Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Where do the lies stop?! Lyra and Bonbon and The Mares from S.M.I.L.E.

ManaMinori

so...according to a book by G.M. Berrow called, “Lyra and Bon Bon and the mares from S.M.I.L.E”, the 100th episode “Slice of Life”, and Bon Bon being a secret spy, working for S.M.I.L.E isn't a bunch of hooplah, and there have also been cover-ups by the Equestrian Government (who the secret agents work for), since Nightmare Moon.

A quote by one of the S.M.I.L.E agents from the book, states this: “Breezies were a cover-up. Tirek was a cover-up. Don't even get me started on the escape-from-the-moon thing with Princess Luna. At least that one worked out pretty well.”

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but this sends alarm bells off instantly, and makes me wonder, “what ISN'T a cover up”, from what we've seen across the show's entire 6 seasons? How long have these cover-ups been “covered up”? Do they predate Nightmare Moon? Why does Sunbutt feel the need to hide whatever information is being covered up from the population of Equestria? Being a mother figure, you'd think she be honest with her subjects and expose the truth, but why isn't she? Lying and staging cover-ups, for whatever reason, only leads to mistrust and broken relationships? How could Equestria have been in a state of peace for so long, with these cover-ups? Or is the fact that whatever information is being covered up, the very cause for the state of instability and attacks that have been plaguing Equestria since the bearers of harmony were chosen by the tree?  

• Brohoof 1

I think it's for the better. Imagine the mass panic and hysteria if everypony knew something was going wrong with the world like every other week xp

they can't be kept in the dark forever, though. A lie has got to be brought into the light eventually, and when it does, how do you think everypony in Equestria will feel about their "beloved and revered" rulers, then? And besides, as least as far as ponyville is concerned, these incidents- Nightmare Moon, Tirek, Discord, the Breezies, the Bugbear, and Starswirl knows what else- have happened, cover-ups to something else or not. And their lives are still going on as normal. If the truth was revealed about these occurrences being coverups to something bigger- whatever it may be- then at least they would be informed. Would it make any real difference than how they reacted to all these coverups? Who knows? Would they revolt against the royal sisters, for hiding this critical info from them, and staging false information? Maybe? But again, we can't really say. 

One thing I DO know is that lying- as seen in "Where the Apple Lies", and "Leap of Faith" WILL get exposed in due time, and are harmful to those being lied to- even if it's for their own protection.

I think it's for the better. Imagine the mass panic and hysteria if everypony knew something was going wrong with the world like every other week xp

Pretty contradictory considering Poniville is used to monster attacks :dash:

Something I don't get though, that synopsis sounds like a reuse of the plot of a previously released book :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty contradictory considering Poniville is used to monster attacks :dash:.

Something I don't get though, that synopsis sounds like a reuse of the plot of a previously released book :huh:

the mares of SMILE was released long before that recently released book you're thinking of, though...

Considering how ponies freak out upon seeing evil that threatens their land, it actually makes sense for an organization to cover it up and pretend that it never happened. Of course, they would need to get their hooves dirty if they learn some ponies still insist that something happened, and use subtle means to quiet everything down before it gets out of control. I suspect Celestia either allows S.M.I.L.E. to do what it wants so long as they give her a general gist of what's going on, or she is closely tied to them and insists they cover up events that involve evil beings.

the mares of SMILE was released long before that recently released book you're thinking of, though...

That's the point. This Lyra's book synopsis points at being a re-release for Agents of SMILE, assuming that's not a placeholder :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

so...according to a book by G.M. Berrow called, “Lyra and Bon Bon and the mares from S.M.I.L.E”, the 100th episode “Slice of Life”, and Bon Bon being a secret spy, working for S.M.I.L.E isn't a bunch of hooplah, and there have also been cover-ups by the Equestrian Government (who the secret agents work for), since Nightmare Moon.

A quote by one of the S.M.I.L.E agents from the book, states this: “Breezies were a cover-up. Tirek was a cover-up. Don't even get me started on the escape-from-the-moon thing with Princess Luna. At least that one worked out pretty well.”

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but this sends alarm bells off instantly, and makes me wonder, “what ISN'T a cover up”, from what we've seen across the show's entire 6 seasons? How long have these cover-ups been “covered up”? Do they predate Nightmare Moon? Why does Sunbutt feel the need to hide whatever information is being covered up from the population of Equestria? Being a mother figure, you'd think she be honest with her subjects and expose the truth, but why isn't she? Lying and staging cover-ups, for whatever reason, only leads to mistrust and broken relationships? How could Equestria have been in a state of peace for so long, with these cover-ups? Or is the fact that whatever information is being covered up, the very cause for the state of instability and attacks that have been plaguing Equestria since the bearers of harmony were chosen by the tree?

Topic title has been edited for clarity.

I'm not sure I want to open that Pandora's Box, but then again G.M. Berrow already did. The book is great regardless though.

• 6 months later...
On 2/9/2017 at 6:34 AM, Ganondorf8 said:

Considering how ponies freak out upon seeing evil that threatens their land, it actually makes sense for an organization to cover it up and pretend that it never happened.

Oddly enough though, they seem to act like tourists - one moment, tied up by evil attacking changelings (for example), then the next trotting along smiling as though it had never happened after magic releases them.  It's weird. It's not like they don't remember, it's like they don't care; the second the problem goes away, so does any concern over it.  Maybe Starlight was just less subtle in her mind control magic? Or maybe its just that they have had an immortal and apparently overwhelmingly powerful alicorn, Celestia, as their ruler for so long they can't imagine her NOT being able to just wave a hoof and make everything right again, so the secret the government keeps from the people is that this isn't true. But of course you could then get into the Chessmaster argument, where Celestia could have dealt with each crisis herself, but is using them as training material to bring her newly created junior Alicorns up to the point they can take some of the administrative load off Celestia herself....

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...

I definitively believe something fishy is going on in the background.

When I go back and pay attention to how Celestia acts in certain situations. It's pretty clear that most of the big bads were allowed for others to defeat... Tirek really seemed like a Discord, Celestia team up. They allowed it to happen. Even Nightmare Moons conflict seemed precreated as a test. Then i think about what evil Celestia stated that she didn't need any one for any help. Makes it possible Celestia pretends to be helpless at times when she could take care of the problem. All of the magic in the land including Discord is either equal to or weaker than 4 Alicorns. Most of it had to be Celestia.... It puts her way way stronger than what's she's shown.

• 2 years later...
On 1/15/2017 at 5:00 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

Even though this was from 2017 I'm gonna question this nonetheless. The quote "Don't even get me started on the escape-from-the-moon thing with Princess Luna. At least that one worked out pretty well." Was he/she meaning the prophecy of Luna's escape was covered up? The same one that Twilight found on the first episode or was it meaning the scenario of her already having escaped the moon tried to be covered up. Cuz that would've been a big ask not to mention she announced herself anyway to everypony. Lol may have overthought this a tad. Thx to any replies.

• 10 months later...
On 1/15/2017 at 3:58 AM, Raven Drakeaurd said:

Yeah, covering Tirek would be impossible. But, a few Breezies being left behind could be disavowed, especially since they got back in the end. and Night Mare Moon is a grey area in my eyes.

Apparently they erase the ponies' memories there.
As shown in the book where the changelings attacked a party the Mane 6 were in and afterwards the agents erased everyone's memories there.

On 2/9/2017 at 1:34 AM, Ganondorf8 said:

Considering how ponies freak out upon seeing evil that threatens their land, it actually makes sense for an organization to cover it up and pretend that it never happened. Of course, they would need to get their hooves dirty if they learn some ponies still insist that something happened, and use subtle means to quiet everything down before it gets out of control. I suspect Celestia either allows S.M.I.L.E. to do what it wants so long as they give her a general gist of what's going on, or she is closely tied to them and insists they cover up events that involve evil beings.

Then again this is probably the problem Wallflower had, the students will not remember her if she kept erasing their memories.
The ponies are most likely still freaking out due to they act like this is their first time dealing with this.
If they properly known about this, they wouldn't freak out alot due to experience. Like they get used to it and adapt to the danger.

On 1/22/2020 at 6:04 AM, CptJellyMuffin said:

Even though this was from 2017 I'm gonna question this nonetheless. The quote "Don't even get me started on the escape-from-the-moon thing with Princess Luna. At least that one worked out pretty well." Was he/she meaning the prophecy of Luna's escape was covered up? The same one that Twilight found on the first episode or was it meaning the scenario of her already having escaped the moon tried to be covered up. Cuz that would've been a big ask not to mention she announced herself anyway to everypony. Lol may have overthought this a tad. Thx to any replies.

If SMILE was behind how Equestria essentially forgotten about Luna while she was stuck up there, I want to see her tear that organization a new one big time.
I mean.. if I were her, even I did something awful, I would feel even WORSE if I ended up being forgotten by everyone there.  It doesn't matter if its for Luna's "protection", if Equestria didn't forget about her then they would be more prepared about her return. Like sympathizing with her due to what led to the NMM mess was tragic but also they would try to convince her to stop.
In fact, having everyone forget about Luna/NMM while she was up there would be dangerous due to Nightmare Moon might get FURIOUS that she was forgotten there and most likely Celestia would be in even more danger with how NMM would most likely lash out at her for this.

If they meant like covering up the whole Nightmare Moon thing in general, they failed badly due to Luna Eclipses shows everyone is aware Luna was Nightmare Moon and are afraid of her and such.

On 12/16/2017 at 3:28 AM, Kadeda said:

I definitively believe something fishy is going on in the background.

When I go back and pay attention to how Celestia acts in certain situations. It's pretty clear that most of the big bads were allowed for others to defeat... Tirek really seemed like a Discord, Celestia team up. They allowed it to happen. Even Nightmare Moons conflict seemed precreated as a test. Then i think about what evil Celestia stated that she didn't need any one for any help. Makes it possible Celestia pretends to be helpless at times when she could take care of the problem. All of the magic in the land including Discord is either equal to or weaker than 4 Alicorns. Most of it had to be Celestia.... It puts her way way stronger than what's she's shown.

If that's the case, Celestia seriously screwed Luna greatly here.
Does she realize Luna's reputation/track record is pretty damaged due to the NMM mess and losing a 1000 years of ruling?