Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mike Vogel not returning for S7.

CastletonSnob

Surprised that he wasn't able to write any episodes for season seven, but at least he's still doing something related to MLP--the movie in this case--so he's not done with the brand.

• Brohoof 1

Well fuck. on one hand, he royally screwed up with Starlight with ELTSD and the finale was kind of pants, on the other he also wrote HWT which I still maintain is both the best Starlight and best holiday episode in the show as well as writing the only Rainbow Dash solo episode of the season that wasn't a huge middle finger

I'm so conflicted

Edited by Travis Touchdown
  • Brohoof 2

Looking for info on Mike turned up an actor by the name of "MIke Vogel" who isn't the "Michael Vogel" you were talking about.
Didn't know either of them, but I did learn that evidently the movie being produced is being aided by Lionsgate.
LG's made some pretty neat stuff before, and because of that, I'm now curious how the movie will be o3o

With Vogel working on the movie, perhaps.... do you think Meghan might not be working on the movie much anymore since she's pretty much done with writing by now? Maybe Meghan's coming back on the show!

This movie's taking a lot of people to work on, huh? Always kind of a miracle that films even get made when you think about it. Throws what I expected about him running season 7 in the can, though.

Another writer working on the movie? Are Meghan McCarthy and M.A. Larson not enough? Isn't the movie done, or are they still in post-production and finalizing everything before it's released?

Oh no, Sad to see him not returning for Season 7.

but Even without Him, Season 7 will still be Great!

Don't be so sure. Compared to seasons 4 and 5, season 6 was very mediocre. It wasn't a bad season, it's just none of the episodes made any effort to stand out like the aforementioned seasons.

Well fuck. on one hand, he royally screwed up with Starlight with ELTSD and the finale was kind of pants, on the other he also wrote HWT which I still maintain is both the best Starlight and best holiday episode in the show as well as writing the only Rainbow Dash solo episode of the season that wasn't a huge middle finger

I'm so conflicted

I don't get what the big deal is with people hating on "Newbie Dash" and "28 Pranks Later." I thought these were both great Rainbow Dash episodes.

With Vogel working on the movie, perhaps.... do you think Meghan might not be working on the movie much anymore since she's pretty much done with writing by now? Maybe Meghan's coming back on the show!

No, that mean Meghan was busy with the movie in 2015 when Vogel was writing the script for S6.

And then, BOTH Meghan and Vogel were busy in 2016 and they coudn't write for S7.

However, the movie is almost finished, and they BOTH might write the episode scripts for S8 RIGHT NOW! So it can be released in 2018 after the movie

Michael Vogel took part in 7 episodes:

"A Hearth's Warming Tail"

A Christmal Carol episode. Uninspired as ****, but hey, it has Luna in it with a new singer.

"Spice Up Your Life"

Mediocre. Just mediocre.

"Stranger Than Fan Fiction"

Boring with lame jokes and pop culture references. Maybe it's Josh Haber's fault, though.

"The Cart Before the Ponies"

A CMC train wreck

"The Times They Are a Changeling"

This was okay, excluded the abysmal ending. And there he shares this episode with two other guys. So who can know that it's Vogel who should take the praise?

"Viva Las Pegasus"

Again. He shares this episode with the same two guys, Kevin Burke and Chris Wyatt. The episode is okay again, but i start to believe that it's because of Burke's and Wyatt's effort.

"Every Little Thing She Does"

Finally, Vogel is doing something on his own again. And look, it's one of the most controversial episodes this season. Perhaps it's the most.

I don't understand the big grief of some people. :maud:

i just noticed he took part in the finale with Josh Haber. Not sure if that makes things better or worse...

Edited by Swifty

I didn't even really dislike season 6, but it wasn't one of my favorite seasons.

With news like this and the last writer from the first few seasons to leave to work on either other projects, or the movie, who are we left with to work on season 7?

I am not dreading season 7, and I will check it out, but so far I am much more interested in the movie, and the EQG specials.

"A Hearth's Warming Tail"

A Christmal Carol episode. Uninspired as ****, but hey, it has Luna in it with a new singer.

"Spice Up Your Life"

Mediocre. Just mediocre.

"Stranger Than Fan Fiction"

Boring with lame jokes and pop culture references. Maybe it's Josh Haber's fault, though.

"The Times They Are a Changeling"

This was okay, excluded the abysmal ending. And there he shares this episode with two other guys. So who can know that it's Vogel who should take the praise?

"Viva Las Pegasus"

Again. He shares this episode with the same two guys, Kevin Burke and Chris Wyatt. The episode is okay again, but i start to believe that it's because of Burke's and Wyatt's effort.

i just noticed he took part in the finale with Josh Haber. Not sure if that makes things better or worse...

I really like all those episodes, so hopefully that explains my disappointment.

Don't be so sure. Compared to seasons 4 and 5, season 6 was very mediocre. It wasn't a bad season, it's just none of the episodes made any effort to stand out like the aforementioned seasons.

I actually liked season 6 more than the prior two seasons by a fair margin, although the absence of two of its best writers is awfully concerning. Still hoping season 7 continues with the strong direction.

I don't get what the big deal is with people hating on "Newbie Dash" and "28 Pranks Later." I thought these were both great Rainbow Dash episodes.

"Newbie Dash" is severely underrated; I wish it expressed her best qualities too, but it explores her with meaningful depth and somehow manages to wring emotion and pathos out of something which would realistically just be a meeting and a slightly embarrassing first day.

I also like "28 Pranks Later," but it doesn't depict Rainbow very well; I was under the impression that she was much more sensitive by this point, so pranking Fluttershy(!) of all ponies seems off base for her.

I'm sorry for Mike Vogel that he's not working for the 7th season, however he's working on the movie instead. The 7th​ season will 'still' be great season.

I actually liked season 6 more than the prior two seasons by a fair margin, although the absence of two of its best writers is awfully concerning. Still hoping season 7 continues with the strong direction.

Admittedly, I liked season 6 as well, but none of the episodes left a lasting impression on me. None of them really had that "wow!" factor that episodes from the previous two seasons did. I mean, "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" was so good that I actually stood up and applauded at the end of it. Still looking forward to season 7. Season 6 was by no means a bad season. It's just that most of the episodes came off as mediocre.

"Newbie Dash" is severely underrated; I wish it expressed her best qualities too, but it explores her with meaningful depth and somehow manages to wring emotion and pathos out of something which would realistically just be a meeting and a slightly embarrassing first day.

I also like "28 Pranks Later," but it doesn't depict Rainbow very well; I was under the impression that she was much more sensitive by this point, so pranking Fluttershy(!) of all ponies seems off base for her.

Agreed that "Newbie Dash" is severely underrated. As for Rainbow Dash pranking Fluttershy, consider all of the character development she's received over the past four seasons (even if it got reconned for an episode like in "Scare Master"). Given how much Fluttershy has grown as a character, Rainbow Dash obviously thought that Fluttershy could handle it. At least it was tame compared to some of the others she pulled. (Who the hell puts a brick in someone's sandwich!?) At the very least Rainbow Dash is completely at fault here. She was the one who took her friends' words the wrong way. Even Twilight says, "I don't think she understood what we meant." Rainbow Dash deserved what happened to her. Edited by Smitty1038

Admittedly, I liked season 6 as well, but none of the episodes left a lasting impression on me. None of them really had that "wow!" factor that episodes from the previous two seasons did. I mean, "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" was so good that I actually stood up and applauded at the end of it. Still looking forward to season 7. Season 6 was by no means a bad season. It's just that most of the episodes came off as mediocre.

I appear to be one of the few people who didn't get that "wow" factor from season 4, and season 5 genuinely annoyed me on quite a few occasions; meanwhile, I had a lot of fun with season 6, and can name a good few episodes which really did wow me. I mean, "A Hearth's Warming Tale" alone raised the bar significantly,

As for Rainbow Dash pranking Fluttershy, consider all of the character development she's received over the past four seasons (even if it got reconned for an episode like in "Scare Master"). Given how much Fluttershy has grown as a character, Rainbow Dash obviously thought that Fluttershy could handle it. At least it was tame compared to some of the others she pulled. (Who the hell puts a brick in someone's sandwich!?) At the very least Rainbow Dash is completely at fault here. She was the one who took her friends' words the wrong way. Even Twilight says, "I don't think she understood what we meant." Rainbow Dash deserved what happened to her.

I have no issue with Twilight's friends scaring Rainbow to teach her a lesson, but she doesn't express a whole lot of guilt over the Fluttershy thing or ever really show that she's thinking about anyone but herself, as far as the Pranks are concerned. Which is the point, but I'm not sure that I believe she would act that way at this time.

• 4 weeks later...

I appear to be one of the few people who didn't get that "wow" factor from season 4, and season 5 genuinely annoyed me on quite a few occasions; meanwhile, I had a lot of fun with season 6, and can name a good few episodes which really did wow me. I mean, "A Hearth's Warming Tale" alone raised the bar significantly,

I, for the life of me, cannot understand why so many people liked season four and praise it to the high heaven's. If you were ask me, season five was the best season. At least it didn't have plot holes and didn't get derailed by the writers trying to tell a season-long story arc, which they miserably failed at. Like I said, none of the episodes from season six wowed me. And how exactly did "A Hearth's Warming Tail" "raise the bar?" All it did was tell a story we've heard a million times before (they even did this two seasons ago in "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils") with "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" thrown in for good measure. I'm not saying this was a bad episode; in fact, it was one of the better episodes of season six, but I just can't see your reasoning here.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand why so many people liked season four and praise it to the high heaven's. If you were ask me, season five was the best season. At least it didn't have plot holes and didn't get derailed by the writers trying to tell a season-long story arc, which they miserably failed at. Like I said, none of the episodes from season six wowed me. And how exactly did "A Hearth's Warming Tail" "raise the bar?" All it did was tell a story we've heard a million times before (they even did this two seasons ago in "For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils") with "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" thrown in for good measure. I'm not saying this was a bad episode; in fact, it was one of the better episodes of season six, but I just can't see your reasoning here.

Don't really remember why I said that; I think "raise the bar" might be an overstatement, even though "A Hearth's Warming Tale" is one of my favourite episodes of the whole show. I do think that its songs and visuals are easily among the show's best, but mostly I just liked the internal conflict of Snowfall Frost, which I really did think was notably different from the original story; I feel that her attempts to end Christmas for the supposed good of everyone makes the story significantly different - Snowfall isn't greedy, and there's no moral related to money in there at all. Add in the way the story is embellished with MLP's own Windigo myth, and it raises the stakes dramatically while also more or less changing the meaning of it. Snowfall still learns about the importance of compassion and Christmas, but because she's coming from a different place, I think that changes the meaning of the story, and emotionally I just get a lot out of that. I really don't think "telling a story we've already heard" is all the episode does. 

As for S4... "plot holes" aren't really what bothered me about it, though their supposed running story really doesn't amount to much. Rather, I just think that it loses a lot of the novelty of the first three seasons, and I feel like it doesn't have any fresh takes on the main characters. I like season 5 even less, though. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" is pretty great (though not one of my all-time favourites), but at least half of that season I find frustrating at best. I like season 2 the most; season 6 has issues but it's probably the closest the show has come since season 3 to consistently exciting or entertaining me. 

Shame. I just recently learned that he ship FLutterCord and probably added their teasing in S6 finale. It look like there will be less shipping in S7 since both Mike and Meghan are absent.

Shame. I just recently learned that he ship FLutterCord and probably added their teasing in S6 finale. It look like there will be less shipping in S7 since both Mike and Meghan are absent.

There is a synopsis of an upcoming book about Discord being a "family" with Fluttershy, i hope it will happen in the show. I dont know what "family" mean in that synopsis, because there many kind of family. Father-daughter? Nope. Grandpa-grand daughter? Lame. Lovers!? Plz yes, i want it so bad. ;3 i want to canonized Bride of Discord ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As for S4... "plot holes" aren't really what bothered me about it, though their supposed running story really doesn't amount to much. Rather, I just think that it loses a lot of the novelty of the first three seasons, and I feel like it doesn't have any fresh takes on the main characters. I like season 5 even less, though. "Crusaders of the Lost Mark" is pretty great (though not one of my all-time favourites), but at least half of that season I find frustrating at best. I like season 2 the most; season 6 has issues but it's probably the closest the show has come since season 3 to consistently exciting or entertaining me.

I personally hated season two (worst season ever in my book). At least with seasons 3-6, you got the sense that they were building up to something. Season 2 didn't have that. It was all filler. Nothing but filler from beginning to end. That, and it had what I consider to be the worst premiere and finale of the entire show.

I personally hated season two (worst season ever in my book). At least with seasons 3-6, you got the sense that they were building up to something. Season 2 didn't have that. It was all filler. Nothing but filler from beginning to end. That, and it had what I consider to be the worst premiere and finale of the entire show.

Honestly, I think the fact that there's the skeleton of a running plot makes season 4 especially feel more filler-ish to me, because all the stale episodes in the middle feel like they're wasting time before the next plot beat. Not that the season plotline is more than a broad collection of motifs and themes, and it's only 6 out of 24 episodes, so I think people exaggerate how connected season 4 was. 

On the other hand, I rather like that season 2 is largely disconnected, especially since I think more than half of those episodes expand on their focus character. I like it when this show focuses on characterization above all, and that season just felt fresher and funnier to me than any of the others. 

Lets see what Vogal has done shall we? 

looking at the list of mlp episodes, it seems like he's only listed for season 6 episodes. Which already doesn't bode well for my opinion on his work since season 6 was mediocre trash. 

But hey! Maybe he wrote some of the better episodes that happened in season 6! There were a few of them. 

Lets see....

A hearts Warming Tale: A rehash of a Christmas carol that every show's done when they've ran out of ideas. Only vaguely good bits were some animation and songs, and he probably wasn't involved with those.

Spice Up Your Life: A forgettable episode ragging on a straw-mare of critics because they just don't know anything. Oh goody. 

Stranger than fanfiction: LOT's of annoying arguing, but had some funny moments scattered here and there. Also I like Daring Do so that's a bit of a plus but not by much. 

Cart before the Ponies: The episode where the adult mane six decide to be pig headed dumb asses for nearly a half hour because plot.

Times they are a changeling: I'll give him a pass on that one, like a C+,  cause I actually like Thorax as a concept. 

Viva Los Pegasus: Also a fairly tolerable one, but not great. C+ 

Every little Thing she does: Oh the episode where Starlight shows herself to be a complete and utter sociopath mind controlling her friends and gets almost no repressions for it? Interesting. 

and the finales where yet another thing was reformed, thus lowering the potential stakes of the show even further... 

Honestly seeing THAT resume I'm more upset that hes working on the movie than I am him not writing for the show.