Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is it wrong to pirate mlp episodes?

Tilgoreth

Like others have already said: What you're doing is wrong even if you do have noble intentions. Granted, I do watch the episodes as they become available on YouTube though I use Netflix for additional viewings whenever I have the free time. The Equestria Girls movies are an exception to my rule. I watch them on Netflix or on the official DVDs that I have purchased in stores.

• Brohoof 1

If you live outside of the US it is pretty much impossible to legitimately watch MLP, for this reason I also pirate episodes.

It is legally wrong but I doubt it takes much money away from the people who actually make the show, I remember reading once that Hasbro gets most of the profit while they get a tiny percentage (as usual with large companies).

• Brohoof 1

Not everyones going to buy any product in the world, the reason they market them is for the people that will buy them, not the people that won't buy them

And this is relevant because...? My point was that the old "but they might buy the toys at some point so it's okay to pirate the episodes" argument doesn't work because the same people might not spend any money on the toys and those sort of things, so Hasbro doesn't earn any money from them at all. 

Yes, but I bought pony merch because I watched the show online, and a lot of other people do as well, and they wouldn't be bronies(and obviously, wouldn't buy merch) if they hadn't had the ability to watch it online. 

True, but you don't have to watch an entire episode to get curios about the show, you can watch a short clip from an episode on youtube, and then buy an episode or two on itunes if said short clip made you interested in watching the show. 

• Brohoof 1

Wow, the OP's situation is similiar to mine! We do have satellite only, but MLP's not there (since I live in India, where piracy is rampant) and since we can't pay for Netflix, I watch episodes on Youtube/Dailymotion and download them (FOR WATCHING LATER! Jeez...). If I ever move to the US, I'll buy the DVDs (at least Season 4) and toys.

I agree that piracy is illegal, but I don't think it's immoral if you have no other choice.

• Brohoof 1

Its my only option. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to watch them. Also as I e stated before it is out convenience. And I hate to say it but I feel no r remote for pirating.

So don't watch them. How about that option? Oh right... I forgot... convenience. What is the point of starting a thread and asking if it is wrong or not to finally just break down and go "Hahaha, who cares what anyone thinks! I'm a thief and proud of it!"

Obviously this kind of thread is just beating a horse that has been dead for years.... as long as the ability to download and stream stuff exists, people are going to do it. Whether or not it is legal or not is an ongoing gray area that is always going back and forth depending upon whom you speak with. It is really not about the legal aspects though, more of the moral aspects... the whole "I should be able to do it because i can do it".

I am not going to pass judgement on anyone downloading or streaming anything, just for the simple fact if Hasbro wanted to stop it, they COULD stop a lot of it. Of course it would piss of a lot of fans... but hey.... gotta break a few eggs sometimes right? I've streamed episodes online before... and I am sure just about everyone here has a couple of times as well.... but I also watch it in reruns on TV, have the DVD sets, buy the comic, pick up merchandise I actually like now and again as well. And I think many others have this same mindset as well... of course there will always be those who just are along for the ride to get as much as they can as easy as they can with no regards for anyone but themselves.

I'm really shocked at the level of vehemence against watching online, when most bronies watch online. This is fascinating to me. I don't really understand it. Maybe a lot of bronies just aren't commenting because of the atmosphere?

It is not about watching it online. It is about the mentality that just because you can means you should. I mean if you literally have NO OTHER way of watching the show except by watching it this way.. I can understand it.... after all, if you can't see it any other way... there is little anyone can really say. However,  it becomes a totally different thing when someone says, "I have other options, but Fuck that! Free!" or "Even if I had other options, I still would not do it! Hahaha! Because... FREE!"

• Brohoof 4

And this is relevant because...? My point was that the old "but they might buy the toys at some point so it's okay to pirate the episodes" argument doesn't work because the same people might not spend any money on the toys and those sort of things, so Hasbro doesn't earn any money from them at all. 

It was relevant because you were saying my argument didn't work because "not everyone is going to buy". But Hasbro doesn't care if every single person buys merch or not, because they know a lot will. A lot of people watching online will become bronies and buy merch. Of course not every pony is going to buy merch. But that doesn't change anything

True, but you don't have to watch an entire episode to get curios about the show, you can watch a short clip from an episode on youtube, and then buy an episode or two on itunes if said short clip made you interested in watching the show. 

This is true, but it would still be a huge barrier to potential new bronies if they had to buy every episode. I still think conversion to bronyism should come first, and then buying stuff. This is most likely Hasbro's philosophy on this, and is the reason they don't shut the sites down. 

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 1

It was relevant because you were saying my argument didn't work because "not everyone is going to buy". But Hasbro doesn't care if every single person buys merch or not, because they know a lot will. A lot of people watching online will become bronies and buy merch. Of course not every pony is going to buy merch. But that doesn't change anything

No, you're argument was that it's okay to pirate because they (as in the person pirating) might perhaps eventually buy a toy or two, maybe. And my point was that that argument doesn't work because there is an equally big chance (at least) that they won't buy anything. 

• Brohoof 1

A lot of people watching online will become bronies and buy merch. Of course not every pony is going to buy merch.
 Well, the thing is that most of the people who buy merch aren't buying enough merch for it to make up for the fact that they pirated the episodes.

For an example it costs around 376 dollars to buy all episodes and all movies on iTunes. How many bronies buy merch from Hasbro for 376 dollars or more? The answer is extremely few. 

• Brohoof 1

From the law's perspective, it's stealing, but how often does the law get it all wrong? It's an infringement on corporations but corporations aren't people, notwithstanding corporate shills who run the supreme courts. So, I don't see it as actually harming people so it isn't aggression so therefore, it isn't a crime. The comparison to physical stealing is not valid because it harms people directly. But that's my perspective.

I don't know if it matters anyway. What net loss is occurring? I'm not part of the target audience. If I buy episodes or toys, that's just a bonus to Hasbro. If it wasn't for places like youtube, I wouldn't have watched any episodes on my own. No bonus viewership. No merchandise buying down the road. They would have not gained anything.

I don't really see a problem.

• Brohoof 1

IvE only ever watched mlp episodes on pirating sites. I don't have cable. What do you think about it?

I'm somewhat in the same situation as you. The show doesn't air in my country in sync with when it's released in the U.S. so I end up pirating new episodes the day they come out there so that I don't have to avoid the Internet for days.

Having said that, I always buy the DVD of the entire season when it becomes available, so, they do get my money, just not right away.

There is, however, the little detail of business model to consider as well. Usually, when someone makes a television show, it is for the purpose of making that television show to entertain people. In that regard, the creator should absolutely be paid for his or her creation.

Hasbro, at its core, is not in the television business. They're a toy company. Now, as in the 80's when this trend started, the cartoon is, in essence, an overblown commercial. This one just happens to have had some very good thought and production values thrown behind it from the start. Hasbro probably started out not caring if the show did well, so long as it made the target audience aware of the toys being sold. The show is marketing - and when was the last time you heard of someone charging you to see a commercial?