Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What is the worst animated movie you've ever seen

Tilgoreth

Either the 1986 MLP movie, or a Winx Club one I came across on a movie channel and decided to watch with my girlfriend. To be fair to the Winx Club movie, most of my problems with it stem from the fact I don't know the characters or the world at all, having never seen the series. My second problem with it was that only Bloom was given any characterization at all (as evidenced by the fact I know her name, but no one else's) and that it looked quite clunky. IIRC they used CGI instead of 'normal' animation and it didn't work out that well.

• Brohoof 1

Either the 1986 MLP movie, or a Winx Club one I came across on a movie channel and decided to watch with my girlfriend. To be fair to the Winx Club movie, most of my problems with it stem from the fact I don't know the characters or the world at all, having never seen the series. My second problem with it was that only Bloom was given any characterization at all (as evidenced by the fact I know her name, but no one else's) and that it looked quite clunky. IIRC they used CGI instead of 'normal' animation and it didn't work out that well.

Outside of big animation studios it doesn't feel like companies care about doing good CGI animation.

It's hard to pick just one (or even several) to call the worst ever. Mostly, animated movies aren't so much bad as generic. So many of them fall into the same old checklist of wisecrack here, fart joke there, over-explanation of plot and some stifling moment where the movie screeches to a halt to beat the audience over the head with a gentle moral lesson. 

If I had to pick out the ones that just fall flat, I'd say the Shrek movies, Puss N Boots and Madagascar.

Oh yeah, come to think of it, I can pick a bad one, Spongebob. Truly one of the worst I've ever seen.

I could go into made for DVD movies but they are what they are; no big ambitious projects, just cheap and easy money grabs.    

• 5 years later...

I haven't seen many bad ones. I think I'll just say The Land Before Time VI. I actually like most of the Land Before Time sequels, but this one was just, in the words of PhantomStrider, "such a snore". I wasn't crazy about the fifth one either.

• 1 year later...
On 2017-01-16 at 3:42 AM, StormBlaze said:

Alpha and Omega. Couldnt get far in it because the animation hurt my eyes so. Its alright when its a TV show, because I dont expect the CGI budget to be huge but as a set of movies. just no! 

Also Open Season. Did not care for those films.

I actually loved those movies :( (I respect your opinion tho)

My personal least favorite is just CATS, which as you might expect is a movie about cats, but there was a bird as well, and these cats were like trying to go to a land because apparently they thought they were born there or something. I don't really hate it, I was just really bored by it to the point where about halfway into it I was like "When will this end so I can go to bed and think about stories?" It just felt like it could have more effort put into it, and at some points it felt like it was taking certain elements of other movies, which didn't really help much. Also, it was clearly originally in a different language bc what the characters said didn't match the mouth movements. I actually forgot that it was just called CATS until I looked at a store's DVD collection yesterday (their collection was absolute garbage. I only found about 1-2 good animated movies there) and saw a DVD for it there, so yeah.

I already chimed in on this question but now I can add pretty much every Disney animated movie made since Tangled. They have nothing to do with entertainment and everything to do with politics, and not the kind that are appropriate for younger audiences. Irritating is one thing but offensive is another, and everything Disney has made for a long time has been offensive.

• Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has mentioned that Sausage movie Seth Rogen wrote and produced. It came out back in like 2016. I love a good stupid humor movie but that was just....bad. I tried to rewatch it recently and I still couldn't sit through it. It just wasn't funny to me.

• Brohoof 3

9 hours ago, Clawdeen said:

Surprised no one has mentioned that Sausage movie Seth Rogen wrote and produced. It came out back in like 2016. I love a good stupid humor movie but that was just....bad. I tried to rewatch it recently and I still couldn't sit through it. It just wasn't funny to me.

:ButtercupLaugh: It's not a great movie but it's all about that last five minutes and you can see that on youtube. I probably shouldn't link it.

9 hours ago, Clawdeen said:

I haven't seen it bc I'm probably not old enough to, but I read the script for it and... yeah, I think you get it.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh wait, I just forgot about some more childhood "masterpieces".

There was this fish movie that I think was called Shark Bait, but I don't remember the name exactly, although I think the story was about this group of fish and a shark getting seperated from their parts in the ocean and they had to find their way back. I literally only remember 2 scenes from it, one was when they were exploring some abandoned boat or smth and there were like real human ghosts in there, and another where the pink fish just started singing out of nowhere :sealed:

Another was called Jungle Safari. It's about this group of wild animals going on a journey into the jungle. The weirdest part is, I don't even remember any actual scenes from the movie itself :scoots:

I also remember watching some weird elephant movie where the beginning is in an entirely different language, a movie about a dying bird, and my parents put on a movie about a lion when I was about 4 but it was so bad that they turned it off only a few minutes after it started...