Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

g3/core 7 Why do so many people hate generation 3?

chaosprincess

They don't.  Only the loud whiny minority hate it. It is very popular amongst the larger mlp community and was a big seller among kids. They're some of the most beautiful toys in the franchise.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bronies have always had a warped view of the franchise. MLP has always been primarily about the toys while the animations (especially from G1 and G3) were there to advertise the toys. They weren't the main dish, they were just little side things, just like the video games.

G3's animated series is not the best thing you will ever watch (but it does have its moments), and so Bronies take one look at that and don't realize that what really shines about G3 are the toys. The toys were high quality and had a lot of variety with really beautiful themes. They put G4 and G5 to shame a hundred times over. The series has been flipped at this point and it's sad to see. G5 toys are so... ugh. =(

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-01-18 at 8:22 AM, chaosprincess said:

I know generation 3 is not the most amazing generation, but it seems so many people hate it I like the art I think its really pretty and I don't see why a show has to have violence or combat to be considered good I must admit I do find the songs to be catchy now I'm not forcing anybody to like generation 3, but a lot of people consider it ugly and horrible which I feel they are over exaggerating now I'm not starting an argument or anything everybody has a right to their own opinion or things that they like I just thought I would start this topic and see what everybody thinks me personally I like generation 3 and a lot of ponies in generation 4 are from that generation so without generation 3 and older there would not be a generation 4 so do you like generation 3 or hate it and why?

I think there are problems with drawings

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-12-28 at 2:47 AM, MintySweet said:

I think there are problems with drawings

The art is typically what is disliked which is a shame the animation in my opinion was quite good except when they stop and dead stare for a few seconds just staring at you smiling lol.

The general consensus is that the art isn't up to snuff. The actual movies aren't inherently bad, but they were trying something somewhat different. The toys were very popular, so it dominated in that market, just as MLP always has.

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/18/2021 at 3:56 PM, Envy said:

The series has been flipped at this point and it's sad to see. G5 toys are so... ugh. =(

Oh yes!! G5 toys are a weird combination of G2 body and a childish head (not a big fan of the new gen's designs). By the way, regarding this topic, my favorite MLP art style is from G3, because those are detailed but cartoony (and cute!) at the same time very unpopular opinion lol.

• Brohoof 1

Jeez I haven't thought about Generation 3 and before in a while and I think I have a MLP Movie in the form of a VHS in my living room, though I think it's Generation 1. I wasn't much of a fan of Generation 3, though I might go back to it here and there for nostalgia since I was into it when I was younger. Honestly I prefer Generation 1 to Generation 3 if I had to pick between the two mainly because of the art style.

• Brohoof 2

On 2017-01-17 at 6:59 PM, Megas said:

It's a show about nothing. Literally it's only purpose for existing is to be cute and sell toys

Alright I’m backtracking on this claim because the real answer is that bronies are insecure fucks

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Because the show only exists to sell toys. So does G4, but the people who made FiM believed in its ability to entertain and put in the effort.

That said, the G3 TOYS are actually really good. That's where they put in the effort. This is something I rarely seen brought up in discussions of G3, because most bronies aren't interested in the toys, but collectors actually tend to love G3. I have a couple G3 toys and I really like them!

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2021-12-29 at 10:59 PM, Cash_In said:

The general consensus is that the art isn't up to snuff. The actual movies aren't inherently bad, but they were trying something somewhat different. The toys were very popular, so it dominated in that market, just as MLP always has.

That is very true

(edited)
On 2022-01-26 at 9:16 PM, Orchid_Fiore said:

Oh yes!! G5 toys are a weird combination of G2 body and a childish head (not a big fan of the new gen's designs). By the way, regarding this topic, my favorite MLP art style is from G3, because those are detailed but cartoony (and cute!) at the same time very unpopular opinion lol.

Yeah g5s designs ended up like a fusion of two different gen styles, but I like the style of gen 2 even though it never aired any episodes and remained just a toy line, but the g2 baby figures are so adorable as for the gen 3 art style I liked it myself g1 being my favorite art style of all the gens, but g3 still had a cute art style minus the dead staring with the smiles lol.

Edited by chaosprincess

On 2022-02-01 at 2:57 PM, Starforce said:

Definitely because of the style of the show. I can't stand anything previous to G4.

Everybody has their own opinion on what gens they like and what art style they prefer at the end of the day we are all fans and collectors

On 2022-02-01 at 3:16 PM, Scarlet02 said:

Jeez I haven't thought about Generation 3 and before in a while and I think I have a MLP Movie in the form of a VHS in my living room, though I think it's Generation 1. I wasn't much of a fan of Generation 3, though I might go back to it here and there for nostalgia since I was into it when I was younger. Honestly I prefer Generation 1 to Generation 3 if I had to pick between the two mainly because of the art style.

I prefer the g1 art style as well to other gens it has a lot more to it and the characters have more personality in my opinion in g1.

On 2022-02-01 at 3:17 PM, Megas said:

Alright I’m backtracking on this claim because the real answer is that bronies are insecure fucks

There is probably a host of different reasons on why people don't like g3, but each gen brought something new some liked some not.

On 2022-02-16 at 8:08 AM, Rose Tea Written said:

Because the show only exists to sell toys. So does G4, but the people who made FiM believed in its ability to entertain and put in the effort.

That said, the G3 TOYS are actually really good. That's where they put in the effort. This is something I rarely seen brought up in discussions of G3, because most bronies aren't interested in the toys, but collectors actually tend to love G3. I have a couple G3 toys and I really like them!

I agree the toy line was the biggest thing and there was a whole lot of different figures for g3.

On 2022-02-25 at 7:20 PM, sasuke said:

because bronies hate fun

Everybody has a preference some will  hate something and some will love something when it comes to fandoms of any show.

The old bronies looking back seem to not like it cause it has little to offer them compared to g4 and g1. Something i see recently is that all the new wave of adult fans that grew up with g4 are appreciating the older gens g3 included. My theory is that they stumbled upon those old gens while looking for g4 and learned to appreciate it. Me personally i am a new fan but grew up with neither. But while rewatching things from my childhood like the bayformers movies which you could argue are objectively bad ive learned that those are still made to entertain you and that is its main purpose, not neccesarily tell a story but to entertain you. g3 falls into this category and i like it as a result. Not a big fan of ponyville g3 tho

I have only watched FiM… I honestly started watching it when I was in the military. I wanted a show where I knew nothing bad was going to happen and found the characters to be so adorable that I needed to know more! I’ve finished FiM now, but looking at the other generations, I don’t really find them nearly as charming. Animation style is a big deal to me when i’m picking a show to watch; which my friend aays I’m missing out on a lot of good shows for being that way. 🤷🏻‍♀️ but I am who I am. 

• 1 month later...
(edited)

One reason could be that G3 impacted MLP in such a way that it gave it an inaccurate reputation of having only fluffy cuteness.

Seriously, what were they thinking? Even G1 had Spike threatened with beheading twice. The first time with a satanic centaur, and the second time was with a young boy.

I don't find G3 stupid but I find it as wasted potential. I think if the stories with the most fluffiness parts were used in a fairytale book format, it would have brought more freedom to the storylines.

Edited by Rosy Moonlight

• 4 months later...

So I should or shouldn't watch gen.3 I don't think the designs look bad, the "3.5" ones those, those are weird, but I came across a video of a pony named "Minty" yesterday, whom I believe to be unbearably cute, and I didn't know if I should give the show ola shot or not, plus I don't know if it has/follows a continuity or where to go to watch the generation 3 specials/shorts as it doesn't have a baseline title for the generation as a whole...

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't know, but I've met people who say g3 is ugly when they are talking about g 3.5. Common mistake, not a lot of people give the older gens a chance. I think they all look fine, just not too focused on em.

Edited by Figgy
  • Brohoof 1

On 2022-10-16 at 1:24 PM, Spook Conundrum said:

So I should or shouldn't watch gen.3 I don't think the designs look bad, the "3.5" ones those, those are weird, but I came across a video of a pony named "Minty" yesterday, whom I believe to be unbearably cute, and I didn't know if I should give the show ola shot or not, plus I don't know if it has/follows a continuity or where to go to watch the generation 3 specials/shorts as it doesn't have a baseline title for the generation as a whole...

G3 doesn't really have 'continuity' as such. The 'shorts' were nearly all packaged with the relevant toys as mini-DVDs or VHS tapes depending on the year the toy was made. The specials were things that showed up on TV pretty much at random. So they were all made to be watched in whatever order you came across them. If I remember correctly, there weren't any specials for G3.5, they were all packaged with toys. Until you got to Newborn Cuties. Those were very weird webcasts that I cannot in any way recommend seeing other than for completion.

I don't hate it personally but the drawing style is not very appealing neither it has any interesting plot behind it. It has the best opening intro of all generations however. Very very catchy!

"🌈 Dash always dresses in style" we all know she does... :ButtercupLaugh: