Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted What Do You Think About My OC? (Layla Shade)

Chrylestia600

I feel a lot of reluctance posting this, but I really, really want to know.

I've had people who have praised my OC character, Layla Shade. I've also had a decent number of people tell me that she's too outlandish, or too bizarre. If you don't know anything about her, please read up on her in this link:

https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/layla-shade-r9691

Today I got a review for Shade. Needless to say it wasn't overly positive, and while I really love the character I've created, the review has made me question whether or not the general fanbase actually has/would have a good opinion of her. Yes, I've gotten praise for this character, but that doesn't mean that the majority of people actually like her design or anything else.

So, I'm asking you to give me your opinion. If the large response to this thread is negative, perhaps I'll think of doing away with her entirely, though that would be very hard purely because of how much work I put into designing her. If it's largely positive, I'll be much more confident and keep her. If it's somewhere in between... well, I'll have to decide what to do in that case.

Thank you for reading, and if you've come this far, I would extremely grateful if you would post your opinion as well, even if it's one sentence. And don't be afraid to be truthful, it's what I want.

Edited by Chrylestia600
  • Brohoof 5

Looks good. But in my view she looks a bit too chrysalis like, as in the eyes. But other than that the only other issues I can think of is that she needs to have a solid but short backstory. I would also kinda like to say having a character related to a canon character isn't the best thing to do.

Edited by NightMare Star.

Looks good. But in my view she looks a bit too chrysalis like, as in the eyes. But other than that the only other issues I can think of is that she needs to have a solid but short backstory.

The resemblances to Chrysalis were intentional, I figured that just like all the Changelings look basically the same, that she would look similar to Chrysalis if she was an Alicorn (funny thing is that I soon learned that the pic I based my OC on, was actually a picture of Chrysalis in an Alicorn form). I also do have a backstory for her... I'm just working on some details and therefore haven't posted it yet.

Anything else?

• Brohoof 2

The resemblances to Chrysalis were intentional, I figured that just like all the Changelings look basically the same, that she would look similar to Chrysalis if she was an Alicorn (funny thing is that I soon learned that the pic I based my OC on, was actually a picture of Chrysalis in an Alicorn form). I also do have a backstory for her... I'm just working on some details and therefore haven't posted it yet.

Anything else?

Well you did say that she was manipulative but I haven't really seen that In character.

(edited)

Well you did say that she was manipulative but I haven't really seen that In character.

I haven't really had the opportunity to do that side of her character in the roleplay, if that's what you're referring to.

But I don't want to defend her, so if it comes down to the fact that she isn't well made, then I want to know. It's majorly disappointing to see that there seems to be a lot of negative opinions of her, but I want the truth. It also comes as a bit of a surprise, too.

Edited by Chrylestia600

Looks good. But in my view she looks a bit too chrysalis like, as in the eyes. But other than that the only other issues I can think of is that she needs to have a solid but short backstory. I would also kinda like to say having a character related to a canon character isn't the best thing to do.

I agree with that last part, which is why I didn't confirm it, just left it open to speculation.

• Brohoof 1

If you're honestly asking, keep in mind the positives and negatives that could come your way.
Another's opinion shouldn't influence your choice one way or another.
You should, rather, compile the pro's and cons both of the character itself, as well as the choice in redesigning it.

I'd rather not dictate to you what those are, because that may sway your choice.
Instead, I'd prefer to point out that, to be a character, it has to have a story.
That story can move and change the character, make it more or less interesting to suit whatever you choose for it.
You could make them sharp and witty, like a knowledgeable blade.
Or warm and comforting, like a comfy blanket on a cold winter night.

Whatever they look like, should suit that, in any way you choose to develop that story.

I know this is ranty, but it's something I don't think a lot of people take into consideration when they make 'an OC'.
They see a picture and call it a character, without thinking of how that fits into the world around it.

I hope that helps you make a choice in whichever way you choose to go :3

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

If you're honestly asking, keep in mind the positives and negatives that could come your way.

Another's opinion shouldn't influence your choice one way or another.

You should, rather, compile the pro's and cons both of the character itself, as well as the choice in redesigning it.

I'd rather not dictate to you what those are, because that may sway your choice.

Instead, I'd prefer to point out that, to be a character, it has to have a story.

That story can move and change the character, make it more or less interesting to suit whatever you choose for it.

You could make them sharp and witty, like a knowledgeable blade.

Or warm and comforting, like a comfy blanket on a cold winter night.

Whatever they look like, should suit that, in any way you choose to develop that story.

I know this is ranty, but it's something I don't think a lot of people take into consideration when they make 'an OC'.

They see a picture and call it a character, without thinking of how that fits into the world around it.

I hope that helps you make a choice in whichever way you choose to go :3

Well, as I said in an earlier comment, I do have a story for her. I just need to finish it up, because I want to make sure it's a good one, so I don't have it posted yet.

The main thing is that today, I've only been hearing mostly negatives, with hardly any positives. :/ Other people's opinions don't usually sway mine, but in this case, I don't particularly want an OC that barely anyone likes... I don't see the point.

I also feel as though I should point out, I do tend to overthink things, and can be a bit sensitive to opinions sometimes. But I don't want it to stop anyone from telling me what they really think.

I really love your OC!

It's so Amazing! :)

Thank you... this is the first time I've heard something like this today.

Edited by Chrylestia600
  • Brohoof 1

I like your OC very much. The personality fits her appearance, and, Celestia!, she is beautiful! The colors evoke in me the idea of the manipulative kind of pony you described, while her mane, tail and wings contribute to a charming look. My only problem with her appearance is that her wings look a little weird in that picture, so maybe if you put more detail into their representation, they would look better. The way they look presently, I would describe them as... "flat", but if that's just a problem with drawing, then the idea behind the design is perfect in my opinion. About the personality, it's good, but it could be more unique or more developed (of course, she's still lacking her backstory, so I guess it's only natural!). Anyway, Miss Shade is a very good concept, and I am sure that if you want you can improve her. Feel free to share with us your thoughts.
: )

Edit: Oh, you already have a backstory for her? Then tell us a bit about it!
: D

Edited by Strumboldt
  • Brohoof 1

To be honest with everyone, I'm rather afraid to finish and post the backstory. I'm terrified that it's going to sound downright terrible. It's also... fairly dark.

Well if you don't want to post it, you don't have to. But I would like to see it.

• Brohoof 1

Well, as I said in an earlier comment, I do have a story for her. I just need to finish it up, because I want to make sure it's a good one, so I don't have it posted yet.

The main thing is that today, I've only been hearing mostly negatives, with hardly any positives. :/ Other people's opinions don't usually sway mine, but in this case, I don't particularly want an OC that barely anyone likes... I don't see the point.

I also feel as though I should point out, I do tend to overthink things, and can be a bit sensitive to opinions sometimes. But I don't want it to stop anyone from telling me what they really think.

Thank you... this is the first time I've heard something like this today.

What you're describing is reactionary, though.

You see a lot of negative responses to it, and seek out positives.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but you could do one better by thinking of the negatives as more a critique.

If they're justified, say for instance the mane color that people take issue with, try consulting artistic guides on what colors might work, or again with the story develop a reason why it's that color.

It's always better to take the bad in life and find a use for it that is reflected positively to the world around you than to turn around and shelter yourself in a shower of positivity.

That's not to say doing so is a bad thing, it just doesn't help as much in the long run :P

Sorta like having a soda, the caffeine buzz feels good for a bit, but then you come back for more later, until you require it.

:D

Edit due to updated page:

It's your story, post it or not, if it needs fixing just be open to recommendations and take the same approach.

Reason out what works and what doesn't, think of ways to make the story work, and have the character go through it :3

Edited by The_Gobo
  • Brohoof 3

What you're describing is reactionary, though.

You see a lot of negative responses to it, and seek out positives.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, but you could do one better by thinking of the negatives as more a critique.

If they're justified, say for instance the mane color that people take issue with, try consulting artistic guides on what colors might work, or again with the story develop a reason why it's that color.

It's always better to take the bad in life and find a use for it that is reflected positively to the world around you than to turn around and shelter yourself in a shower of positivity.

That's not to say doing so is a bad thing, it just doesn't help as much in the long run :P

Sorta like having a soda, the caffeine buzz feels good for a bit, but then you come back for more later, until you require it. :D

Edit due to updated page:

It's your story, post it or not, if it needs fixing just be open to recommendations and take the same approach.

Reason out what works and what doesn't, think of ways to make the story work, and have the character go through it :3

I agree with all of this, I really do. There's just a fairly large problem in the long run.

A huge chunk of the issue is that all these pictures people on the forums have made for me (including my signature), will have been for nothing. I can't change what those pictures look like, and I'm not about to ask all the members to redo them. If I changed anything about Shade's appearance, I myself am not very good with digital art, so I would have NO pictures of her.

• Brohoof 2

I agree with all of this, I really do. There's just a fairly large problem in the long run.

A huge chunk of the issue is that all these pictures people on the forums have made for me (including my signature), will have been for nothing. I can't change what those pictures look like, and I'm not about to ask all the members to redo them. If I changed anything about Shade's appearance, I myself am not very good with digital art, so I would have NO pictures of her.

Fair point. Maybe you could just make another OC? Instead of redoing Shade?

• Brohoof 1

That just sounds like it wasn't planned.

But yeah, things can change over time.

Like I said, the character changes in the story, you could likely find a way for the character to be this way now, and something else later.

Whoo that run-on sentence tho'.

• Brohoof 1

That just sounds like it wasn't planned.

But yeah, things can change over time.

Like I said, the character changes in the story, you could likely find a way for the character to be this way now, and something else later.

Whoo that run-on sentence tho'.

I guess my negative emotional state is simply stemming from the fact that I like her. I like her the way she is. And changing her appearance in particular is disappointing because I don't want to, I like it. And it sucks to see that a lot of people DON'T like it. It means that if I change it, I won't like it as much, but if I don't, most others will continue to dislike the appearance.

I guess that's what it comes down to. Her backstory, I'm sure, can always be edited and corrected, and I can take the negatives and use them to improve. But her personality and appearance would purely be changed for other people's benefit.

Fair point. Maybe you could just make another OC? Instead of redoing Shade?

I guess I always could, be it wouldn't be for my sake, it would be just so that everyone else would like it.

• Brohoof 2

I guess my negative emotional state is simply stemming from the fact that I like her. I like her the way she is. And changing her appearance in particular is disappointing because I don't want to, I like it. And it sucks to see that a lot of people DON'T like it. It means that if I change it, I won't like it as much, but if I don't, most others will continue to dislike the appearance.

I guess that's what it comes down to. Her backstory, I'm sure, can always be edited and corrected, and I can take the negatives and use them to improve. But her personality and appearance would purely be changed for other people's benefit.

I guess I always could, be it wouldn't be for my sake, it would be just so that everyone else would like it.

Well that simplifies things.

It's your character, if you don't wanna change 'em, don't :P

• Brohoof 1

Well, what people don't usually like about Shade's appearance? Maybe you could find a way to harmonize stuff in a way that you don't have to change her to something you don't like. Also, if it isn't possible, then you must remember that if you created her for yourself, it's your opinion that matters most; it normal that people don't like stuff, we're all different and one can't create something that looks beatiful to everyone.

: )

Edit: I swear I didn't copy The_Gobo

: x

Edited by Strumboldt
  • Brohoof 2

Well that simplifies things.

It's your character, if you don't wanna change 'em, don't :P

I do if the majority of people don't like it. I just mean that I myself liked the character the way it was. As I said, I'm not going to keep a character that no one likes.

• Brohoof 2

I do if the majority of people don't like it. I just mean that I myself liked the character the way it was. As I said, I'm not going to keep a character that no one likes.

If you like the character the way it is, why should it matter what others think of it?

It's you're character :P

• Brohoof 3

I happen to like Layla Shade a lot. A lot of people tend to state things against the character that really they couldn't know without doing RP with the character themselves. And if some would like to use the fact that she doesn't have a backstory, mine doesn't either. The stories might be under work, but that isn't a reason to not like the 'character' in my opinion. They just don't have a whole ton of info to their name yet. And the thought that she might be outlandish looking in appearance really shouldn't be considered a bad thing. Why would it be? After all, she is a hybrid of three species. It would make sense, and therefore is not bad in any way in my opinion. Now, some may say. Well, why is she part bat-pony? Because if she wasn't she couldn't be related to her sister, Astera. (My OC matter of fact). And then there might be those who say. Why is she part Alicorn? Because if she wasn't she would not have non-changeling wings. And if so, she would have changeling wings and therefore resemble Queen Chrysalis a lot more than some might already think she does. And I still don't understand why some people have issues with the colors. Why?? Can a black pony not have a magenta colored mane with green streaks?? I really just don't see why there would be any issue with that, as I actually like Shade's colors. Now, yes, I do think if you WANT to make a new OC, go ahead, I don't think anyone will judge. But I personally think Shade is good as she is today. Just my own personal opinion on the matter.

• Brohoof 2

First of all, who cares what other people think? If you like your character, then keep her looking the way she looks now. To me, the deal breaker for any OC is the back story. Think up a truly awesome back story; if it's still a work in progress, then keep working at it til it's ready. Personally, I'd rather see an alicorn OC with a super duper and yet totally believable story behind them rather than an earth pony with zero story and a personality like a piece of soggy cardboard.

• Brohoof 3

There are times where I honestly wish she wasn't three different species, but I literally can't do anything to change that unless I don't make her related to Astera, or get rid of her wings and replace them with those of a Changeling. Both things I really, really don't want to do.