Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sunset Shimmer and dragons of Equestria

ManaMinori

In the EqG 2014 Holiday Special, Sunset Shimmer says something of interest to me. “Back home, the closest thing we had to cellphones were magic-burping dragons.”. What's interesting is that Sunset appear older than Twilight in the IDW comic “The Fall of Sunset Shimmer”. She looks to be around the age of the CMC at that stage, while Twilight appears to be slightly younger than the CMC. On top of that, Sunset wasn't around for Twilight's entrance exams, as she had already gone off to the human world, so she never would've seen Twilight hatch Spike from his egg. If that was the case, then how would Sunset know about magic burping dragons (and also note that dragons is plural, in her statement), if she hadn't been issued one, or come into contact with one at some point, herself?

Could this mean that there are other dragons like Spike? Did Sunset have a dragon of her own? If more than one dragon existed (possibly in Canterlot, as that's where Sunset was, at the time of her upbringing), then why do ponies know “next to nothing about dragons”, as Twilight said in the episode of “Dragon Quest”?

post-23572-0-33363900-1484962547.png

• Brohoof 2

In the EqG 2014 Holiday Speciall...

the practical weesh would point out that maybe the writer didn't think this thorugh.

the whimsical weesh wants to believe that there are a handful of them that sunset would be aware of.  if they were dragons like spike, outcasts, or hermits, or profited at a young age, they would not have known about dragon culture enough to be of use in that arena.

good question.

Maybe that was an oversight by the writers, as in the show the contact with dragons was minimal. Then again, Sunny could've refered to the dragons seen in Spike and Luna's Friends Forever :huh:

• Brohoof 1

If I remember correctly, sunset shimmer had been spying equestria a little before the beginning of the EQG movie. This was how she knew where the crown was in order to steal it, as well as the existence of a new equestrian princess. perhaps she had discovered spike's ability during one of these spying sessions, though that doesn't necessarily explain why she said "dragons". I like to think that noble dragons existed before spike who performed very similar duties, but perhaps this only happens once every 500 years or something.

Could this mean that there are other dragons like Spike?

Maybe. But if that is the case, I personally believe that Spike is the only one who stayed by his "owner".

Did Sunset have a dragon of her own?

I do not think so, since she had her phone book.

If more than one dragon existed (possibly in Canterlot, as that's where Sunset was, at the time of her upbringing), then why do ponies know “next to nothing about dragons”, as Twilight said in the episode of “Dragon Quest”?

Since the comics are not really canon to the show or at least can get denied by the show, I think that the dragons in the show usually return to the dragon land after the students hatch them.

Edited by Fluidty
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe that was an oversight by the writers, as in the show the contact with dragons was minimal. Then again, Sunny could've refered to the dragons seen in Spike and Luna's Friends Forever :huh:

Really great point! Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it could have been possible.

Really great point! Glad I wasn't the only one who thought it could have been possible.

Thought about them just before posting the previous post. While it's true that the show don't always go out of it's way to preserve comic canon (sans few exceptions), the comic writers themselves are VERY careful with their own continuity