Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

john31

Hello, my name is Jack and I am a journalism student at Dalhousie University. I am doing an assignment that focuses on learning about the passions or obsessions of others and writing a short feature story about them. The story will only be seen by my professor and I would really appreciate if anyone could answer some of the following questions:

1. How long have you been a brony?

2. Why did you first start watching MLP?

3. What drew you to the brony community?

4. How do you participate and or contribute to the community?

5. Who is your favourite pony?

Thank you for your cooperation!!

• Brohoof 2

Hello, my name is Jack and I am a journalism student at Dalhousie University. I am doing an assignment that focuses on learning about the passions or obsessions of others and writing a short feature story about them. The story will only be seen by my professor and I would really appreciate if anyone could answer some of the following questions:

Thank you for your cooperation!!

A few months. I started watching in September/October 2016.

It was for a self-demeaning joke to gain me attention. I got hooked and eventually I found this place.

The fact that everyone is really nice and supportive in the community.

4. How do you participate and/or contribute to the community?

I just... talk, make art, and role-play with other people.

5. Who is your favorite pony?

Derpy Hooves. (I expected you to ask for an explanation)

I hope you'll succeed at doing this assignment.

1. Almost three years.

2. Curiosity.

3. A number of fan works. A few songs, animations, and such. The biggest factor by far was Fallout Equestria.

4. I write and submit fanfictions to Fimfiction.net sometimes, and share my art online. Back when I first joined the fandom I busied myself by writing and cleaning up My Little Pony related articles on wikiHow. Other than that, I've participated in one collab video recently.

5. Rainbow Dash.  :wub:

1. I've been a brony since 2012. 

2. I started watching MLP out of curiosity. You see, sometimes, I love watching random vids on youtube and for some reason back in the year 2012, I decided to watch videos of pianos being dropped from high places, even though I'm a pianist myself :P. Anyway, I stumbled upon a peculiar thumbnail. I didn't know it was MLP at the time, so I clicked it and watched it. It was pretty funny. I then disovered more of these clips and then finally, I graduated into longer scenes. I wasn't immune to the mlp theme yet, so hearing that little jingle in the intro still make me cringe. It wasn't until I made a musical arrangement of the theme that I became immune. It was on that day I became a brony. After watching my first episode, I just found it so encouraging. Now, I can say the reason why I watch mlp is because it shows the reality and struggle of life through every species of pony. I can easily tie this to real life to help me with my future

3. The thing that drew me to the brony community was that everyone looked out for one another and treated each other like family, despite coming from all walks of life, no matter sexuality, race, gender or ethnicity. 

4. I compose and remix music for the brony fandom. I have a YouTube, SoundCloud and Pony.fm if you want to check out my work. 

5. It started out as Rainbow Dash, but now my all-time fave is Princess Cadence. She happens to be my waifu and tulpa!

@@john31

Edited by C. Thunder Dash

1) I've been a brony since 2012, so 5 years.

2) I started watching the show to see why people liked it so much, so I guess out of curiosity.  

3) The fan art and videos that bronies made drew me into it.  Lots of bronies are very talented.  They're also very nice and welcoming so I thought it was a nice community to join.

4) I used to draw ponies but I never released it to the fandom, it was mostly for personal benefit.  Now I really just go on these forums and consume lots of art and videos.  I don't really create anything for it.

5) Fluttershy

2 months

Well, first i wanted to see what the hype was about! Then I loved the songs... and then I started to be converted by the cuteness. And now I am a brony! 

Because I wanted to be among other bronies!

Mostly I just talk on the forums, and sometimes I welcome people in the welcoming plaza

Rainbow Dash

1. For about three years now. I don't exactly remember when I started watching this show.

2. My girlfriend suggested to me as a joke that I should watch it, but then I did. And I liked it. So I watched more of it.

3. The brony community is this little place that's just nice and happy. It's my happy-place, so to speak. I don't really have to worry about people making fun of me, or people criticizing who I am, because that's just not what bronies do.

4. I don't actively contribute anything, even though I kind of want to get into making fan-music. I do participate in some roleplays, and I look at a lot of fan-art.

5. Applejack, of course. She's honest, stubborn, down-to-earth, and the most sensible out of the mane 6 in my opinion.

Hope you get a good mark for this assignment!

A long, long, long time. :P I first started watching My Little Pony in its very first incarnation, back when I was a child. The series started on TV in 1986, and I began collecting the toys soon after.

The first series, as I mention above, came out in 1986. With FiM, I remembered how much I'd loved G1 as a child, so started watching this new series and became hooked. I originally watched My Little Pony cuz as a child, I loved horses. The characterisation and storylines weren't really up to much in the first series, but as a child, I didn't really care. XD

Wanting to find a place to discuss ponies with other likeminded people.

Fanart, fanfic and roleplay, mostly.

Rarity.

1) I first saw the show in 2013, but did not fall into the fandom until 2015

2) A Brony friend of mine made me watch an episode and I found it, surprisingly, tolerable.

3) There is a massive amount of talented artists who drew the cute pony characters of MLP. Along with that, the brony community has a massive amount of fan projects. Since I voice act online as a hobby, there was a lot of opportunity in the Brony community.

4) I draw fanart and voice act for fan made projects. Recently, I have been contributing less though.

5) Fluttershy.

Good luck with your assignment!

Edited by icyfire888

1. How long have you been a brony? Since September 2015 but Not 100% Brony yet, Just a Fan of MLP

2. Why did you first start watching MLP? I once saw a Kid wearing a Batman Shirt and holding a Pony Plushie while I'm at the Mall with my Dad and My Bro (I was at Bass Pro Shop) and then On August 30 2015, I thought, "I wanted to watch MLP So bad" so I download a pirated (which Is illegal word to say in this forum) folder for Season 1-3 on my Old Laptop and I watched it and I thought, "OMG This is so Amazing!" and Since then, I watched all Seasons from MLP and Equestria Girls Movies!

3. What drew you to the brony community? I thought to Myself that I would joined this forum but didn't have a chance to do so but then I was searching Post your Desktops images on Google (Keep in Mind I was using Microsoft Edge) and there's this Forums that I really wanted to joined so I joined this Forum and Here I am Today!

4. How do you participate and or contribute to the community? Just talking and Welcoming People in Welcoming Plaza

5. Who is your favourite pony? It has been Rarity from the Start, She is my Waifu and She is very Fabulous and Beautiful!

There you go, Wow, No one is going to read this really long post.

Edited by Zachary

- About 5 years.

- Watched it with my little brother (9 years old)

- Wanted to talk to the people ponies with the same passion, about the show, characters, voice actors etc.

4. How do you participate and/or contribute to the community?

- I don't. Just watching from aside.

5. Who is your favorite pony?

- I love them all.

thumb.gif

1.sens i was 12

2.the short story is my best friend got me into it

3. (2.)

4.0_0 ... i haven't given it much thought... i will definitely think on it

5.flutter-dash-pie

1) From April this year, it'll be a year

2) Curiousity for the most part.(Full story can be found here https://mlpforums.com/topic/153854-bronies-together/)

3) Research and that kinda spiraled out of control to fan creations (See link above)

4) Right now. I just post here on the forums, but one day I hope to contribute with my own art.

5) I have many favourites, but one very refined and beautiful pony has spoken to me. Rarity.

I've been watching MLP since about mid-2013.

My sister decided to watch it on netflix one day. I was bored, and intrigued, so I watched a few episodes on my own after. Now I've seen every single episode of Gen 4.

I came to the brony community at first to talk about the show. It's been a while since I've done that. I'm usually here for the people. Everyone's fairly friendly.

I contribute by giving my shitty opinion to everyone, whether they asked for it or not. In all seriousness, though, I usually just spend time on the forum here, posting, discussing, etc.

My favorite pony? That's a tough one. If I had to chose, I'd say Lyra.

I've been a brony for about a year or two,I had begun to grow obsessed with Mlp due to watching many Mlp grimdarks so I decided to watch the show too to see if I would like it and I did,grimdarks and making friends drew me to the community, not sure how I contribute I just watch the show and take part in various parts of the fandom as well as focus on making friends on here, I'm not sure I have a favorite pony as I like them all but I do really like pinkemena or pinkie pie as she is known on the show as well as twilight sparkle

1. I’ve been a brony for about 2 years.

2. I was aware of the fanbase and the hatred towards it, and wanted to form my own opinion. Also, I needed something positive in the time of great negativity.

3. Its openness and some amazingly talented bronies.

4. I’m just a consumer in this aspect. However, I talk to other bronies on forums and “like” brony-made videos in YouTube.

5. Moondancer.

1. I joined the fandom in October 2013 though I didn't know of the fandom's existence for at least another month and didn't contribute anything until the following November 2014.

2. My reason is that it happened by complete accident. I woke up one Sunday morning and was going to watch television in bed--I don't do this anymore as my T.V no longer has cable--and the first Equestria Girls movie happened to be on. I was only able to watch snippets of it but Twilight's encounter with Sunset after the latter berated Fluttershy was what hooked me in so to speak. I'd spend the next week looking for and eventually watching the entire movie online followed by binge watching the first three seasons at the time so as to prepare myself for season four.

3. I waited an entire year before I started to interact with community, but even then I had to struggle to find my place in the fandom and not come off as an old has-been who was past his prime regarding cartoons.

4. My contribution to the fandom is through my fanfiction which can be seen over on FimFiction.

5. Sunset Shimmer.

1. I've been a brony for a couple months now. (Very new)

2. I first got into the show through one of its parodies. The video convinced me to watch the show mainly because I wanted to understand the references. Soon I was hooked, it was actually really hard because it took me a while to get past the girly aspects so I could invest myself in the story.

3. I immediately looked for a community to participate in and found this place. I had known about the bronies and knew there'd be a huge community I could dive into.

4. As you can probably tell, I try to lend my skills with 3D graphics to the community when I can. I've also been trying to write on FimFiction and participate often on these forums.

5. Rainbow Dash is best pony.

Edited by digit112

It kinda like a on and off, but I been mlp fan since G1.

I didnt watch G1 ones, I only collect. But when it hit G3, since I'm a little older like age 8, I only watch a few since I just want to try it out (and they only made few).  It was okay, but then I just stick to collecting over watching it. Then G4 comes in, I did hesitated to go back  due to "having to grow up" away mlp.  But as a former collector and knowing mlp since a child, I decided to give it a go. and liked it and continue on collecting and watching it. Although I did  repel against the epicene feels toward it, but it's manageable.  

I noticed mlp Fim is popping everywhere in the store and the media, I  want to see what's so popular about. 

4.How do you participate and or contribute to the community?

Other than this forums, not much. I would visit mlp merch for updates. 

5.Who is your favourite pony?

Minty, Rainbow dash and Applejack.

Edited by Satrox

Since december 2014, so two years.

A friend of mine told me he was a brony and wanted to see what all this was about.

​The creativity and friendliness!

Mostly posting here, but I'm practicing art and animation so I make awesome stuff as well!

Rarity and Shining Armor (I can't really decide between the two).

1. Since June 16th, 2012!

2. Mostly because I was in the hospital and I had nothing else to do. Friend sent me an episode over YouTube and I ended up watching it out of boredom.

3.The social environment. My first meetup was actually a full blown convention!

4. I contribute by doing absolutely nothing! I participate by going to cons and meetups though and I enjoy it quite a bit!

5. A split between Princess Celestia and Princess Cadance!

How long have you been a brony?

- Five years now. I started watching the show in October of 2011

Why did you first start watching MLP?

- Curiosity I guess. I'd heard talk about the show and seen pony avatars popping up on sites I frequented, but didn't give it too much thought until I watched a retrospective video on the series at the time. What I saw interested me enough that I decided one day to give it a shot, and the rest is history. 

What drew you to the brony community?

- The tons of beautiful art and wonderfully written stories first of all, until I joined this forum and other places so I could talk about this show that i had suddenly come to love. 

How do you participate and or contribute to the community?

Besides posting on these forums, I've also written several fanfics, with a few still ongoing.  

Who is your favourite pony?

- Tie between Princess Celestia and Sunset Shimmer.

1.early october 2016

2.i just watched an episode randomly out of curiousity (applejacks day off)

3.all of the amazing remixes and gan projects

4.i dont do much except post here

5. Applejack she's the main reason i kept wathing the show

1. Almost 2 years now.

2. I'm pretty open minded, and after years of hearing about how many people enjoyed the show, I figured there had to be something to it. Turns out there was, and I've been here ever since.

3. Wanting to interact with others who enjoy the show.

4. Posting here and discussing the show with others.

5. Starlight Glimmer