Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I Think Starlight Glimmer Is A Better Character Then Sunset Shimmer

Tilgoreth

Starlight and Sunset have a lot of similarities. They both have a variant of Twilight' s name. :D But seriously they have a lot of similarities. Their both additions to the mane six. They have both had prominent roles within the show. Their both former villains who where reformed. But let's talk about by. Starlight is better. For one thing she had a reason to be evil and a reason to be reformed. Starburst leaving her as a kid affected her greatly. It eventually lead her to enslave the town by removing ponies cutie marks. But unlike Sunset she had a reason for being evil. Sunset was evil just because. Starlight was reformed because she realized that her path would lead to the destruction of the world and Twilight offers her friendship instead. Sunset was good just because. Well theirs more. But that's all I'll say for now. I'm curious what other people think.

• Brohoof 5

Starlight and Sunset have a lot of similarities. They both have a variant of Twilight' s name. :D But seriously they have a lot of similarities. Their both additions to the mane six. They have both had prominent roles within the show. Their both former villains who where reformed. But let's talk about by. Starlight is better. For one thing she had a reason to be evil and a reason to be reformed. Starburst leaving her as a kid affected her greatly. It eventually lead her to enslave the town by removing ponies cutie marks. But unlike Sunset she had a reason for being evil. Sunset was evil just because. Starlight was reformed because she realized that her path would lead to the destruction of the world and Twilight offers her friendship instead. Sunset was good just because. Well theirs more. But that's all I'll say for now. I'm curious what other people think.

I do agree on that, but Starlight's reformation should have been longer and more drawn out sort of like Discord, I wish she kept her old mane. 

• Brohoof 1

I agree! I also like Starlight better! I mean mainly because she's more independent than Sunset. While Sunset is becoming a seventh Element of Harmony, Starlight is getting her own group of friends, so there are so many different possibilites with her! She might as well be a protagonist in MLP Gen 5! Or maybe gen 4.5.

• Brohoof 1

While I am not overly fond of either of them, I will say that Starlight is a much larger canvas than Sunset. Meaning that they can do so much more with Starlight, even if her reformation wasn't exactly done as I would have hoped. We needed more episodes with her in season 6, but I digress. Sunset being in the damned EqG movies limits her potential massively too. They just cannot do much with her in that generic world. Starlight has the benefit of being in the far superior FiM proper.

So I do think I like Starlight a little bit more, just because she has more potential. Hopefully they stick with that.

• Brohoof 3

I do agree on that, but Starlight's reformation should have been longer and more drawn out sort of like Discord, I wish she kept her old mane.

It was long and drawn out. In Every Little Thing She Does we see how Starlight still struggles with magic. Her first instinct is to use it to control people. Sunset was instant friendship goddess. Instantly able to recognize her friends problems. Even though Princess Twilight herself couldn't recognize them.

It was long and drawn out. In Every Little Thing She Does we see how Starlight still struggles with magic. Her first instinct is to use it to control people. Sunset was instant friendship goddess. Instantly able to recognize her friends problems. Even though Princess Twilight herself couldn't recognize them.

Hmm... You make a good point there. But I would like to see more 1x1 interactions. She is better than Sunset in my view anyways.

• Brohoof 1

I agree! I also like Starlight better! I mean mainly because she's more independent than Sunset. While Sunset is becoming a seventh Element of Harmony, Starlight is getting her own group of friends, so there are so many different possibilites with her! She might as well be a protagonist in MLP Gen 5! Or maybe gen 4.5.

I doubt they'll give Starlight a spin off show. Also its possible that Starlight could become a seventh element of harmony as well. We know one exists from Legend Of Everfree. So Starlight could be the pony equivalent.

I doubt they'll give Starlight a spin off show. Also its possible that Starlight could become a seventh element of harmony as well. We know one exists from Legend Of Everfree. So Starlight could be the pony equivalent.

I hope she does. We need more Starlight and friends and less mane 6, its not 2011 anymore. 

• Brohoof 1

Hmm... You make a good point there. But I would like to see more 1x1 interactions. She is better than Sunset in my view anyways.

I think she's had some good interactions with Spike, Twilight, Trixie, and Sunburst. But I do think she should spend more time with the rest of the mane six. We really haven't seen her form much of a relationship with anyone else besides the aforementioned characters.
  • Brohoof 1

I think she's had some good interactions with Spike, Twilight, Trixie, and Sunburst. But I do think she should spend more time with the rest of the mane six. We really haven't seen her form much of a relationship with anyone else besides the aforementioned characters.

Yeah. I agree. She needs more focus. 

• Brohoof 1

I hope she does. We need more Starlight and friends and less mane 6, its not 2011 anymore.

I suppose mlp might do animated shorts. It wouldn't be uncommon for a cartoon. Though I doubt it. It's possible Starlight could become a bigger player in season seven. But even though she's my favorite character I feel like she'll remain as a supporting role. Or at least and addition to the mane six.

I suppose mlp might do animated shorts. It wouldn't be uncommon for a cartoon. Though I doubt it. It's possible Starlight could become a bigger player in season seven. But even though she's my favorite character I feel like she'll remain as a supporting role. Or at least and addition to the mane six.

Yeah I hope she does. I want her to become an Alicorn. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah. I agree. She needs more focus.

I think they did a good job of showing her interactions with other characters. But like with Sunset Shimmer she still hasn't interacted majorly with anyone else besides Spike and Twilight. At least for main characters that is. Though I suppose giving her six season seven episodes to have one on one I interactions with the mane six would be a bit much.

Yeah I hope she does. I want her to become an Alicorn.

No. At least not until they explain how alicorns work.

I think they did a good job of showing her interactions with other characters. But like with Sunset Shimmer she still hasn't interacted majorly with anyone else besides Spike and Twilight. At least for main characters that is. Though I suppose giving her six season seven episodes to have one on one I interactions with the mane six would be a bit much.

No. At least not until they explain how alicorns work.

They should do that, explain more history and develop the characters more. 

• Brohoof 1

While I am not overly fond of either of them, I will say that Starlight is a much larger canvas than Sunset. Meaning that they can do so much more with Starlight, even if her reformation wasn't exactly done as I would have hoped. We needed more episodes with her in season 6, but I digress. Sunset being in the damned EqG movies limits her potential massively too. They just cannot do much with her in that generic world. Starlight has the benefit of being in the far superior FiM proper.

So I do think I like Starlight a little bit more, just because she has more potential. Hopefully they stick with that.

I either think she'll have a bigger role in season seven. Or shell still remain as a secondary character who occasionally gets an episode focusing on her. It also possible she could be written out of the show.

They should do that, explain more history and develop the characters more.

Flurry Heart screwed up the already screwed up alicorn logic. We still need to know how Celestia, Luna, and Cadence became alicorns. Though I feel like the show might not explain that.

I either think she'll have a bigger role in season seven. Or shell still remain as a secondary character who occasionally gets an episode focusing on her. It also possible she could be written out of the show.

Flurry Heart screwed up the already screwed up alicorn logic. We still need to know how Celestia, Luna, and Cadence became alicorns. Though I feel like the show might not explain that.

We need to see that. I want to see Celestia and Luna's parents, along with Cadence, but I might be going a bit off topic here.

• Brohoof 1

We need to see that. I want to see Celestia and Luna's parents, along with Cadence, but I might be going a bit off topic here.

Well you said you wanted Starlight to be an alicorn. And I said that would be bad unless they explained how alicorns work. Also Starlight would have to do a lot more to become an alicorn. Because if saving equstria meant becoming an silicone then Spike and the rest of the mane six should be alicorns. Even Dicord should be an silicone if that's the case.

Well you said you wanted Starlight to be an alicorn. And I said that would be bad unless they explained how alicorns work. Also Starlight would have to do a lot more to become an alicorn. Because if saving equstria meant becoming an silicone then Spike and the rest of the mane six should be alicorns. Even Dicord should be an silicone if that's the case.

After saving Equestria several times, going through rigorous testing, and stuff like that, then I would like her to be, if she became one with no explanation at all then I would kinda be mad. But I would still like her. 

• Brohoof 1

After saving Equestria several times, going through rigorous testing, and stuff like that, then I would like her to be, if she became one with no explanation at all then I would kinda be mad. But I would still like her.

Before that can happen they should explain alicorns. Even the reasons why Twilight became one are vague.
  • Brohoof 1

I would have to respectfully disagree with some of the points that you make.

For starters as a member of the mane 6/7, Starlight really has only interacted with Twilight and Spike enough to have any sort of meaningful relationship with them.

But for the others, I can't see for example either Rainbow Dash or Applejack explicitly going out of their way to spend time with Starlight Glimmer.

But when it comes to Sunset she honestly feels like a fully integrated member of the Canterlot High group, and had to face consequences for her actions as a villain, and work her way into the good graces of said group, unlike what happened with Starlight.

While both of their initial reformations were pretty rushed, the whole Sunset crying and wanting to be a better came out of nowhere, I take more umbrage with how Starlight's was handled because, unlike the ending of the first EQG movie, the show expected us to buy the rest of the mane six, and the ponies from the village forgiving her in a 2 minute montage, giving off the impression, that she never had to work to gain the trust of those that she hurt in the past.

I do have to admit that even if Starlight was never my favorite villain, she did have a great amount of potential, and worked better as a villain than Sunset Shimmer did.

Even if I like Sunset a lot more than Starlight, I did like how she was presented in the finale, and hopefully she may start to grow on me, even if I wish her reformation was handled a lot better.

• Brohoof 4

She had bad first and second impressions on them, and good impressions on team reformed villains. So I guess thats how I think the direction should be.

• Brohoof 1

She had bad first and second impressions on them, and good impressions on team reformed villains. So I guess thats how I think the direction should be.

I don't know how she had bad impressions. At least not after she was reformed. Sunburst was lying about his past also so I don't think that was a bad impression.

I don't know how she had bad impressions. At least not after she was reformed. Sunburst was lying about his past also so I don't think that was a bad impression.

When she mind controlled everyone, and when she was a villain in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

When she mind controlled everyone, and when she was a villain in the first place.

Yeah that wasn't a good moment for her. I understand the point of the episode though. It was to show how Starlight can get flustered and scared about failing to make a good impression on her friends. I think the episode would have been better if it focused on her one on one I interactions with the mane six instead.