ...

To two straight weeks of continuous, unrelenting hugs!

...what? That's tame, you say? What, is having to live your entire life knowing that you once went so mad as to start a cult & try to alter time itself to the point of destroying the world several times over not enough to crush a body's spirit? You think she's happy knowing that she's been a monster?

Death. Not only for Starlight, but also for Discord. Tirek? Death. Chrysalis? Death. Don't play around. Reap the scum from this planet.

Luna? Death after the fact for treason.

:orly:

Edited by Swifty

I have to agree with everyone who has been saying for Starlight to have her own cutie mark removed as punishment for her actions.

Not only would it involve her not getting scott free for her actions, and having everything handed to her on a silver platter, like she did all season long, but it would combine punishment with rehabilitation.

She would essentially have to work for the good will that Twilight and the rest of the mane 6 gave her.

Twilight would still be in the care of teaching Starlight about friendship, but would only be willing to give Starlight her (insanely overpowered) magic back when she is confident that it wouldn't be used for nefarious purposes.

Plus this could carry out the whole "Starlight doesn't know how to handle situations without using powerful magic" character flaw, that fans of her enjoy, without her constantly making the same mistake over and over again, and never getting called out, or addressed for it.

I am looking at you Every Little Thing She Does.

with...struggle snuggle :D
or, one year for each pony she stole a cutie mark of, and 10 for each future she destroyed.
wait, scrap that first one, she didn't kill anyone, so one month for each taken cutie mark.
and 1 year each for each future actually, because in the end, they was all avoided.
can't have best Glimglam gone for too either.

• Brohoof 1