Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

g3/core 7 Why do so many people hate generation 3?

chaosprincess

Here a positive thing about G3 and same goes for G1 and G2. At least they don't keep reusing the same characters for the figure.  Plus you have to see G3 though the mind and the age of a 6-8 year old. Who cares if it's all fluff and not educational. As a kid watching this I'm sure wouldn't  give a damn about learning. And only think about 'oh how carefree they are"  

Of course as adult and watching G3, people would hate it. Our mind matured and we want educational things thus  viewing the old mlp though judging it by "god this sucks, G4 all the way. "

in short if you don't like the old generations, just step away from it and leave it alone as it is. The kids loves it anyways. 

I agree with you I like the different poses for the figures of the older generations as well I prefer to collect the figures then watch the shows, but your right children are not going to care if it has a life lesson in it or what they look like all they know is that their colorful ponies that sing.

I don't hate it. I just find it cringy, and the animation of it is borderline horrifying. But the little girls who watched it (90% I'd say of the audience at least) don't really seem to care about the horrid animation and the lack of plotlines for the most part. Of course of the pilot because I couldn't watch more because the animations were just unbearably cringy to me.

But one to their own I guess. If you can tolerate something with tons of fluff and little story with a disturbing animation style, I don't have an issue with that.

Well the art style for generation 3 is not ugly, but different each generation brings a different drawing style.

• Brohoof 1

I agree with you I like the different poses for the figures of the older generations as well I prefer to collect the figures then watch the shows, but your right children are not going to care if it has a life lesson in it or what they look like all they know is that their colorful ponies that sing.

same here, I collect more than I watch. Also,  I give them credits for showing that they put the effort on the design for old generations figures. Colorful singing ponies, yeh that pretty much ties everything. 

• Brohoof 2

same here, I collect more than I watch. Also,  I give them credits for showing that they put the effort on the design for old generations figures. Colorful singing ponies, yeh that pretty much ties everything. 

Some figures are really pretty I find the generation 2 babies to be sooo adorable and I agree with you with generation 4 figures always being the same maybe they'll have a figure with a hoof up, but the rest are all standing and back then the poses were named after the ponies so you saw one and your like o that;s so so pose and not only that they had animal friend figures some had baby ponies that went with them others were just alone so I feel the creativity was big in the older generations, but in the end mlp is just going to be about singing colorful ponies not much more to say about it lol.

• Brohoof 2

Some figures are really pretty I find the generation 2 babies to be sooo adorable and I agree with you with generation 4 figures always being the same maybe they'll have a figure with a hoof up, but the rest are all standing and back then the poses were named after the ponies so you saw one and your like o that;s so so pose and not only that they had animal friend figures some had baby ponies that went with them others were just alone so I feel the creativity was big in the older generations, but in the end mlp is just going to be about singing colorful ponies not much more to say about it lol.

and let not forget the scented ones too.  Plus not only that  but their eyes is very detailed as well (G1-G3), overall great, great quantity for a mlp figure.  Now it kinda a bit well, plain,

• Brohoof 3

and let not forget the scented ones too.  Plus not only that  but their eyes is very detailed as well (G1-G3), overall great, great quantity for a mlp figure.  Now it kinda a bit well, plain,

I agree I like the older generation figures, but sometimes the scented ponies would smell funky lol, but my favorite is the twinkle eye ponies and the sparkle ponies are pretty as well and your right the eyes are more detailed and the cutie marks had more detail to them with the older gens.

• Brohoof 1

I agree I like the older generation figures, but sometimes the scented ponies would smell funky lol, but my favorite is the twinkle eye ponies and the sparkle ponies are pretty as well and your right the eyes are more detailed and the cutie marks had more detail to them with the older gens.

I actually own a few of the scented ponies one in particular I own does not smell like what its supposed to. To be honest I have no clue on what it smells like but the best way I could describe it as well it smells funky not like the cherry scent it is said to have. My personal favorite is the sparkle bodied ponies. Also Chaos you know what im talking about dosent help you ripped the neck plug out when I asked you to take her head off for me

Edited by PrincessOfCompassion

I actually own a few of the scented ponies one in particular I own does not smell like what its supposed to. To be honest I have no clue on what it smells like but the best way I could describe it is funky not like the cherry scent it is said to have. My personal favorite is the sparkle bodied ponies. Also Chaos you know what im talking about dosent help you ripped the neck plug out when I asked you to take her head off for me

Hey I can't help that I have Herculian strength.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't hate it, but I'm not a big fan of it either... because of how different from the previous gens it is.

It replaced G2, which was my favourite pony Generation (design - wise). I liked the G2 ponies for how graceful they looked with their long legs and necks. And I liked their delicate facial features! ♡

Meanwhile the G3 ponies were shorter and bulkier than the G2 ones. Plus, most of the G3's official art featured ponies with strong, square-ish nose and brow ridges (ever noticed that? They look so weird! D: ) and I HATED it. 

G3 also came out right when I transformed into an angsty teenager. XD My dark soul despised all things colorful and happy, so in my heart there was no room for the pastel equines. XD

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

People hate G3 because of the obscenely scary horse faces D: 

f6d75f251fbc6800a00f9ef140bf3be04d77bc7a

d95332740d21f27fb67dca1959977e1a1ab5b4e1

^The stuff of nightmares, I swear :o

But use the old G4 machine and it fixes everything!

cf9207c398c2623c92cb789786e340ebd0830f91

^Kawaii, sock-loving ditzy pony; 150% Brony approved!

The other reason people don't like G3 is it is clearly targeted to a VERY young female demographic; with messages like "Every girl is a princess in her own heart and the hearts of her friends". Not to mention the insanely OVERSATURATED color palette, which will have any adult experiencing eyestrain after a mere 40 minutes!

^Ugh, those colors are making me want to vomit as I type Q.Q

It is quite a shame since, on occasion, the bright vibrant visuals create quite the (tasteful) spectacle never before seen in any other Gen of MLP!

93151200629d05855208c0bd8588036e454cc354

^Screenshot straight from the show (from the episode "Come Back Lily Lightly fyi, which just so happens to be my 3rd favorite ep of G3 /)^3^(\ ) Scenes like this just evoke such potent emotions from me; it's like something straight out of a dream from my childhood ^///^

Another reason people don't particularly care for G3 as a whole, is the super saccharine tone and braindead writing. It comes off as pandering to youngsters in the same kinda way as Dora the Explorer (treat your viewers with some RESPECT, gosh dang darnit! xD)

Lastly, I'd say it lacks the incredible musical numbers of generation 4. Nothing even close to being on par with "Pony I wanna Be" or "The Magic Inside" for example. However, I have managed to find quite a few songs from G3 that have impressed me on all fronts:

^Some really quality stuff, if i do say so myself :o

G3 has been the butt of jokes for countless years on the interwebz. It wasn't until G4 came out and shattered all prior expectations that MLP finally garnered some respect from the adult cartoon-loving community. While G3 is a far cry from the lofty heights of cinematographic and literary mastery exhibited in G4, it STILL has quite a lot of entertainment value if you are willing to go in with an open mind and dig deep enough. 

My personal top 3 episodes would be:

#1 The Runaway Rainbow

#2 Friends Are Never Far Away

#3 Come Back Lily Lightly

Edited by K.Rool Addict
  • Brohoof 1

On 5/18/2017 at 1:35 PM, Merion said:

I don't hate it, but I'm not a big fan of it either... because of how different from the previous gens it is.

It replaced G2, which was my favourite pony Generation (design - wise). I liked the G2 ponies for how graceful they looked with their long legs and necks. And I liked their delicate facial features! ♡

Meanwhile the G3 ponies were shorter and bulkier than the G2 ones. Plus, most of the G3's official art featured ponies with strong, square-ish nose and brow ridges (ever noticed that? They look so weird! D: ) and I HATED it. 

G3 also came out right when I transformed into an angsty teenager. XD My dark soul despised all things colorful and happy, so in my heart there was no room for the pastel equines. XD

Gen 2 is a favorite of mine as well they look like Arabian horses to me which is my favorite breed of horse I don't like the magic motion figures, but the gen 2 babies are adorable I like the gen 3 figures I find them really pretty the show I did not care for since I am more of a collector then a watcher I would prefer to watch generation 1 then generation 3.

On 5/18/2017 at 2:29 PM, K.Rool Addict said:

People hate G3 because of the obscenely scary horse faces D: 

f6d75f251fbc6800a00f9ef140bf3be04d77bc7a

d95332740d21f27fb67dca1959977e1a1ab5b4e1

^The stuff of nightmares, I swear :o

But use the old G4 machine and it fixes everything!

cf9207c398c2623c92cb789786e340ebd0830f91

^Kawaii, sock-loving ditzy pony; 150% Brony approved!

The other reason people don't like G3 is it is clearly targeted to a VERY young female demographic; with messages like "Every girl is a princess in her own heart and the hearts of her friends". Not to mention the insanely OVERSATURATED color palette, which will have any adult experiencing eyestrain after a mere 40 minutes!

^Ugh, those colors are making me want to vomit as I type Q.Q

It is quite a shame since, on occasion, the bright vibrant visuals create quite the (tasteful) spectacle never before seen in any other Gen of MLP!

93151200629d05855208c0bd8588036e454cc354

^Screenshot straight from the show (from the episode "Come Back Lily Lightly fyi, which just so happens to be my 3rd favorite ep of G3 /)^3^(\ ) Scenes like this just evoke such potent emotions from me; it's like something straight out of a dream from my childhood ^///^

Another reason people don't particularly care for G3 as a whole, is the super saccharine tone and braindead writing. It comes off as pandering to youngsters in the same kinda way as Dora the Explorer (treat your viewers with some RESPECT, gosh dang darnit! xD)

Lastly, I'd say it lacks the incredible musical numbers of generation 4. Nothing even close to being on par with "Pony I wanna Be" or "The Magic Inside" for example. However, I have managed to find quite a few songs from G3 that have impressed me on all fronts:

^Some really quality stuff, if i do say so myself :o

G3 has been the butt of jokes for countless years on the interwebz. It wasn't until G4 came out and shattered all prior expectations that MLP finally garnered some respect from the adult cartoon-loving community. While G3 is a far cry from the lofty heights of cinematographic and literary mastery exhibited in G4, it STILL has quite a lot of entertainment value if you are willing to go in with an open mind and dig deep enough. 

My personal top 3 episodes would be:

#1 The Runaway Rainbow

#2 Friends Are Never Far Away

#3 Come Back Lily Lightly

I would prefer to watch generation 1 then generation 3 my favorite being Escape from Midnight Castle and others from the gen 1 series I am more of a collector then I am a watcher, but I do like some episodes/movies from gen 3, but would prefer to watch gen 1, but I feel each gen brings its own unique trait to mlp except newborn cuties that brings nothing, but nightmares lol.

4 hours ago, Leave a Whisper said:

"They're ugly and scary because they look like horses.*

Some things are to be loved, others are to be hated. But worst of all, is to be forgotten. That's what happened with G2 ponies, they are so forgotten as evidenced with the quote you quoted, AND they mistake My Little Pony Tales as G2 :lol: 

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

I grew up collecting the g3 figures/toys (which as a teen I gave to my cousin who liked the glittery yellow one I had? Forgot the name it's been a while.)

I have to say as an adult I prefer g4 because of design and it has a better storyline in my opinion but I don't hate the earlier generations. As for archetypes, all shows/cartoons have them.

This is something i've actually wondered a lot myself. I really love the Colours and mood of G3. Its just infectiously happy, way too hard to hate it. It has a certain childlike charm i could honestly never outright dismiss just bc i find it intriguing 

I think the 'hate' is mostly because the FIM centered fans seem to focus on the cartoons whereas someone like me who is a long time fan since G1 are more focused on the brand as a whole. For someone like me the cartoon is just an accessory, regardless of which generation we're talking about. So there is clearly a line where FIM centered fans seem to revolve solely around the cartoon, whereas fans of the whole brand of MLP look at the whole thing a little differently, perhaps more objectively.

Long time fans know that the G3 cartoons in particular were actually targeted at a much younger audience. If some 'new' fans had been in the fandom back when G3 first started, or if they actually did they're homework/history of the actual brand, they'd know that we fans asked the questions about the cartoon back then. Hasbro directly told us at the collectors convention that they were directing the cartoons at children younger, the 3 and under age group.

So for some people to base they're opinion of G3 only on the cartoon are either ignorant or simply bias; and don't know the facts/history.

The biggest reason why many people hate G3 is due to the fact that it represents a utopian society where things are always perfect and gives girls a false image of what society is. The characters are way too shallow and underdeveloped. It was a frantic effort to try to get money and viewership. 

I think for three reasons (this is just my speculation, not actual fact), one unlike G4 which was targeted towards families, G3 was targeted for little girls and it shows in its writing. Two, people around my age remember G3 as "that girly show on commercials". And three, which I think carries most of the burden the budget cut which gave us the lovely catastrophe known as G3.5.

Hell I use to hate on G3, until one day after watching a review of it, watching the guy talk about how shit the show is from a writer's perspective. I thought, maybe I should see for myself, so I did, I watched the first three episodes and found it amusing. It doesn't stand up to G4 in writing, but its amusing none the less. And to this day Minty is still my favorite pony.

35 minutes ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

The biggest reason why many people hate G3 is due to the fact that it represents a utopian society where things are always perfect and gives girls a false image of what society is. The characters are way too shallow and underdeveloped. It was a frantic effort to try to get money and viewership. 

Actually if we look back at G3, 2003, there was only one cartoon, a direct to video, and that wasn't even directly the first thing that came out, originally it was the toys first, later came the video. There were not like, 15 episodes or something. The next year was pretty much the same, lota ponies, one video for 2004. There was 1 video. I don't believe that 1 video directed the course for the little girls who liked MLP back then. It was more about the toy than the video, it's not the same thing you see now with FIM. In fact one video just shows that it was more like an 'accessory' than the be all and end all of MLP.

• 3 weeks later...

There were some interesting things in G3/Core 7/G3.5, but there's some things I find jarring that make it difficult for me to 'love' it. I don't hate them though. Though those last-ditch Newborn Cutie flash animations that were put together just before G4 was released were pretty bad overall. I only barely think of those as G3.5-ish as they don't fit anything else put out in that generation. They're sorta G3.75 or something.

I've watched all the available animations for all the generations, and the G3.x ones were the most... inconsistent. Not just when they moved from G3 to Core 7 to G3.5 and so on, but even within more narrow groupings. Mainly because there wasn't a series as such, it was all direct-to-video films and VHS/microCDs/DVDs that were included in certain toy sets. Without the Internet being available, it was assumed that no one person would see all of them, and *definitely* not seen in any kind of order. This allowed the artists/writers to jump about a bit and not worry at all about changes from video to video. Case in point: 'Friends Are Never Far Away' was one of the DVDs released with the Hidden Treasure toy. The art style was literally mixed. Some characters had heavy black outlines everywhere, while other characters had more subtle outlining that varied depending on what exactly was outlined. And these different art style characters would appear in scenes together. It was very odd to see and hard for me to get past.

If all I had seen were the bigger stand-alone movies like A Very Minty Christmas or The Princess Promenade, I probably would have had a higher opinion, but those lower-effort shorts did not sit well with me.

Even though I haven't watched anything from generation three, I have seen some snippets here and there throughout the years, and I personally liked what I saw. It might not be to everyone's liking but I wouldn't say it was terrible. I'm strongly thinking about taking a closer look for myself and make my own judgment. That being said, Newborn Cuties is perhaps the worst thing that not only came out of generation three but the MLP franchise as a whole.

• 4 weeks later...

I actually kind of like gen 3's art style, it's far from gen 4, but I kind of like it. The thing that makes gen 3 suck for me is the actual show, even if it's for young girls (MLP's target) it's just so...chessy? I don't know how to explain it, it falls flat for me, but I gotta admit some parts of it are actually kind of cute (I grew up with MLP gen 3 and I remember liking it, I even played with a lot of gen 3 ponies), even if gen 3's not as good as gen 4, so what? a lot of girls liked the show at the time, that was it's purpose, it looks weird now because we compare it to a better version. I'm not talking about gen 3.5, that's a whole different thing.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is old, oops.

Edited by XP_

• 4 weeks later...