Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Question- How to Make Profit off of MLP Art?

valor

Hi everypony :0

I'm new to this forum, this is my first post so sorry in advance for any mistakes :')

As a young artist, I find myself wondering about my future all the fking time, and I'm not worried at all about IF I can get money in the future- I know I can- but it's more about HOW I'm going to make that money. I really don't want to end up with a miserable job that I hate. I want to make all of the right choices so that I can wake up every morning happy to be doing what I'm doing.

About three years ago I started drawing ponies on my phone for fun, and my interest in art has only grown since. I've made so much progress in art and I can pretty comfortably say that I can draw anything I want to, given enough time and the right materials. But ever since I started drawing ponies on my phone, I just can't really shake the fact that I like to draw them more than anything else. Ponies really make me happy and they make me enjoy art so much. I would really, reeeally love to have a job where I can wake up every day and just draw ponies to my fking heart's content, but I can't seem to fathom a way that I could do that...

So, put yourself into my shoes. You know the goal, how do I get there? Growing an art account maybe, but what site- Instagram, tumblr, deviantart, all of the above? And what content do I post- a comic with original ideas or fanart for the show characters? I'm very open to suggestions since I have a lot of time on my hands, but what areas do you think I should spend my time on in order to grow the fastest? Would starting a Patreon or YouTube channel be a good idea? Feel free to reply with any thoughts, and if you know of any pony artists who live off of their art, it would be awesome to hear about them.

@@valor, getting your name out there is a good idea, if you do indeed love drawing ponies and you are considerably good at it than i'd suggest doing some good old art commissions.
however i would not recommend relying on it as your only form of income, especially when first starting out. in saying that, your profile states you are 15. if this is the case you still have plenty of time to make something of yourself :) (i'd say almost 3 years, that's a lot of time indeed) i haven't seen any of your work but if it is really good you could try opening a commission shop here on the forums: https://mlpforums.com/forum/49-commissions/and on other sites as well, just so people have more means to stumble upon you.
be warned that to get enough money to get by on your own may be challenging. spend as much time as you can improving your art and getting "famous" so more people will want to buy/request art from you :P i wish you every success!

Even the best artists struggle, you will need to get reallly good! But it can be done! especially if you have a financially stable base, like parents willing to help you

Edited by trademark2