Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Condesending phrases you hate

CosmicHooves

List some or state one condescending phrase that is often heard that drives you nuts.

"educate yourself"

This phrase is used out of context pretty much every time it's used.

It's condescending because the phrase is used to assume the opponent hasn't done their research into the issue that their debating about.

In fact, if the person whom your debating with has a quite far-out stance, then at times this phrase can come across as another way of saying "brainwash yourself like I have".

But the real underlying message almost always is "you're an uneducated fool and that's why you're wrong".

No, fuck you.

If you're side right, tell me why, and don't give me this bullshit.

• Brohoof 3

1. It's insulting to people unfortunate enough to be circumcised,

Wait, how does being cisgender correlate with being circumcised? The definition of cisgender is:

"Denoting or relating to a person whose self-identity conforms with the gender that corresponds to their biological sex; not transgender."

Nowhere in there does it mention being circumcised.

Edited by Alphys Hedge

Wait, how does being cisgender correlate with being circumcised? The definition of cisgender is:

Nowhere in there does it mention being circumcised.

WOW whenever I see white Cis male, I thought it meant circumsized male. You NEVER see it used for females after all and you only see it used in America, that is why I thought it meant circumsized

Edited by trademark2
  • Brohoof 2

CIS means circumsized, so that's what the term looks like to me. if not then... its still insulting I think. Unless I am wrong. I can't find information either way and I don't remember how I originally came to the conclusion it meant circumsized, maybe it doesn't and I am wrong.

The "cis" prefix means "on the same side of", "CIRC" would be the abbreviation of circumcised.

CIS means circumsized, so that's what the term looks like to me. if not then... its still insulting I think. Unless I am wrong. I can't find information either way and I don't remember how I originally came to the conclusion it meant circumsized, maybe it doesn't and I am wrong. However, I have never heard of a cis female. Maybe it's because the only ones who use it are feminists?

OK I think it can have both meanings after doing some research. I wasn't aware of the other meaning, so it's less insulting than I thought, but still insulting

You could say you need to...educate yourself. ;)

But seriously, always look up the definition of a word before using it. It makes your point confusing if nothing else.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You could say you need to...educate yourself. ;)But seriously, always look up the definition of a word before using it. It makes your point confusing if nothing else.

I think he's just kidding.

Cisgender has almost never been used in the context he's referring to.

It'd be really hard to get confused in that sense.

(was a bit late posting this)

Edited by Blue Snow

Not technically "phrases" persay, but I feel like the modern internet usage of the words "autistic", "salty", etc really REALLY get on my nerves. The former mostly due to the fact that generally the person flinging the insult is attempting to inhibit the other party's individuality by claiming "they must be autistic" or something similar. I, for one, cannot stand any attempt to make people, as a whole, vastly similar to one another, whether it be pertaining to mental thought process (thought police-ing, if you will), or just judging someone prematurely based on what they are passionate about. Diversity is one of the most important things to me personally. I cannot imagine living in a world in which everyone is required to think/ act/ etc in the "way they are supposed to" or the "normal way". 

"Salty" I don't like due to the way people fling this insult around willy-nilly ad nauseum. It tends to sound extremely juvenile and makes me lose quite a bit of respect for the person using the word.

Next time some one tells you to "get over it" or "deal with it", break their legs and tell them to "walk it off"

^This too :o

• Brohoof 1

"Wrong!"/"You're wrong!"

I'd rather someone explain where and how I erred in a constructive manner. The phrase above is curt, and suggests that the other person is only interested in putting others down to make themselves look better. I prefer a more informative response that will help me to see things from their perspective.

• Brohoof 2

Next time some one tells you to "get over it" or "deal with it", break their legs and tell them to "walk it off"

How about this? "Stop being so depressed!!!". Woah, right, let me find the switch to turn-off my depression that I didn't know it existed :dry:. Yeah, since it works really NOT showing care or concern about a potentially deadly psychological illness, thank you :dry:

Another one is: "Why can't you be like others?" Yeah, sure, let's stop aiming for better because it's uncool and you'll be mocked for it :dry:

Oh, last one: "Why you prefer to be alone?" Uhhhhhm, maybe it's partly because of the above :dry:

• Brohoof 1

How about this? "Stop being so depressed!!!". Woah, right, let me find the switch to turn-off my depression that I didn't know it existed :dry:. Yeah, since it works really NOT showing care or concern about a potentially deadly psychological illness, thank you :dry:

Another one is: "Why can't you be like others?" Yeah, sure, let's stop aiming for better because it's uncool and you'll be mocked for it :dry:

Oh, last one: "Why you prefer to be alone?" Uhhhhhm, maybe it's partly because of the above :dry:

People just need to let other people BE themselves...

We have all these shows, movies, songs with messages like "be yourself" and people seem to really think that is a positive message YET many of them absolutely refuse to facilitate such an ideal in real life. Why allow such idealistic musings to remain mere musings when, with a little effort and consideration, they could make such things reality!

When people post unverified statements without sources, then demand you do the research to prove otherwise. That one bothers me a lot.

It also grates on me when people discount my words when they assume I'm a straight white male merely because I don't flaunt otherwise online. My sexuality is none of their business, and shouldn't determine whether or not they take me seriously in a debate, either.

Politically, the phrases "Both sides are the same" or "They're all the same" bothers me. It tends to be the refuge of people who don't really understand the situation or don't care enough to try to understand it, but still want to seem hip.

And, really... any time people are condescending in tone in general. If it's a serious discussion and you make serious points, I'll respond in turn. But if you try to talk down to me I will try to embarrass you. I do not put up with that from anyone.

• Brohoof 4

People just need to let other people BE themselves...

We have all these shows, movies, songs with messages like "be yourself" and people seem to really think that is a positive message YET many of them absolutely refuse to facilitate such an ideal in real life. Why allow such idealistic musings to remain mere musings when, with a little effort and consideration, they could make such things reality!

Yeah, they love to make an effort for us to be like everyone else. Hell, looking back, I feel most adults are offended because I know of many more things than most of them :dry:

"You need to show more respect".

No I fucking don't.

Respect is something that's earned, not something you owe to other people. So if I don't respect you, that means you haven't earned it. Instead of being a whiny bitch and demanding that I respect you, why don't you SHOW me that you deserve it by getting off your lazy ass and working for it.

I understand that some titles or conditions deserve respect. Old people, managers and supervisors, military personnel, etc. And yes, I do carry some amount of natural respect for these people (albeit pretty small). But I'll still flip off a 93-year-old veteran if he chooses to destroy that natural respect that I have for him.

Edited by Meson Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

"You only live once" or "Y.O.L.O."

It get's you an excuse to allow you to do stupid things otherwise causing your very own death or consequences and it's the most stupidest phrase ever.

But how is YOLO condescending?
  • Brohoof 1

Here is a phrase I often here in gaming communities that I absolutely HATE: "Git gud"

Gotta love the arrogant spelling of it too. This is a phrase I see often when a game might not have the most perfect of design, but people will just dismiss it as a 'lack of skill' for the person that is mentioning it. Basically it is a two in one combo. It not only dismisses any possible criticism of the game, but it fuels the egos of the ones saying it too. I despise it.

Here is a general phrase: "Do something about it."

This is one I hate simply because it is just idiotic. It is basically that person fully showing that they know nothing of one's situation and as such, instead of just providing a positive word or two, they go with the "Stop being lazy and do something!" It seems quite egotistical to say such a thing.

• Brohoof 5

For example, it may be used like if others where to do something uncanny and reckless in order to look greater and cooler than someone else.

For an act of attention?

Well you should tell people who say that they'll get nothing from gambling against the odds for no reason, and that it makes them less likely to take up any leadership role since they're willing to take risks for the sake of being reckless.

• Brohoof 1

"Kill yourself" is one that pisses me off every time I see it on the internet. Same with "drink bleach," which means the exact same thing. If you end up saying that to someone who actually is depressed and/or suicidal, then congratulations: you just made them feel even worse.

• Brohoof 5

For an act of attention?

Well you should tell people who say that they'll get nothing from gambling against the odds for no reason, and that it makes them less likely to take up any leadership role since they're willing to take risks for the sake of being reckless.

That's the reason why. There's no point in it but only to show one's ego.

"Well Played"

No, no it wasn't. Considering how short that round of Hearthstone was I clearly couldn't do anything to stop you. I had no idea of what you were doing, did not respond to anything you did and only did what I wanted to do on account of this being a game & me wanting to accomplish my own ends. All of that runs contradictory towards the concept of reacting towards you in a competitive manner and thereby the meaning of "playing well." Clearly, the only reason your hitting that specific emote button is to get a last parting shot at me as I indirectly explode from my own failure at this subpar game. I'm so not happy that your happy that you managed to beat someone before they could even respond or play the game they came here to have fun on.

Screw you, Mr. Opponent. Screw Hearthstone and the high horse you rode in on.

...If you'll pardon my American.

.... I hate winning.