Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Sunburst be related to Sunset?

ManaMinori

post-23572-0-95038800-1484939907_thumb.jpeg

While Big Jim says its unknown, I think sunburst very well could be.

https://mobile.twitter.com/VanceVance256/status/78023848680898560

For a while now, I've wondered WHY Sunburst had moved to the Crystal Empire after getting his cutie mark, then dropping out of magic school. Then I realized that it seems all too similar to another pony...one who was also Sunbutt's student, but abandoned her studies...one who also (technically) wound up in the Crystal empire, when a certain magical mirror was sent from Canterlot's throne room to the castle of Cadance in the Empire....the one and only Sunset Shimmer! Could it be that - plot convenience aside- Sunburst went to the Crystal Empire to wait for the return of his sister, who perhaps could be Sunset? No doubt as Sunbutt's pupil, and possibly relative to one of her other pupils, Sunburst would have access to that knowledge of Sunset's whereabouts, the mirror's wherabouts, and history with Sunbutt.

That's really the only reason that I can see that would put Sunburst in the Crystal Empire. For his (possible) long lost sister, in hopes she comes back through the portal.

But what do yu guys think? Are Suburst and Sunset siblings? How would you explain his being in the Crystal Empire, after events in Canterlot, if not for her?

post-23572-0-86048600-1484939463_thumb.png

Edited by Nightmare Muffin
  • Brohoof 2

I kinda do like this headcanon, even if given the separation of FIM and EQG means that this would be unlikely to be canon.

You sure about that?

https://mobile.twitter.com/mmeghanmccarthy/status/372926669180264448?lang=en

(And there's also the fact that Flash appeared in 3 episodes...one of which where he looked excited to sed Twilight, which couldn't have happened had eqG not been canon, right?)

But I digress. There's really nothing, that I can tell, that points to Sun and Sun not being siblings.

• Brohoof 1

But what do yu guys think? Are Suburst and Sunset siblings? How would you explain his being in the Crystal Empire, after events in Canterlot, if not for her?

My thoughts were he just moved to the Crystal Empire to live away from everyone who knew him in magic school and his old village. That way he could more easily avoid ponies who would either know he's a failure of a wizard, or ask him how he was doing and eventually find out he was a failure. And from what we've seen, not many other ponies have chosen to move to the Crystal Empire.

And I don't think he's living in the Crystal Empire for Sunset's sake since the mirror's not even in the Empire, it got moved to Twilight's castle in Ponyville before season 5 started.

Edited by Marimo
  • Brohoof 1

Pretty sure something about it would be mentioned in the show and it hasn't been. Seems to be a crowbar seperation between FiM and EqG and I like that a lot. Sure, it is an interesting theory since their colors and names match pretty well, but it doesn't go much further than that.

My thoughts were he just moved to the Crystal Empire to live away from everyone who knew him in magic school and his old village. That way he could more easily avoid ponies who would either know he's a failure of a wizard, or ask him how he was doing and eventually find out he was a failure. And from what we've seen, not many other ponies have chosen to move to the Crystal Empire.

And I don't think he's living in the Crystal Empire for Sunset's sake since the mirror's not even in the Empire, it got moved to Twilight's castle in Ponyville before season 5 started.

but if that were true, then he could've moved anywhere to get away from the ponies who knew him as a colt. Manehattan, Aapleoosa, Everfree Forest....he didn't have to move to the Crystal empire for that. 

and the mirror never got moved to Twilight's castle. It's still in the CE. Twilight, however, DID spontaneously CREATE a mirror out of plot convenient parts, in the basement of her castle. So there are two exits to the portal now- one in CE and one in Ponyville. stupid as it is. 

• Brohoof 1

but if that were true, then he could've moved anywhere to get away from the ponies who knew him as a colt. Manehattan, Aapleoosa, Everfree Forest....he didn't have to move to the Crystal empire for that. 

So? You said it yourself, he can move anywhere. Anywhere includes the Crystal Empire.

And he still likes to research magic even if he's not good at casting it. Crystal Empire would've had a lot of history and magic to look up that wouldn't have been available until it recently reappeared.

and the mirror never got moved to Twilight's castle. It's still in the CE. Twilight, however, DID spontaneously CREATE a mirror out of plot convenient parts, in the basement of her castle. So there are two exits to the portal now- one in CE and one in Ponyville. stupid as it is. 

She didn't create the mirror out of parts, she just created the machine that connected the diary Celestia used with the mirror. If she created the mirror too, it shouldn't look exactly like the mirror from Equestria Girls down to all the gems decorating it and it being purple and blue, especially when completely different looking materials were what made up the machine that connects the diary to the mirror. There wouldn't have even been a need to create a separate machine that connects to the mirror if she made that all up, she would've only had to design the mirror with the parts already attached to it to connect to the book.

Edited by Marimo

There's nothing that really indicates Sunset Shimmer having any family, or at least any family she cares about. If she does, she clearly had no qualms about leaving them behind for such a long period of time. And if there were people she cared about in Equestria, would she really have been so intent to conquer it? How exactly would she have spared them from whatever horrors she had in mind for the rest of ponykind? 

There are numerous additional reasons Sunburst could have moved to the Crystal Empire. Perhaps he wanted access to the rich history or the massive library. 

What? No, she didn't. Where on earth did you get that idea from?  

I'd say it's possible that Sunny and Sunburst are related. After all, we don't know where Sunny came from. As far as we know she could've come from the same town, plus their colors and name themes are similar 

Pretty sure something about it would be mentioned in the show and it hasn't been. Seems to be a crowbar seperation between FiM and EqG and I like that a lot. Sure, it is an interesting theory since their colors and names match pretty well, but it doesn't go much further than that.

when would Sunburst have had time to bring it up in the show? When the Crystal Empire was about to be blanketed in snow? When Starlight was trying to rekindle her friendship with him? When? 

i think he just moved to the crystal empire to hide himself, being to ashamed of dropping school.

and he choose CE instead another place bcause he's scientific/magic curious and a whole new empire from the past appeared from the nowhere! im sure he felt the urge to go and study it.

so yeah, i dont think they are related. 

if they are, i would like it tho. but as they said, i dont see starlight leaving equestria for so long without miss him, unless she thoughts he's dead.

i think he just moved to the crystal empire to hide himself, being to ashamed of dropping school. and he choose CE instead another place bcause he's scientific/magic curious and a whole new empire from the past appeared from the nowhere! im sure he felt the urge to go and study it.

That's more or less what I think. The Crystal Empire is both a place where few ponies if any would be likely to follow him, and it's got the aforementioned unique magical background. It's a win/win.

I don't see them as siblings or relations, and I'd frankly be surprised if either knows the other exists.

• Brohoof 1