Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How would YOU punish Starlight Glimmer?

KillerKingBakudan

I wouldn't. There are not piles of dead laying in the streets or smouldering buildings to mark her passing.... all the ponies she wronged already passed judgement on her and forgave her and went on with their lives. It is amazing no one else can.

So how do you take it if you don't know it?

Sandpaper.

It works for tattoos.

• Brohoof 1

One batch, two batch, penny and dime.

Warp in ponies from all afflicted alternate timelines to serve as her jury. The prosecutor would propose a standard punishment where an equal price should be paid for the effect of powerful magic. Thus, Starlight would have to gain all her memories from alternate timelines and lose a decade of her own timeline for each activation of the scroll as is in accordance with the aforementioned law. Suffice to say, I have much confidence in the jury's ability to reach a verdict that is not in favor of pure rehabilitation.

Did you just quote Frank Castle with that first line? Edited by Chrylestia600

I don't see why punishment is needed.

Its like spanking a kid, that doesn't know why they are being spanked, it just wouldn't work, you need to explain it to them why its wrong, then if she gets it, genuinely and cares and wants to make it up, punishment is just a fantasy to appease the masses. It would only make her resentful and worse, irl criminals that don't get rehabilitated are usually destined for life to repeat the crimes they commit, for the less educated criminals at least.

So I would force her to do charity work, without using magic at all. This would actually build character lol, and teach her magic isn't the solution to all her problems. Also it teaches her to understand other's, which is a problem she has.

Make it so no one trusts her. She needs obstacles to overcome, so when she happens to change someone's mind(legitimately, no BS mind control), she'd feel like she actually earned something

• Brohoof 2

The fandom doesn't seem to think so. If she got punished in the show, I think people would hate her a bit less.

You'd know if it was a test as soon as any of the Mane Six stood up to her. If Celestia doesn't send them to a dungeon, and possibly beat the shit out of them for getting out of line, then yeah, it's pretty much a giveaway.

I seriously doubt she would do that.  Celestia isn't some kind of tyrant.

But if she DID send them to a dungeon, it would show that she shouldn't be in charge anymore (Celestia sends the Princess of Friendship to prison for defending a new friend of hers; wouldn't go over very well with the general public).  Actually, that would make an interesting plotline.  Celestia turns evil and then they have to stop her, and maybe Luna has to fight against her.  That would be an awesome reversal, and a way to bring the show full circle.

I wouldn't. There are not piles of dead laying in the streets or smouldering buildings to mark her passing.... all the ponies she wronged already passed judgement on her and forgave her and went on with their lives. It is amazing no one else can.

Yeah, I know.  It seems like everyone is interested in revenge over anything else.  I wonder if they would feel the same way if it were members of the mane six that did all that.  Based on posts I've seen here and on other topics, I seriously doubt it.

Edited by SBaby

honestly, i would punish her by giving her hugs and tell her i forgive her a bunch of times. I would never try to be hard on her even if you convince her to be on the good side.

Yeah, I know.  It seems like everyone is interested in revenge over anything else.  I wonder if they would feel the same way if it were members of the mane six that did all that.  Based on posts I've seen here and on other topics, I seriously doubt it.

I can't speak for everyone else, but my punishment is more meant as a semi-harsh lesson than as anything relating to revenge. I don't believe punishment would be the appropriate response, but as a thought experiment, I tried to come up with something that would be taken seriously, but also allow the mare some room for redemption by paying her dues. 

Would I actually want to do it? Oh, heavens no. I also don't get the hate on Starlight, other than perhaps her stealing the limelight (still waiting for a pony named... *one Google search later* ...I'll be damned) from the Mane Six. While this is best reserved for a different thread, I will say that the trend of people riding her because she took up precious screen time somepony else could have is getting tired for me. I'm indifferent to her, but I don't think he screen time has been wasted for the most part.

The thing is, I think that Starlight's current situation is almost ideal for her in the grand scheme. She is constantly chaperoned by ponies who either ARE Twilight Sparkle, her friends, or someone who has learned from Twilight firsthoof. There are no ponies better to set her on the right path. Despite certain... hiccups in her learning *cough*EveryLittleThingSheDoes*cough*, she has progressed, and I think she is on the right path.

It's really weird how all of you people want Starlight to get punished by taking away her cutie mark when she is LITERALLY the only pony that knows that cutie mark removal spell in the first place. So how do you take it if you don't know it?

Well early on in the season 3 Premiere, Twilight observes Celestia using a form of dark magic, that later on she uses to unlock the way to the stairs to get to the crystal heart at a further part in the episode.

So I assume that Twilight is a fast learner when it comes to magic, and so she would probably be able to cast a similar spell on Starlight given that she has witnessed it in action, and has felt it's own effects on herself.

I seriously doubt she would do that.  Celestia isn't some kind of tyrant.

But if she DID send them to a dungeon, it would show that she shouldn't be in charge anymore (Celestia sends the Princess of Friendship to prison for defending a new friend of hers; wouldn't go over very well with the general public).  Actually, that would make an interesting plotline.  Celestia turns evil and then they have to stop her, and maybe Luna has to fight against her.  That would be an awesome reversal, and a way to bring the show full circle.

Given people's reactions to Rainbow Dash in Tanks for the Memories, it isn't just Starlight that is given this same kind of criticism.

Given people's reactions to Rainbow Dash in Tanks for the Memories, it isn't just Starlight that is given this same kind of criticism.

Believe me, the criticism Rainbow Dash was given regarding that episode is a drop in the ocean of what's been said about Starlight.

But it's like I said before.  Everyone seems to be more interested in revenge than anything else.

Edited by SBaby

Tovarish Starlight Glimmer is to be spending a minimum of 20 years in Yakyakistan gulag for failings in establishment of glorious Equestrian Sovetskaya Sotsialisticheskaya Respublika.

• Brohoof 1

I actually kind of like Starlight, but if a dangerous sociopath with high magic skill nearly caused several dystopias, one of which involved all life on the planet being extinguished, and nearly prevented me from meeting my good friends over some petty vendetta against cutie marks, I'd probably have them thrown in Tartarus, or at least locked in a cell somewhere with a magic suppressing bubble surrounding it. Yes, she's still a sociopath if she thinks the best way to deal with disagreements with friends is to use mind control and that just further proves my point that letting somepony that dangerous stay in the castle wasn't Twilight's best idea. Maybe the lesson is that sociopaths should be embraced because maybe one day they will save your life from a far more dangerous adversary. At least Starlight has a lot of potential for character growth, and I do enjoy her episodes, so there's that.

• Brohoof 2

I will punish her by having her do hard labor community service her community and elsewhere for 10 years. Justice will not go easy for those who break the law. 

the only thing I could think of is limiting her power and giving it back in pieces slowly as she learns to be good and a good friend. she can have basic unicorn levitating power to start.... kinda like the first Assassin's Creed game where Altair is stripped of his rank and gear and is given them back after completion of a large task. so similar to that I think is what she deserved. 

Also maybe some supervision by Celestia herself would but Starlight in her place. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

the only thing I could think of is limiting her power and giving it back in pieces slowly as she learns to be good and a good friend. she can have basic unicorn levitating power to start.... kinda like the first Assassin's Creed game where Altair is stripped of his rank and gear and is given them back after completion of a large task. so similar to that I think is what she deserved. 

Also maybe some supervision by Celestia herself would but Starlight in her place. 

Rehabilitation is the best "Punishment". Look what happened when she was immediately trusted with magic XD

• Brohoof 1

On 1/27/2017 at 5:23 AM, StormBlaze said:

On 2/9/2017 at 7:47 PM, Vlazamal said:

Rehabilitation is the best "Punishment". Look what happened when she was immediately trusted with magic XD

Big Smoke (Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas): "All we had to do, was rehab the damn Unicorn, CJ!"

Edited by Antagonist

• 1 month later...

The last one was moderately u understandable based on her injustices toward Equestria. Some of you on the other hand may just be petty vindictive sociopaths that put your blinders on once the show is over. lol

• Brohoof 1