Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

is Spike the most powerful character?

ManaMinori

As much as I really admire and respect him, I wouldn't go out of the way saying "he's the most powerful character", I mean he has powerful friends though - he's friends with every Equestrian princess, a Dragon Lord, and a Changeling King. So most powerful by most powerful influence? Then yes, that would true! But powerful physically, or magically? No, I wouldn't go that far. He's just a dragon, and not a very strong one yet, but he is smarter than the average dragon, and the average filly / colt. But he really ain't all that powerful. I'm sure gemstone's magic would protect it from being eaten.

I completely disagree with the people who think him useless though. If he's useless, why is he there? Twilight NEEDS him, and he's pretty much a voice of reason (even though barely listened to, but hey there needs to be a plot conflict somewhere). He's got so much potential worth exploring that's not yet revealed, but it will! Season 6 was a great start for him! Proves he's independent, and has a life outside of the Mane Six! Good, I'd like to see him with his own group of friends more. Just wait till Scorpan comes! Then we'll be seeing alot of Spike in action! Until then, he's off to a great start!

Comic relief too.
Atleast he was decent in Goblet of Fire, for once.

Comic relief? That position goes to Pinkie! :P Element of Lolness? Remember?

• 4 years later...

If I am not mistaken, Dragons are in fact, the most powerful creatures in mythology. But I always felt that MLP franchise nerfed the dragons and buffed the ponies. FYI, actual unicorns in mythology don't cast spells like a wizard with their magic. But actual dragons in mythology all over the world literally shape their surroundings and destroy anything if they wish to. Both dragons and unicorns are magical creatures with one's magic relating to goodness and healing while the other destruction, power and hunger. Likewise, MLP did have some lines pointing to the power of dragons. Such as when Applebloom said "You can't out fight a dragon" or when Garble threatened to burn down Equestria if he became the Dragon lord. Notable yet well known facts about dragons is they have nigh-invulnerability to magic with scales that can't be pierced, and of course, fire breath which is more powerful that the strongest spells that can wipe out cities in a flash. So yeah, If Spike was ever fully grown (which is not gonna happen till like a century later due to Dragons' longevity and slow maturity) he'll be more powerful than an alicorn I daresay.