Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

offering critique Curve it Up: Using story curves effectively (Plus Backstory Critique)

Courageous Thunder Dash

The most important part of a backstory is it's curve. 

A story curve is defined by the ups and downs in a backstory. A backstory can start anywhere on the plane. However, it's the ups and downs that matter. 

The most difficult position you can put yourself is have your curve start in a high position. You will then have to come up with some way to bring that curve down. For instance, if your OC was born in a rich family and all of that, the usual route is the fire, family tragedy or natural disaster, which all three are quite cliche and overused. 

On the other hand, starting at rock bottom has potential to make a good OC. However, the ascension from rock bottom can't be too quick. You can't have your OC born to the poorest of families, and all of a sudden one day he becomes one of the richest ponies ever. First off, that's cliche as well and secondly, it'll make your OC a Mary Sue due to the fact that the rise from rags to riches was too quick and there was lack of development. Starting from rock bottom can be a good thing, because you can then develop your character. 

Finally, starting at a neutral point is a great starting point. You have the freedom to go up or down. Just make sure you balance the ups and the downs and keep them within reasonable range so you can recover from a down smoothly, and not end up like a Mary Sue. 

Still here?

I can evaluate your story from the curve's point of view. I'll give you pointers on the following

• The point where you start (Neutral, Down, Up)
  • The direction you take (Up to down, Down to up, etc.)
  • Where you finish

Be ready, I'll completely dissect your story from top to bottom to give it the best critique and evaluation. Don't be discouraged if I give you a load of things to work on/change. You can always come back for me to evaluate it again when you've finished your editing/changes. 

Hit me. First OC in signature. Please help.

Alright, your backstory is missing a lot of things. First, the curve you're starting at is at an upper point. Be careful. Saying he's a well renowned soldier means he could possibly be Mary Sue. What made him renowned? Secondly, maybe put a little something in there about a big loss since he carries a bomb around with him. This could really work in creating a down-to-up type of backstory. However, like I said, make sure that you don't go up too quickly. 

Fill in those blanks and send me a revised copy when you can. 

@@C. Thunder Dash, K. I'm trying to develop the character through roleplaying as I uncover more of his backstory. Thanks though, I'll send you the fuller version once my roleplay here https://mlpforums.com/topic/161725-journey/is over.

Be sure to have ups and downs, that way your curve can read well.