Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Little Doggy?

Neko-Chan

I fifth that notion.

Imposing your own tastes onto your pet like that is

Posted Image

I doubt those pets would care. How many times have you seen a dog analyzing itself in a mirror?

I like the one with the pink mane...

I clicked on this topic expecting to see really cute cartoon dogs in a style equivalent to the cuteness of the new My Little Pony cartoon. =(

I would never do that to my dogs. A few years ago my parents dressed up one of our dogs in a costume and I didn't really like that at all. Fortunately they haven't done so, since.

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm... that's pretty sad honestly. And a little bit creepy.

Also, why was this the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDyOD1C67J0

I clicked on this topic expecting to see really cute cartoon dogs in a style equivalent to the cuteness of the new My Little Pony cartoon. =(

I would never do that to my dogs. A few years ago my parents dressed up one of our dogs in a costume and I didn't really like that at all. Fortunately they haven't done so, since.

Ha, I was expecting a similar thing...let's face it, we are never gonna live in Equestria no matter how many dogs we make to look like ponies :P

I am not sure why people feel sorry for the dogs? The dogs don't know they are pink! There are pet-safe dyes used and these are the types of dogs that need to be groomed very often anyway, so to the dog it is just like a regular grooming (they don't know the difference between shampoo and dye). So don't feel bad for the dogs! They probably don't even notice, let alone care. Except the one with the hair extensions, and I read that one was done for a grooming competition so it's not something that was left on the dog.

In fact they probably like the extra attention they most likely get for it... I know when I used to dress my dog for costume contests, she didn't mind wearing the costumes and she'd actually wag her tail when I put them on because she loved all the extra attention she'd get at the contest.

I doubt those pets would care. How many times have you seen a dog analyzing itself in a mirror?

You're right, but I was referring to the hours they spent standing VERRRY still whilst being touched by complete strangers for their owners' sake. Not to mention the bridles I see on some of them, which must feel like a muzzle and take a while to get used to.

I'd ask Neko if he's sure his dog was wagging from happiness and not nervousness, but I feel silly questioning an owner about their own dog.

Then again, I've seen plenty of owners that misinterpret their pets' reactions (some aren't even curious about it), so I'll go ahead: Are you sure?

On hindsight, maybe it pisses me off because it reminds me of other dogs, not necessarily so happy to draw attention but still undergoing this sort of treatment.

Edited by Feather Spiral

You're right, but I was referring to the hours they spent standing VERRRY still whilst being touched by complete strangers for their owners' sake. Not to mention the bridles I see on some of them, which must feel like a muzzle and take a while to get used to.

The dogs in the photos are mostly poodles, which already require hours of standing very still by being touched by strangers because these dogs need to go to the groomer every 6 weeks or so, and their grooming is quite involved. Some people groom the dogs themselves but you have to learn how to properly use the clippers and how to do the proper breed haircuts, but some people probably also dye the dog themselves. The other one is a Chinese Crested which require extensive skin care and are often bathed weekly so they also should be used to the grooming process. The dye itself should not take hours, except maybe for the dogs in the grooming competition because in that case it is much more intricate. I know the type of dye they use and it only needs to stay in for about 20 minutes. These dogs spend a lot longer than that on the grooming table on a regular basis.

As far as the "bridles" those are actually Halti and Gentle Leader headcollars. It's a type of training collar made for dogs, as a more gentle alternative to other training devices that can cause pain. They allow the dog free movement of the mouth so they are not like a muzzle. Yes they do take some time to get used to since they are different from what most dogs normally wear but once the dog is acclimated to them it is a very useful tool. I would guess that those dogs are used to them because if they weren't they would not be accepting them like that. I sometimes use a Halti for my German Shepherd and it has been very helpful for us.

I'd ask Neko if he's sure his dog was wagging from happiness and not nervousness, but I feel silly questioning an owner about their own dog.

Then again, I've seen plenty of owners that misinterpret their pets' reactions (some aren't even curious about it), so I'll go ahead: Are you sure?

Yes, it was happiness. I know my dog. She was a very happy laid-back Golden Retriever who loved to get attention, and wearing a costume=more attention. Even if a costume was something she could easily remove herself if she wanted, she would leave it on.

I am well-versed in animal behavior/body language and I know the difference between a happy dog and a nervous dog. I was very in tune with my dog, this was not a dog who just sits and home and you play with a little. I trained her to a high level in obedience, and in agility and other sports... We also volunteered doing animal-assisted therapy together for 8 years, so we were very in tune and I had no trouble telling her moods.

As far as the coloring goes, I don't think this dog:

Posted Image

Is any less happy than this dog:

Posted Image

Edited by Neko-Chan

• 9 years later...

To all the people who don't know why we feel bad for the dogs...

This is total abuse. It is cruel. See that bridle on that one dog? These are the people who take it too far. I thought these would be the ponies but in dog form CARTOON STYLE. Putting stickers on your dog's butt? No. Dying their fur? Nope. Giving them manes and bridles? HECK NAW. So stop.