Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

g3/core 7 Why do so many people hate generation 3?

chaosprincess

I know generation 3 is not the most amazing generation, but it seems so many people hate it I like the art I think its really pretty and I don't see why a show has to have violence or combat to be considered good I must admit I do find the songs to be catchy now I'm not forcing anybody to like generation 3, but a lot of people consider it ugly and horrible which I feel they are over exaggerating now I'm not starting an argument or anything everybody has a right to their own opinion or things that they like I just thought I would start this topic and see what everybody thinks me personally I like generation 3 and a lot of ponies in generation 4 are from that generation so without generation 3 and older there would not be a generation 4 so do you like generation 3 or hate it and why?

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

It's pandering..... It insults the intelligence of the intended viewers..... It has zero substance, every character is a walking stereotype, and the conflicts are just plain garbage.

Well generation 4 is not to far off everybody has to be friends which is not realistic at all, pre time the movie comes out all ponies and creatures will be a princess, a good chunk of villains were reformed which is not realistic you can't take a killer and suddenly make them good.

It's a show about nothing. Literally it's only purpose for existing is to be cute and sell toys

Generation 4 is kind of the same thing its just a repeat bad guy comes, gets reformed, all friends, sparkles everywhere, everybody is now a princess.

Edited by chaosprincess
  • Brohoof 4

It's not stupid it's actually pretty cleverly written. It's just takes some thought to get the jokes. You know that some of the greats in animation did work on gen 3. *Cough cough* Sherri Stoner ya know writer for things such things as tiny toon adventures animaniacs the list goes on. Also some of our precious gen 4 has also all pretty much worked on form of MLP. Like Tabitha St Germain who plays Rarity also plays minty.

• Brohoof 4

I know people have the likes and dislikes. If they don't like it so much. They can find something else to do and move on. Simple as that. but they make it hard on themselves.  

Hint: Good thing I still have a nephew that like gen 3.

Edited by Unovas
  • Brohoof 3

From what I understand... 

1. It's pandering. Gen 3 was a show made to sell toys to girls. Gen 4 is too, but at least the gen 4 writers respect the intelligence of young girls enough to give them something of *substance* 

2. It's *boring.* There's little to no conflict; it's all fluff.

3. Now, this isn't really Gen 3's fault... but Gen 4 is so good, people hate Gen 3 for not being as developed. I can't be the only one that just shutters when they see Gen 3 Rainbow Dash...

4. The animation kinda sucks, although that may be because it's a bit older.

And that's coming from someone who LIKES Gen 3

Edited by ChubbyBunny
  • Brohoof 3

Generation 4 is kind of the same thing its just a repeat bad guy comes, gets reformed, all friends, sparkles everywhere, everybody is now a princess.

You can say that for any Hasbro franchise, they mainly exist to sell toys. But G4 MLP, Littlest Pet Shop(2013?), Transformers, GI Joe, etc., seem to also want to build interesting and fun universes or characters that the kids will love, however with G3, I, for the life of me, can't think of anything else that justifies its existence other than its cute and toys. None of the characters are very interesting and there isn't much that makes its world interesting

• Brohoof 1

I know people have the likes and dislikes. If they don't like it so much. They can find something else to do and move on. Simple as that. but they make it hard on themselves.  

Hint: Good thing I still have nephew that like gen 3.

I respect peoples likes and dislikes, but people seem to blow up generation 3 with hatred which I find odd its not that bad, but I agree if you don't like it don't watch it, but like I said I respect peoples choice and opinions I just kindly point out the similarities between the gens.

You can say that for any Hasbro franchise, they mainly exist to sell toys. But G4 MLP, Littlest Pet Shop(2013?), Transformers, GI Joe, etc., seem to also want to build interesting and fun universes or characters that the kids will love, however with G3, I, for the life of me, can't think of anything else that justifies its existence other than its cute and toys. None of the characters are very interesting and there isn't much that makes its world interesting

I agree Hasbro creates shows for the toys flurryheart being the newest toy maker her purpose is to make Hasbro the big bucks.

From what I understand... 

1. It's pandering. Gen 3 was a show made to sell toys to girls. Gen 4 is too, but at least the gen 4 writers respect the intelligence of young girls enough to give them something of *substance* 

2. It's *boring.* There's little to no conflict; it's all fluff.

3. Now, this isn't really Gen 3's fault... but Gen 4 is so good, people hate Gen 3 for not being as developed. I can't be the only one that just shutters when they see Gen 3 Rainbow Dash...

4. The animation kinda sucks, although that may be because it's a bit older.

And that's coming from someone who LIKES Gen 3

The thing with generation 4 is everybody is going to be a princess pre time it ends and its very predictable now, now I like to collect the figures of the older generations more then I like the show, but it has its own charm yes there is no violence in it , but generation 4 is still made for little girls as all mlp generations were.

The art style is so ugly and rainbow dash looks terrible. That is what I think

Each generation has their own art style which is a relief to see would not want to see the same art style for each generation.

• Brohoof 1

The thing with generation 4 is everybody is going to be a princess pre time it ends and its very predictable now, now I like to collect the figures of the older generations more then I like the show, but it has its own charm yes there is no violence in it , but generation 4 is still made for little girls as all mlp generations were.

Each generation has their own art style which is a relief to see would not want to see the same art style for each generation.

I don't completely agree with this, the only one that turned into a princess is the main character in the show! and ever since crystal empire they have been giving nods to the brony fans, its not just for girls (here we go again *paws ground*)

Edited by trademark2

What are you talking about?? The only one that turned into a princess is the main character in the show!

You do know its a joke right? even the people who make the show joke about it I mean princess big mac was a  joke Spike wanting to be a princess was a joke it just feels like everybody is going to be a princess.

• Brohoof 1

You do know its a joke right? even the people who make the show joke about it I mean princess big mac was a  joke Spike wanting to be a princess was a joke it just feels like everybody is going to be a princess.

Oh i didnt know that lol, I thought you were slammin on g4 for no reason. I was going to go all fanpony on you :D

Oh i didnt know that lol, I thought you were slammin on g4 for no reason. I was going to go all fanpony on you :D

I grew up with generation 1 so its why I defend the older generations now I love the fact that Hasbro placed the older generations into the show, but the princess thing was a joke I just feel like the movie is going to end with everybody as a princess lol, but I don't hate generation 4 I collect the figures, watch the show I just defend the older generations as fans of gen 4 defend gen 4 I don't want to start a fight over colorful ponies lol.

• Brohoof 1

I want my OC to be a princess! yayyy

Then you go and make your oc a princess I know I did lol actually the first alicorn appeared in my little pony pony tales which was a part of generation 1 it was a show n glow pony here is a picture of her shes the one in the middle.  tumblr_m6on360RRt1qiclz0o1_r1_400.gif

• Brohoof 1

Then you go and make your oc a princess I know I did lol actually the first alicorn appeared in my little pony pony tales which was a part of generation 1 it was a show n glow pony here is a picture of her shes the one in the middle.  tumblr_m6on360RRt1qiclz0o1_r1_400.gif

well, maybe the art style is not so bad after all... 

well, maybe the art style is not so bad after all... 

I know it seems I was hating on generation 4 I don't want to make anybody angry ya know as you can see I'm not that bad nor is my cousin princessofcompassion we just defend the older generation like you and others with gen 4, but I have no issues with gen 4 I like how each generation brings a different style now gen 3 as a show was a tad boring, but it had some funny moments like when Pinkie Pie asked Minty if she broke santa, but I respect everybody's opinion I know it seems I'm being mean with some of my post, but I am kindly informing others that generation 4 is just like the other generations its just different story line and design, but in the end  no matter what generation people like we are all crazy my little pony fans.

It's not stupid it's actually pretty cleverly written. It's just takes some thought to get the jokes. You know that some of the greats in animation did work on gen 3. *Cough cough* Sherri Stoner ya know writer for things such things as tiny toon adventures animaniacs the list goes on. Also some of our precious gen 4 has also all pretty much worked on form of MLP. Like Tabitha St Germain who plays Rarity also plays minty.

Animaniacs and Tiny Toons were such great cartoons back in the day I feel cartoons today don't have the same charm like they did back in the day of Dexter's Laboratory, original powerpuff girls and the list goes on now there is some great cartoons currently on like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls and some other greats ones.

I like g3. By far, it is the more peaceful era that the ponies have lived in. There are several characters that I like from g3- Toola Roola, Puzzlemint, Star Catcher, Kimono, Fiesta Flare. 

It's pandering..... It insults the intelligence of the intended viewers..... It has zero substance, every character is a walking stereotype, and the conflicts are just plain garbage.

now that's nothing but a lie. These ponies DO have character, in spite of popular belief

https://mlpforums.com/topic/146187-pony-spotlight-generation-3-is-there-more-than-meets-the-eye/

• Brohoof 2

I like g3. By far, it is the more peaceful era that the ponies have lived in. There are several characters that I like from g3- Toola Roola, Puzzlemint, Star Catcher, Kimono, Fiesta Flare. 

now that's nothing but a lie. These ponies DO have character, in spite of popular belief

https://mlpforums.com/topic/146187-pony-spotlight-generation-3-is-there-more-than-meets-the-eye/

I never said they had no character, I said they were walking stereotypes..... As in the characters falls into a very commonly used archetype. Minty for example is the well meaning klutz. Read and think about my words before making a brutish retaliation

Its nice having an era of my little pony where there is not always a monster attacking generation 1 is my favorite, but I enjoy generation 3 as well and I agree they do have their own personalities and some of the things that are said in generation 3 is funny like when Pinkie Pie said you broke Santa.

I never said they had no character, I said they were walking stereotypes..... As in the characters falls into a very commonly used archetype. Minty for example is the well meaning klutz. Read and think about my words before making a brutish retaliation

Every cartoon has stereotypes including generation 4 mlp Twilight is the know it all book worm, Fluttershy is the shy one, Applejack is the workaholic, Rarity is the whiny diva, Rainbow Dash is the sporty one and Pinkie Pie is the really crazy friend those are the common stereotypes you see in shows they are typically in pretty much a lot of shows so there's always going to be stereotyping no matter the show, game etc.

• Brohoof 1

Here a positive thing about G3 and same goes for G1 and G2. At least they don't keep reusing the same characters for the figure.  Plus you have to see G3 though the mind and the age of a 6-8 year old. Who cares if it's all fluff and not educational. As a kid watching this I'm sure wouldn't  give a damn about learning. And only think about 'oh how carefree they are"  

Of course as adult and watching G3, people would hate it. Our mind matured and we want educational things thus  viewing the old mlp though judging it by "god this sucks, G4 all the way. "

in short if you don't like the old generations, just step away from it and leave it alone as it is. The kids loves it anyways. 

Edited by Satrox
  • Brohoof 5

I don't hate it. I just find it cringy, and the animation of it is borderline horrifying. But the little girls who watched it (90% I'd say of the audience at least) don't really seem to care about the horrid animation and the lack of plotlines for the most part. Of course of the pilot because I couldn't watch more because the animations were just unbearably cringy to me.

But one to their own I guess. If you can tolerate something with tons of fluff and little story with a disturbing animation style, I don't have an issue with that.